All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"McAV" 2006 Obituary


McAVELIA o@ca.on.grey_county.owen_sound.the_sun_times 2006-06-27 published
EECHAUTE, Robert Paul
65 years, passed away peacefully at home on Saturday June 24, 2006. Beloved husband of Diane EECHAUTE, Leamington. Sadly missed by son Sean and his fiancee Diane WAGLER, Stratford, Ontario. Dear brother of Marg PERRY and Dorris TURRIL, Warkworth, Ontario. Uncle to Wendy and husband Mark ROWE and their son Nickolaus, Mike PERRY and partner Heather MacAVELIA, Cindy and husband Brant MacAVELIA, all of Warkworth, Ontario. Beloved son of the late Larry and Violet EECHAUTE. Predeceased by sister Dorothy RIEDIGER, and nephew Jay RIEDIGER. Bob was retired from the Ford Motor Co. Essex Engine Plant. Member of the Royal Canadian Legion Br. 84, Leamington and member of Erie Shores Golf and Country Club. Always with us, bigger than life. Keeping the watch, our Buff. Appreciation of family and Friends not forgotten. Condolences only please. Arrangements entrusted to the Reid Funeral Home 14 Russell Street, Leamington (519-326-2631). Condolences may be sent at
Page B5

  M... Names     Mc... Names     McA... Names     McAV... Names     Welcome Home

MCAVELIA - All Categories in OGSPI

McAVITY o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2006-05-02 published
Bill MILROY, Army Officer And Consultant: (1920-2006)
Major who won a D.S.O. during the closing weeks of the Second World War later became a lieutenant-general and was given command of the Canadian Army
By Buzz BOURDON, Special to the Globe and Mail, Page S9
Ottawa -- By April of 1945, Bill MILROY was tired, bone tired, after more than a year of almost continuous fighting in Italy, Belgium and the Netherlands. Mr. MILROY, a major commanding B Squadron, 2nd Canadian Armoured Regiment, knew that Germany was in flames and close to surrendering, but when and where the Second World War would end was anyone's guess.
Hundreds of thousands of German soldiers fought tenaciously to defend their homeland and for Mr. MILROY and his battle-weary troopers, there were always more of them to kill or capture before they pointed their Sherman tanks toward the next objective. Still, they could almost smell the end.
"There was excitement in the air. It was difficult to realize that we were at last on Dutch soil and only a few miles from Germany," wrote Lieutenant-Colonel J.M. McAVITY in his 1947 history of the Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians). "It had seemed very far away during the past year."
Fresh orders arrived on April 10, 1945. Mr. MILROY and his regiment were ordered to support the British army in Operation Cleanser, known as the second Battle of Arnhem, in the Netherlands. The Strathconas would fire their 75-millimetre guns in support for the assault, then push to the Zuider Zee, now called Ijsselmeer, 50 kilometres away.
Deploying his tanks with his customary skill, Mr. MILROY -- known affectionately to his men as Billy the Kid -- ran up against strong opposition from German anti-tank guns and infantry during the week-long race to the sea. On two separate occasions, on April 15 and April 17, Mr. MILROY, displaying "great personal gallantry," dismounted from his tank to make a personal reconnaissance on foot. "Then, in both cases, from the information gained, he put a plan into effect which was highly successful and most skillfully controlled and ensured the further advance of the regiment," an official citation said.
Sixty-one years later, Robert GREENE, an Anglican canon living in Calgary, remembers feeling alarmed when Mr. MILROY climbed down from their tank and walked down the middle of the road. At that time, Mr. GREENE was Mr. MILROY's gunner in their tank, which they had nicknamed "Brown."
"I jumped out with a Tommy gun and followed him to give cover. I said, 'Sir, shouldn't we be in the ditch?' He was fearless," said Rev. GREENE, who fought with Mr. MILROY for almost two years. "We would have followed him everywhere. He was a great commander." For his tactical brilliance, Mr. MILROY was awarded the Distinguished Service Order, one of only five Strathcona officers to receive it during the war. "During the entire period, Major MILROY was tireless in his efforts, consistently showing the greatest skill in handling his squadron and displaying magnificent coolness under fire," the citation said.
Bill MILROY grew up in small-town Saskatchewan where his father managed the local bank. After working on his grandfather's farm for several summers, he studied commerce at the University of Alberta and joined the Canadian Officers' Training Corps. Commissioned as an officer, he volunteered for overseas service and joined Lord Strathcona's Horse on August 13, 1941. That November, the regiment left Camp Borden, Ontario, for Britain.
Two years later, Mr. MILROY got his first taste of modern armoured warfare when he landed in Italy on December 1, 1943. For the next 11 months, he and B Squadron struggled up the Italian peninsula with the 5th Canadian Armoured Brigade. On May 24, 1944, he fought in the battle of Melfa River, part of Operation Chesterfield, in which Field Marshal Sir Harold Alexander's Eighth Army attack the Hitler Line south of Rome. In a two-day battle, the Strathconas' reconnaissance troop crossed the Melfa River, established a bridgehead and held it until a company from the Westminster Regiment, commanded by Major J.K. Mahony, arrived. Major Mahoney was later awarded the Victoria Cross. Shortly after, the Strathconas' commanding officer was wounded and Mr. MILROY took over temporarily.
Almost four months later, Mr. MILROY was wounded during the battle of the Gothic Line, a heavily fortified, mountainous defensive line that stretched across Italy north of Florence. During the action, Mr. MILROY and B Squadron repelled a German counterattack in the middle of the night that included fierce hand-to-hand fighting.
After things settled down, Mr. MILROY held a brief conference with two of his officers. Then the unexpected happened. "[It was] pitch black when what I assume was a German still in the area [threw] a grenade in our midst. When I came to, I was the only one left," he told his son Rollin in 1992. The explosion cost Mr. MILROY most of the hearing in his left ear.
He never spoke of his war experiences unless asked, said Rollin MILROY. " Then he was happy to answer. The stories that would spontaneously come out were always humorous, or about Friendship in some manner. While I don't think he ever attempted to convince himself war is anything but awful, he also recognized the many good qualities of people that emerge during such times."
After the war, Mr. MILROY remained in the army, serving at home and abroad in the United States and Britain. In 1953, he attended the Queen's coronation in London. Despite a fall of heavy rain, Mr. MILROY thoroughly enjoyed his job marshalling the Canadian troops marching in the procession. "[There was] a wonderful feeling of camaraderie that enveloped everyone during the period of the coronation. We all thought that we were in on the beginning of a bright new world. While it didn't quite work out that way, for those of us there the experience lightened our days for years to come. It was similar to the feeling one has when one is a member of a good Regiment, like the Strathconas," he wrote in In 1972, he was promoted to lieutenant-general and given command of the Canadian army, then called Mobile Command. After retiring in 1975, he worked in Ottawa as a consultant until 1988.
In 2001, Mr. MILROY was made a member of the Order of Canada, for his "exceptional leadership qualities as a volunteer. As national chair of the Canadian Corps of Commissionaires, he helped raised the status and profile of the corps. He also served on the board of governors of Ottawa's Ashbury College and has made immeasurable contributions to health care in the region and to the Salvation Army's fundraising operations."
Mr. MILROY never forgot his beloved unit and served as colonel of the regiment from 1971 to 1978. He donated the sabre he carried during the coronation to the regiment's commanding officers.
William Alexander MILROY was born on June 25, 1920, in Brownlee, Saskatchewan. He died of pulmonary fibrosis on February 20, 2006, in Ottawa. He was 85. He is survived by his wife, Ann, his son Rollin, his daughters Elizabeth and Alexandra. He also leaves his sisters Marion and Jean.

  M... Names     Mc... Names     McA... Names     McAV... Names     Welcome Home

McAVITY o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2006-07-15 published
McAVITY, John Malcolm
Of Vancouver died peacefully at home, surrounded by his family, at 10: 00 o'clock on the morning of July 12, 2006. Born on July 18, 1917, John grew up in Rothesay, New Brunswick, attended Rothesay Collegiate, and subsequently Royal Military College, Kingston, quickly followed by service in England, Italy and the low countries during the Second War. John is survived by his loving wife of sixty four years, Adine (Dids) McAVITY (née OLAND,) his son Eric Oland (Judith MAXWELL) of Canmore, Alberta, his daughters Frances Denise HAZEN of Vancouver and Catherine Martha DOUGLAS/DOUGLASS (John KAYE) of North Saanich, British Columbia and his granddaughter Martha ELYSE of Canmore, Alberta. He was predeceased by his eldest son J.P. Malcolm (Patricia McAVITY née GIBSON) of North Saanich in 2001, by his parents Frances Edith HAZEN and Thomas Malcolm McAVITY in 1933 and 1944 respectively, and by his two younger brothers, Douglas Malcolm of Greenwich, Connecticut and Peter Malcolm of St Louis, Missouri. Dad started his post war working life with his cousin Hugh MacKAY in Saint John, New Brunswick, in a profession in which he spent his entire working life, and which culminated with RBC Dominion Securities in Vancouver in 1986. As a volunteer in his adopted west coast community, Dad served with great dedication as a director and chair of the board of the Canadian Arthritis and Rheumatism Society and also as a director and chair of the Board of Governors of Shawnigan Lake School. Dad maintained a life long interest in his woodwork shop, his garden, the Cook Gun Club at Vedder Crossing, fishing at Pennask Lake and most importantly, in maintaining his close connection with so many many Friends, all of which gave him immense pleasure. In his later years, Dad suffered with kidney failure and spent the last ten years of his life as a patient at the dialysis unit at Vancouver General Hospital. During this time he was lovingly supported by so many Friends: the "fly boys" who faithfully drove him to and from so many of his dialysis appointments, and to his care givers, Rudy, Maria and Fatima and Dino. A special thanks to Rev. Kevin Dixon and Bishop Jim Cruickshank of Saint Mary's Kerrisdale, to Doctor A.B. (Tony) Wilson and to Dad's palliative care team, Shirley, Lea and Rose-Marie, all of whom so graciously assisted Dad/Grampa on the final leg of his life's journey. A Memorial Service will be held at Saint Mary's Kerrisdale, 2490 West 37th Avenue, Vancouver, on Dad's 89th birthday, Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 2: 00 p.m. In lieu of flowers, and if you are so moved, donations can be made to the Canadian Arthritis and Rheumatism Society (British Columbia and Yukon Division), 393 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1E6: or to the Vancouver General Hospital and University of British Columbia Hospital Foundation (Renal Program), 855 West 12th Avenue, Vancouver, British Columbia, V5Z 1M9, (604-875-5240), in remembrance of John Malcolm McAVITY.

  M... Names     Mc... Names     McA... Names     McAV... Names     Welcome Home

MCAVITY - All Categories in OGSPI