All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"EDG" 2007 Obituary


EDGAR o@ca.on.grey_county.owen_sound.the_sun_times 2007-08-02 published
Man charged with murder in brother's death
Police release few details about 18-year-old's death
By Doug EDGAR, Thursday, August 02, 2007
One brother is dead and another is charged with his murder after Ontario Provincial Police officers were called to a home in the former Kincardine Township Tuesday night.
John Robert FORRESTER, 18, is dead and Asa John FORRESTER, 22, is charged with second degree murder, South Bruce Ontario Provincial Police said in a news release Wednesday.
Officers from the detachment and Bruce County paramedics were called to the FORRESTER home on Concession Road 5 of the former Kincardine Township, Const. Jeff MERCEY said Wednesday afternoon.
"It came through dispatch in London as a call for assistance just prior to midnight," he said.
They found John FORRESTER "with critical injuries," MERCEY said in a news release.
The teen was immediately taken to hospital in Kincardine, where he died of his injuries.
MERCEY said he could not comment on the nature of the younger FORRESTER's injuries, since the information could be evidence, nor could he comment on what happened before police were called.
"We're still investigating that," he said. "There isn't a lot of information we can release."
John FORRESTER attended Kincardine District Secondary School, where he took part in athletics including track and field and hockey.
"He had just successfully graduated in June," Kincardine District Secondary School principal Dan HOBLER said Wednesday evening.
The school cafeteria was to open at 9 a.m. today for students or others who might want help dealing with FORRESTER's death. The school board's tragic response team was to be there.
"We don't know much detail," HOBLER said. "We just want to be there for anyone who needs it."
The news came as a shock, said Tanya BYERS, who coached John FORRESTER in Grade 9, when he reached the Ontario Federation of School Athletic Associations regionals in midget hurdles, and again this spring, when he trained in shot put and discus.
While they were not close, BYERS said FORRESTER had said he wanted to be a helicopter pilot.
"He was a pleasure to coach," she said. "He was a very likeable guy.Asa" John FORRESTER was to make a court appearance in Walkerton Wednesday afternoon and would likely be back in court today, MERCEY said.
The investigation is being directed by Det.-Insp. Bill RENTON of the Ontario Provincial Police's criminal investigation branch, with help from South Bruce detachment officers. An Ontario Provincial Police forensic identification unit based in Mount Forest has also been called in.
"We still have police at the scene," MERCEY said late Wednesday afternoon.
The last homicide investigation in the Kincardine detachment area was in 1994, he said.
John FORRESTER was a student at Kincardine District Secondary school, where he competed in track and field events.

  E... Names     ED... Names     EDG... Names     Welcome Home

EDGAR o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2007-06-14 published
CLARKE, Alan Martin (August 1, 1929-June 12, 2007)
After a full and wonderful life, and a long struggle with Parkinson's Disease, Alan died in Toronto on June 12, 2007 at the age of 77. Alan cherished his family, and will be forever missed by his beloved children Andrew (Lucy VAN OLDENBARNEVELD,) Beth (Laura CABOTT,) Jeffrey (Jane RUPERT,) and Matthew Devlin (Alexandra KIRBY,) his granddaughters, Ella and Grace, and Margot, his wife of 40 years. He leaves behind his brother Edgar (Betty), his sisters, Mary (Haruo KAWAI,) Harriet (Jacob ENNS) and Margaret (Sidney TJEPKEMA, his sister-in-law, Vicki BRODDY, and many nieces, nephews and life-long Friends. The son of Emily (EDGAR) and Lorne CLARKE, Alan was born in Stratford, spent his early years in Sudbury and his childhood and teenage years in Ottawa South. He graduated from Glebe Collegiate Institute and Victoria College, University of Toronto with a bachelor's degree in philosophy and ethics. Alan dedicated his life to social change through adult education, and community development. He was also a committed advocate for human rights. In the 1950s he spent several summers as a labourer/teacher and then supervisor for Frontier College beginning a lifelong interest in fostering adult literacy. He worked for ten years with the Young Men's Christian Association at various branches in Toronto. In 1958 he was the founder and first director of The Centre for Adult Education at the North Toronto branch which led to the founding of York University in 1959. From 1960 to 1966 he was Executive Director of the Canadian Citizenship Council and concurrently, for three years, of the Canadian Centenary Council. His next challenge was as the first Executive Director of the Company of Young Canadians, 1966 to 1968. He began a fifteen year tenure at Algonquin College in 1970 as the Director of the Demonstration Project in Community Development and then as the Director of Continuing Education. In 1985-86 he was Advisor to the Canadian Emergency Coordinator for the African Famine. The last ten years of his formal working career were as Communications Advisor for the International Joint Commission. Throughout his working life and as a volunteer in retirement, Alan worked with many local, national and international organizations, contributing, among others, to Project 4000, the Movement for Canadian Literacy, and the United Nations Association in Canada. He was a contributing author to 'Strong and Free: a Response to the War Measures Act', in 1970. Alan's family would like to express a great debt of thanks to the 3rd and 4th floor staff at the North York Seniors Health Centre, especially Lidia and Mary-Helene. The family would also like to thank Estelle REED for the love and care she provided in Alan's last years. A memorial service celebrating Alan's life and legacy will be held in Ottawa at the First Unitarian Congregation, 30 Cleary Avenue, on Sunday June 17, at 3: 30 p.m. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Alan's memory to the Parkinson Society of Ottawa, 1053 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, K1Y 4E9.

  E... Names     ED... Names     EDG... Names     Welcome Home

EDGAR o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2007-06-16 published
He steered Canada's answer to the Peace Corps through rough waters
As executive director of the Company of Young Canadians in the idealistic Sixties, he fended off critics who said it was infiltrated by Communists
By Douglas McARTHUR, Special to The Globe and Mail, Page S10
Toronto -- As a toddler during the Depression, Alan Martin CLARKE helped his mother hand out food to men riding the rails in search of work. As a university student he spent summer months with the adult-literacy organization Frontier College, toiling on a railway gang during the day and teaching his co-workers to read in the evening.
Those early acts kicked off a lifelong commitment to adult education, social action and human rights, in which he played key roles with Frontier College, the Young Men's Christian Association, Algonquin College, the International Joint Commission and the United Nations Association in Canada.
But no job brought him more publicity, good and bad, than his stint from 1966 to 1968 as executive director of the fledgling Company of Young Canadians. He headed the government-financed agency at a time when the press and many politicians were charging it was controlled by Communists, radicals and Québécois separatists.
"Alan's life touched a lot of people," says David MacDonald, a former Conservative cabinet minister who hired Mr. CLARKE for projects several times. "He was a community educator par excellence. He had an intense interest in citizen empowerment."
Over the years, Mr. CLARKE fought for many causes, both as an employee and as a citizen volunteer. Early in his career, he played a key role in the establishment of Toronto's York University. He worked in Ottawa to help settle Vietnamese "boat people" fleeing Communism in 1979, to raise funds for African famine relief in 1985 and 1986, to help Canadians increase their reading skills through the Movement for Canadian Literacy and to turn an old Ottawa courthouse into a centre for the arts.
He first came to national prominence in the 1960s as head of the beleaguered Company of Young Canadians. The group, modelled roughly on the U.S. Peace Corps, was created by prime minister Lester Pearson's Liberals during a turbulent era when baby boomers were coming of age and questioning traditional values. The Company of Young Canadians's mandate was to deploy young Canadians in impoverished communities across the country where they would help people better their lives.
In 1967, opposition members demanded the government put the Company of Young Canadians on a short leash after two volunteers, David DePoe and Lynn Curtis, took part in a rally against the U.S. war in Vietnam.
Mr. CLARKE insisted the volunteers had acted strictly as individuals, and threatened to resign if the prime minister didn't defend the agency's independence in Parliament. Eventually, Mr. Pearson did just that, thanks to the intercession of Marc Lalonde, then a member of the Company of Young Canadians council and an adviser to the Prime Minister's Office. Mr. Lalonde would later become a cabinet minister under Pierre Trudeau.
Mr. CLARKE's victory was short-lived, however, as new charges of radicalism and overspending continued to dog the organization. In 1968, Mr. CLARKE was ordered by the office of Gérard Pelletier, then secretary of state, to fire Martin Beliveau, a Quebec employee accused of separatist leanings. Despite his misgivings, Mr. CLARKE asked Mr. Beliveau to resign, then he handed in his own resignation.
Mr. CLARKE quit on a matter of principle, says Stewart Goodings, who replaced him as executive director, and was to quit himself within a matter of months.
"No one man could have solved the dilemmas that CLARKE faced daily," wrote Ian Hamilton in his 1970 book, The Children's Crusade: The Story of the Company of Young Canadians. He praises Mr. CLARKE for fighting for the group's independence and involving the volunteers in decision making, but faults him for not hiring people capable of keeping the Company of Young Canadians on an even keel. The group was brought under government control in 1969 and finally disbanded in 1976.
Co-workers remember Mr. CLARKE as a serious man who worked long hours. But his family saw his fun-loving nature.
"Every so often he would come into our bedrooms, stark naked and carrying just a briefcase," recalls his oldest son, Andrew. "He'd say, 'Okay, I'm off to work.' The children, fearing he was so distracted he had forgotten to dress, would rush downstairs to head him off. They would find him hiding in the closet.
The son of Emily (EDGAR) and Lorne CLARKE, both teachers, he grew up in a strict Baptist home in Sudbury. The family later moved to Ottawa where he was graduated from Glebe Collegiate Institute.
While earning a degree in philosophy and ethics at the University of Toronto, he spent his summers as a labourer-teacher and later as a supervisor with Frontier College. He went on to become first a member, then chairman of the college board. He was employed during his university years, and immediately after, by the Young Men's Christian Association. In 1958, while serving as founder and first director of the Centre for Adult Education at the Young Men's Christian Association's North Toronto branch, he was a member of the group that set up York University. York recognized his contribution in 1992 by awarding him an honorary degree.
In 1958, he married Margo BRODDY, a teacher, and lived with her for more than 40 years. They separated in 1998 and were divorced in 2003. They had three children together: Andrew, Beth and Jeffrey. He had another son, Matthew DEVLIN, through a separate relationship.
Alan CLARKE never paid attention to the speed limit when driving, says his son Andrew. "The only times my dad stepped on the brakes were for stop signs, red lights and to check out pretty girls."
At the family dinner table, Mr. CLARKE challenged his children by leading discussions about current events. "He wanted us kids to learn to think things out for ourselves," says his daughter Beth.
Prior to Mr. CLARKE's appointment with the Company of Young Canadians, he served six years as executive director of the Canadian Citizenship Council and concurrently, for three years, as director of the Canadian Centenary Council. For 15 years, starting in 1970, he worked at Ottawa's Algonquin College as director of a community development project and later as director of continuing education.
In 1985, he was hired as an adviser to David MacDonald, who had been named Canadian emergency co-ordinator for the African famine. Mr. MacDonald says he was initially reluctant to hire Mr. CLARKE because he had employed him in the past, and because they were close Friends. He feared the appointment would look like nepotism.
But he went ahead when Joe Clark, then prime minister, insisted Mr. CLARKE was the only person capable of motivating Canadians to contribute. A Decima poll later showed that two out of every three Canadians made a donation.
For the next 10 years, Mr. CLARKE served as communications officer with the International Joint Commission, a Canadian-U.S. body that deals with issues concerning shared boundary waters. Mr. CLARKE joined the board of the United Nations Association in Canada in 1989, and worked there on a contract basis after his retirement from the International Joint Commission in 1996. He continued to come into the office after he was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease but realized that his memory was starting to fail.
"He was remarkably calm as he faced that challenge, recalls Joan Broughton, the group's public information officer. "It was tough to watch and wonderful to watch at the same time."
In 2000, he moved in with Estelle REED, a civil servant and long-time friend. They lived together first in Ottawa and later in Toronto. She continued to care for him after he was admitted to North York Seniors Health Centre in Toronto, where he was to live for 2½ years.
Alan Martin CLARKE was born on August 1, 1929, in Stratford, Ontario He died in Toronto on June 12, 2007, of complications from Parkinson's disease. He was 77. He leaves his wife of 40 years, Margo (née BRODDY;) children Andrew, Beth and Jeffrey CLARKE and Matthew DEVLIN; two granddaughters, Ella and Grace CLARKE a brother Edgar; three sisters, Mary, Harriet and Margaret; and his common-law partner, Estelle REED, . A memorial service will be held tomorrow at the First Unitarian Congregation, 30 Cleary Avenue, Ottawa at 3: 30 p.m.

  E... Names     ED... Names     EDG... Names     Welcome Home

EDGAR - All Categories in OGSPI