All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"WEL" 2003 Obituary


WELCH o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-07-04 published
WELCH, Dr. Robert Hamilton
Died peacefully, at home in Toronto, on Tuesday, July 1, 2003, in his 90th year. Beloved husband of Jane (Penny) Simpson (née COYNE.) Devoted father of Thomas Gordon (Anne LAMBERT,) James Coyne (Hélène QUESNEL), Sarah Jane (Edward GELLER) and Margo Hamilton. Adored grandfather of Emily, Jackson, Brennen, Julia and Philippe. Predeceased by his brothers Albert Gordon and Thomas Alan.
Bob WELCH was born in Toronto, educated at University of Toronto Schools and U of T, and served his country as Surgeon-Lieutenant Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve in World War 2. He was in family practice and associated with St. Michael's Hospital for nearly 50 years. He was a great diagnostician who practiced the art of medicine with compassion for both patients and their families. A famous raconteur with a gentle sense of humour, he was also an avid reader who was engaged with life until the end. While he lived and worked in Toronto, he cherished his summers in Prince Edward Island from the 1950's on. Greatly loved and deeply missed.
The family will receive Friends at the Humphrey Funeral Home - A. W. Miles Chapel, 1403 Bayview Avenue (south of Eglinton Avenue East), from 7-9 p.m. on Thursday, July 3rd. Private service in Toronto and interment at Fortune, Prince Edward Island In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to St. Michael's Hospital, 30 Bond Street, Toronto M5B 1W8 or Bay Fortune United Church Cemetery Fund, c/o John Aitken, Souris, Prince Edward Island C1A 1B0.

  W... Names     WE... Names     WEL... Names     Welcome Home

WELCH - All Categories in OGSPI

WELD o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-06-03 published
WELD, Thomas John
Died peacefully at his Toronto home on Saturday, May 31, 2003 in his 49th year, surrounded by his family. Tom handled his illness, a 12½ year battle with brain cancer, with dignity and courage. Tom is survived by his beloved wife of 25 years, Gillian (a true Florence Nightingale), and was a proud father to daughter Ashley, and son Christopher. Also survived by his mother, Harriet ''Sis'' Bunting WELD and father John Douglas WELD (Patricia,) sisters Wendy JARVIS (David) and Leeanne KOSTOPOULOS (Chris;) nephews Strachan and Pearce JARVIS, Andreus KOSTOPOULOS, niece Olivia KOSTOPOULOS, and mother-in-law Margaret EASTON. Tom was educated at Trinity College School, Port Hope, and Ryerson Polytechnical Institute. He then embarked on a career in the Graphic Arts Industry where he spent 25 years with The Bryant Press Limited in Toronto. Tom was an enthusiastic sportsman who was a long-time member of The Toronto Golf Club, The Badminton and Racquet Club, and The Osler Bluff Ski Club. The family would like to extend special thanks to Annette Drinkwater for her months of care as well as Dr. John RIEGER and Mamdough REZK (R.N..) A funeral service will be held at Saint John's Anglican Church (York Mills), 19 Don Ridge Drive, Toronto, on Wednesday, June 4, 2003 at 11 a.m. with a reception to follow. Private family interment at Mount Pleasant Cemetery. The family would appreciate memorial donations to St. Michael's Hospital Foundation, 30 Bond Street, Toronto, Ontario M5B 1W8 or a charity of your choice.

  W... Names     WE... Names     WEL... Names     Welcome Home

WELD - All Categories in OGSPI

WELLS o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-12-16 published
Horse-race announcer 'giant in his profession'
Canadian Press, Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - Page R5
Niagara Falls, Ontario -- Legendary horse-race announcer Daryl WELLS died Friday night of heart disease. He was 81.
Mr. WELLS entertained thoroughbred horse racing fans at Woodbine race track in Toronto for more than 30 years. From 1956 -- the year Woodbine opened -- until 1986, he described racing for fans on the Ontario Jockey Club circuit, which included Fort Erie and Greenwood.
"He was a giant in his profession," said Louis CAUZ, managing director of the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame. "His calls, whether they be for a claiming race or the Queen's Plate, were both dramatic and detailed. Every horse got at least one call. You always knew where your horse was during a race."
His son Daryl Jr., who followed in his dad's footsteps and now calls races at Fort Erie, Ontario, said: "Dad was particularly happy of the way he called Secretariat's final career race at Woodbine."
Born in Victoria in 1922, Mr. WELLS entered the broadcast business as a disc jockey at age 15 but later switched to sports. He leaves his wife Marian and children, Daryl Jr., Dana and Wendy.
A memorial visitation will be held today at Morse and Sons Chapel on Main Street in Niagara Falls, Ontario

  W... Names     WE... Names     WEL... Names     Welcome Home

WELLS o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-12-19 published
The voice of Ontario horse racing
For three decades, the announcer added detail and drama to his calls at Woodbine, Fort Erie and Greenwood tracks
By Allison LAWLOR, Special to The Globe and Mail Friday, December 19, 2003 - Page R13
When the great Secretariat burst out of the starting gate at Toronto's Woodbine Race Track on that dark and miserable day in late October, 1973, in what would be his final race, Daryl WELLS was behind the microphone calling the race for fans.
"In a blaze of glory, ladies and gentlemen, he's all yours," Mr. WELLS cried as the Triple Crown-winner won the Canadian International by 12 lengths.
Daryl WELLS Jr. was there that day in the announcer's booth to hear what would be his father's most famous call and share his excitement of seeing the last career race of the horse, considered by many to be the greatest thoroughbred of all time.
"I thought it was the greatest thing that ever happened," said Daryl WELLS Jr., who carried on the tradition and now calls races at Ontario's Fort Erie track.
Mr. WELLS, the voice of Ontario thoroughbred racing for more 30 years, from just after the new Woodbine Race Track opened in the spring of 1956 to the summer of 1986, died last Friday of heart disease in Niagara Falls, Ontario He was 81.
For three decades, Mr. WELLS was at the Ontario Jockey Club microphone, describing the thoroughbred races at Woodbine, Fort Erie and Greenwood, entertaining fans with his calls that were both accurate and exciting. When the gates opened, fans could often be heard imitating his familiar, trademark call: "They're off."
Whether it was a small, weekday afternoon race or the prestigious Queen's Plate, Mr. WELLS made every call dramatic and detailed. "Every horse got his call," said his long-time friend Gary ALLES.
Behind the microphone, Mr. WELLS was a pro who also had a mischievous streak that could sometimes be seen in the announcer's booth. Mr. ALLES remembers one day sitting next to his friend while he was calling a race at Woodbine. A second after telling fans where their horses were in the race, he switched off his microphone and asked Mr. ALLES which horse he had betted on that day. Back to the microphone, he gave fans a quick update before turning off the microphone again. This time with the microphone off, he started giving Mr. ALLES the call he really wanted to hear that his horse looked poised to win. But before Mr. ALLES could get too excited the microphone was back on again and Mr. WELLS was giving fans the true account of the race.
"He had a mischievousness that emanated from his eyes," Mr. ALLES said.
Daryl Frederick WELLS was born on December 10, 1922, in Victoria. As a young boy, he would tag along when his parents went to the races. "That's what got him interested," said his wife, Marian WELLS.
By the age of 15, he had entered the broadcasting world as a disc jockey, after a local radio station allowed him to play a few records. "It [his career] took off from there," Daryl WELLS Jr. said.
Several years later, he headed east and got a job in the sports department of radio station CHML in Hamilton, where he worked in the 1940s and 1950s and later as a sports director for CHCH-TV. During the Second World War, he served for a time in Britain with the Canadian Army.
Ed BRADLEY, a former general manager of Greenwood, Mohawk and Garden City Raceways, can remember his first introduction to Mr. WELLS in 1955. Working then as an announcer at Long Branch track in Toronto's west end, Mr. BRADLEY recalls one day seeing a man standing around outside his announcer's booth watching while he worked.
The next day he saw the same man again. Mr. BRADLEY was curious about this mysterious man but thought nothing of him again until the following spring when the track opened in Fort Erie. He was in the announcing booth when his manager came to him to tell him he had a new guy for him to break in.
"The guy walked in and it was Daryl WELLS," Mr. BRADLEY said.
They got down to work and, right away, Mr. BRADLEY recognized Mr. WELLS's voice from his broadcasting work. After three days of training, Mr. WELLS was ready to call a race on his own.
"He turned out to be a real pro," Mr. BRADLEY said, adding that Mr. WELLS was very descriptive in his calls and got to know what the jockeys were doing during a race.
During a time when horse racing was among the country's favourite sports, and fans would regularly stream out of work to head to the bar to watch a race, Mr. WELLS was its voice, said Wally WOOD, a former long-time racing columnist. "He was the poster boy for the sport," Mr. Wood said. "He was willing to do anything to promote racing....
"He was very good for racing," Mr. WOOD added.
A true showman, Mr. WELLS not only had the voice, but he looked as though he had just stepped out of an Armani commercial. "Daryl was show business and he dressed like it," Mr. ALLES said.
After 30 years as a well-loved fixture in the announcing booth, Mr. WELLS left Woodbine in July of 1986 amid controversy. His employers suspended him after the Ontario Racing Commission fined him for his part in a 1983 wager that returned a $237,598 payoff. "Touting" (volunteering an opinion on the outcome of a race for profit) was the official description and is strictly against the rules. While it was never a case of Mr. WELLS affecting the outcome of a race, he was suspended and his career as a horse-race announcer was over.
"He missed the excitement of the track," Ms. WELLS said, adding that it was the people he missed most of all. After he left Woodbine, he seldom went to the track except on special occasions.
"He always wanted to be surrounded by people," said Ms. WELLS, who never knew when she would come home to find her husband throwing an impromptu party.
Mr. WELLS, who had been living in Lewiston, New York since the late 1980s, died on December 12 at the Greater Niagara General Hospital in Niagara Falls. He leaves his wife; children Dana, Daryl Jr. and Wendy; sister Velda SCOBIE; and stepchildren Michael, Kelly and Jeffrey.

  W... Names     WE... Names     WEL... Names     Welcome Home

WELLS - All Categories in OGSPI

WELLWOOD o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-02-04 published
Bill WELLWOOD was racing hall of famer
By Beverley SMITH Tuesday, February 4, 2003, Page S12
Bill WELLWOOD, an icon in the North American harness racing world, died yesterday at the Trillium Health Centre in Mississauga, Ontario He was 62. WELLWOOD was a member of the Canadian Horse Racing Hall of Fame and was chosen horseman of the year in Canada in 1974 and 1992. He was known as an astute horseman who had a gift for picking out yearlings and turning them into top racehorses. These included two-time Breeders Crown winner Village Jiffy, Village Connection, Village Jasper, and 1997 Metro Pace winner Rustler Hanover. WELLWOOD is survived by wife Jean and daughter, Paula, also a horse trainer. His funeral will be held tomorrow in Cambridge, Ontario

  W... Names     WE... Names     WEL... Names     Welcome Home

WELLWOOD - All Categories in OGSPI

WELT o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-06-19 published
GRAY/GREY, The Honourable Wesley Gibson, B.A., LL.B., LL.D., Q.C. (Lieutenant (N) Royal Canadian Navy, Justice, Supreme Court of Ontario; Treasurer and C.E.O., The Law Society of Upper Canada original Smoke Lake Lease Holder)
Died peacefully, At Toronto, on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 after a short illness. Gibson, beloved husband of Nancy BURTON for 60 years. Dear father of Patsy (Tim PORTER,) Katy WAUGH (Ralph EIBNER,) and Barbara (Dudleigh COYLE.) Loving Grandpa of Suzanna and Rosalind PORTER; Maggie WELT (Bruno) and Emily WAUGH; Nancy, David and Patrick COYLE. He will be sadly missed by his sister Estelle CUNNINGHAM and her family. Special thanks to the medical team at St. Michael's Hospital who took such good care of him. The family will receive Friends at the Humphrey Funeral Home - A. W. Miles Chapel, 1403 Bayview Avenue (south of Eglinton Avenue East), from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. on Friday, June 20th, Service at Rosedale United Church, 159 Roxborough Drive (M4W 1X7), on Saturday, June 21st at 11 o'clock. Interment at Saint John's Norway Cemetery on Monday, June 23rd at 10 o'clock. In lieu of flowers, donations to St. Michael's Hospital, 30 Bond Street, Toronto M5B 1W8, or Rosedale United Church.

  W... Names     WE... Names     WEL... Names     Welcome Home

WELT - All Categories in OGSPI