YUEN firstname.lastname@example.org_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2008-05-03 published
WERT, Walter Ross, UE
Wally died peacefully April 23, 2008 in his 91st year. Born July 3, 1917 in Avonmore, Ontario, he graduated from Radio College, Toronto, as a Commercial Radio Operator in 1937. During World War 2, Wally served in the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals (#2 Special Wireless) and was awarded a special mention in dispatches for his work in Britain and Europe. He married Aleen (née WALTON) in England on July 31, 1943. At the end of the war, they settled into their first home in Montreal, where later their three daughters were born. Wally resumed work at RCA Victor, aligning and testing the first television set built in Canada in 1948. In 1957 the family moved to Chalk River, Ontario, where Wally designed and built their home while working as an instruments technician at Atomic Energy of Canada. For 18 years he partnered in 'Electronic Services', a home-based radio and television repair business. Wally retired in 1978 and two years later moved with Aleen to White Rock, British Columbia, where he continued to document his family genealogy until the end of his life. He self-published two books of his family history and a third about his war experience in Special Wireless. Wally was predeceased by daughter Joyce (FAIRBANKS) in 1993, and is survived by wife Aleen, daughters Anne (Sze-Yin) YUEN and Karen (John) RICHARDSON, son-in-law Bryan FAIRBANKS (Rebecca,) 3 Fairbanks and 4 Yuen grandchildren, and 2 great-grandchildren. Cremation has taken place and a gathering to celebrate Wally's life is planned for July 3, 2008, in Surrey, British Columbia. In remembrance of Wally, his family requests that donations be sent to White Rock Hospice Society, 15510 Russell Ave, White Rock, British Columbia V4B 2R3 to be put towards construction of a local hospice. Victory Memorial Park Funeral Centre 604-536-6522 www.victorymemorialpark.com
Y... Names YU... Names YUE... Names Welcome Home
YUEN email@example.com_county.toronto.toronto_star 2008-01-21 published
Innocent shooting victim 'worked hard'
By Michele HENRY and Betsy POWELL, Crime Reporters with files by Joanna SMITH, Donovan VINCENT and Tonda MacCHARLES.
Tomorrow would have been his last day on the job.
Hou Chang MAO, the city's second innocent victim of gun violence in a week, was days away from ending his tenure in the fruit and vegetable department of Fu Yao Supermarket when he was killed by a stray bullet Thursday night. MAO was stacking oranges on a display outside the Gerrard St. E. store when he was caught in the crossfire of a gun battle waged by two warring groups.
Described as honest, the kind of man who would pick only the nicest fruit for his customers, MAO 47, had worked at the small but busy market in the heart of Chinatown east for about two years -- ever since immigrating to Canada from Fuqing, a small coastal town in China.
He quit earlier this week, a family friend said yesterday. The father of two had agreed to stay until tomorrow due to his boss's pleadings.
MAO quit because he didn't like working outside in the cold, said the friend, who stopped by the family's home last night and did not want to be named. "He was a very good person. He worked hard and was kind to everyone. It's unbelievable "
Late yesterday evening, just feet from where MAO was struck, his younger brother met with local members of the Fuqing community to discuss funeral arrangements.
Hou Tan MAO talked privately with about 10 others, in an inner room at Fu Yao. He was appealing to people from his hometown on behalf of MAO's children, Zuo Xi, 22, and Yun Yam, 18, who both immigrated to Canada in the past two years and lived with their father in a house that sources said the father recently purchased. Friends said MAO's wife lives in China.
"They are really devastated," Jack LI, president of the Fuqing Association of Canada, said of the siblings while at Fu Yao last night for the discussion. "It's a really, really big surprise to us. It's a shock."
LI said he will post a plea in Chinese newspapers calling for help for the family of Toronto's third homicide victim of 2008.
A bouquet of flowers tied to a pole outside the store, and bullet holes in cars and on buildings on the north and south sides of Gerrard, are reminders of the shooting.
People ducked for cover as the bullets flew, but MAO was struck in the torso. He staggered toward the brightly lit entrance of the store where he worked and collapsed. He died later in Saint Michael's Hospital.
While no weapons have been recovered, police said they found two types of bullet casings at the scene of the shooting, which began amid the dinnertime rush of shoppers, around 6 p.m. Officers are searching for two male witnesses: seen leaving the scene shortly after the gun battle in a silver car with a shiny round grille.
Homicide Det. Pauline GRAY/GREY said police have more than 100 hours of surveillance tape to go through and appealed for witnesses: especially the two men, who are not considered suspects -- to come forward.
It's the second such murder in Toronto in less than a week. John O'KEEFE, 42, a father of one, was shot last weekend as he walked past the Brass Rail tavern on Yonge Street, just south of Bloor St. Two men have been charged with first-degree murder.
Even though last month Brian RAYBOULD, head of Toronto's homicide squad, suggested the chances of being a homicide victim are minute if you're not engaged in a criminal lifestyle, politicians yesterday called for a handgun ban.
Mayor David Miller toured the area yesterday morning and said he plans to ask Michael Wilson, Canada's ambassador to the U.S., for his assistance and will meet Monday with Ontario's new Attorney General, Chris Bentley.
"One of the items on the agenda will be handguns and how we can work together -- the province and the city of Toronto -- to deal with this issue," Miller said yesterday. Miller and Premier Dalton McGuinty want Ottawa to ban handguns.
The federal Tories say that won't address the "real problem."
"Handguns are already extremely tightly controlled," Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day said in a written statement.
Irrespective of calls for a ban, Insp. Peter YUEN of 55 Division, which includes the Gerrard strip, said the area is peaceful, not "crime-ridden," and still a safe place to shop, live and work. "This is a very rare occurrence," he said.
How 2 letter Surnames like LI work in OGSPI
Y... Names YU... Names YUE... Names Welcome Home
YUEN - All Categories in OGSPI