All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"PRE" 2003 Obituary


PRENDERGAST o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-09-11 published
PRENDERGAST, Rebecca Marjorie
Died suddenly Monday September 8, 2003 aged 2 years 7 months. Our perfect and much loved daughter will be greatly missed by her parents Cathy RIVARD and Alan PRENDERGAST, her Grandparents Dr. and Mrs. W.F. PRENDERGAST and Larry and Helen RIVARD, and her Nonna and Nonno. She brought joy to everyone who met her. All of her Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and Friends share in our loss. Visitation on Friday September 12th from 2: 00 - 4:00 pm and 7:00 - 9: 00 pm at 42 Millbank Avenue, Toronto. Funeral service Saturday September 13th, 10: 00 am, Timothy Eaton Memorial Church, 230 St. Clair Ave. W., Toronto. In lieu of flowers donations to York Central Hospital Foundation, 10 Trench St. Richmond Hill Ontario. L4C 4Z3 (905) 883-2032

  P... Names     PR... Names     PRE... Names     Welcome Home

PRENDERGAST - All Categories in OGSPI

PRENTICE o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-08-05 published
Michael Iain PRENTICE
By Joel KWINTER, Barry ALPER, Doug ADLAM Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - Page A16
Father, husband, son, friend, television producer. Born October 21, 1964, in Toronto. Died May in Toronto, of natural causes, aged 38.
Michael PRENTICE was a Big Manitoba He was physically big, but also big in so many other ways. He had a big charming personality, a big collection of Friends and he was a big reader. He also had a big appetite for adventure, travel, exotic food, fine wines and unique liquors; he told big stories, had big adventures and hosted big parties. He was really a big loveable guy.
His Friends had several nicknames for Michael, including Big Country, Large and in Charge, the Country Squire, and occasionally and only playfully, the Big Baby.
Behind his big, tough exterior, was a sentimental, loving man. His love for his wife Janet, and daughters Emma and Margot, as well as his love of cooking, gardening, collecting first edition books, and spending time at the cottage, often eclipsed his tough exterior.
Michael played to win and often tested the boundaries. He appeared to have the ability to pick up new activities or new interests effortlessly. Michael simply put his mind to excelling at something, and he did. He lived his life the way he played tennis -- after the first serve, he would always charge the net and go for the "smash."
Michael introduced many of his Friends to golf, eventually establishing a tradition of Wednesday night golf. Week after week, no one could beat Michael -- his Friends affectionately called his winning streak "the reign of terror." Michael diligently kept score at every round he played, sometimes keeping better track of other people's strokes than his own.
Michael hosted an annual boys' weekend, where he'd make a pot of spicy chili and loaves of homemade bread. The veterans of the boys' weekend knew to approach the bread with caution, because it was even spicier than the chili. Every year, a good laugh would be had as we watched the uninitiated try to put the spice-fire out of his mouth, by eating more and more of the spicy bread.
Michael was proud of his upbringing, and was close to his parents Ralph and Mary, and his sister Carolyn. Michael was in his element at the family cottage near Bancroft, Ontario He extended open invitations to all his Friends, and used the cottage to build new relationships and strengthen existing ones. He expended great effort so that everyone would have a good time.
Michael loved to tell stories. They often started with "When I was living in England", or "When I was living in India", or "When I was living in Australia." His life in many ways was a search for great stories, and he relished telling them as much as his Friends loved hearing them.
Though born and raised Presbyterian, he was a practicing contrarian. In the spirit of debate, he was prepared to take different sides on the same issue. He loved the role of devil's advocate, and because he was so smart and such a voracious reader, his arguments were convincing, even when he was arguing against a point he had made previously. This was sport for Michael, and he played it well.
Michael had a traveller's attitude to life. He turned everyday activities into events, and opportunities for new experiences. Often, he would playfully push his companion into an awkward moment or toward a new challenge, thus heightening the experience and further building his portfolio of stories.
Michael has left a big hole in our lives, but he has left us with such rich memories, traditions, and stories, that his spirit will always be with us. To quote the lyrics from one of Michael's favorite songs by Bryan Ferry, "These ties that bind us, they still surround us".
Joel KWINTER, Barry ALPER and Doug ADLAM are Michael's Friends.

  P... Names     PR... Names     PRE... Names     Welcome Home

PRENTICE - All Categories in OGSPI

PREOBRAZENSKI o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-11-20 published
BULL, Stewart Hastings (1916-2003) Teacher, soldier, author, historian, churchman, and loving family man. Born in Windsor, Ontario, died peacefully at home in Toronto on November 17, leaving Doris, his loving wife of 55 years, dear daughters Catherine (Richard GOLD) and Muriel (Kenneth OLSEN) and his adored grandchildren, Laura, Susanna and James. Predeceased by brothers, Henry BULL, Q.C. and the Reverend Edgar BULL, and sister Jane DOBROTA, R.N. A World War 2 veteran who served with the Essex and Kent Scottish Regiment, he was severely wounded in Normandy in 1944. He will be remembered first and foremost as a lively and inspiring teacher of History and English at Walkerville Collegiate, the University of Toronto Schools, and the Faculty of Education, U. of T. He encouraged generations of students, and dedicated boundless energy to school spirit, cadets, debating and dramatics. He was regimental historian, museum curator and Council member with the Queen's York Rangers of Toronto. A committed Anglican, he was active in parish work and community outreach at Saint Thomas's and All Saints' Kingsway Churches. Stewart was a steady leader who shared his love of people, creative spirit, and enthusiasm for life with all he knew. Sincere thanks to Dr. SWARTZ, Dr. PREOBRAZENSKI, Olive, Audrey, Karen, and to Colonel Michael STEVENSON, for their care and support. Visitation at Turner and Porter Funeral Home, Yorke Chapel, 2357 Bloor St. W. on Friday November 21 from 7 - 9 p.m. Funeral service Saturday November 22 at 1: 30 p.m. All Saints' Kingsway Church, 2850 Bloor St. W. at Prince Edward Rd. Memorial donations to the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, Médecins sans Frontières or All Saints' Kingsway Church.

  P... Names     PR... Names     PRE... Names     Welcome Home


PRESCOTT o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-07-22 published
Peacefully, at her home in Waterloo, surrounded by the love of her family, Naomi died early Monday morning, July 21, 2003. She was 20. Naomi struggled with Ewing's Sarcoma since January of 2002. Her indomitable spirit sustained all who knew her. Precious daughter of Susan (COOKE) and Fred MATHER and dearest sister of John. Naomi will be lovingly remembered by her Paternal grandmother, Ivey MATHER of Perth; her special friend Marjorie MALLORY, Aunts and Uncles, Marilyn CURRY of Headingly, Minnesota, Catherine and Richard FREEMAN of Vancouver, Lorna and Jim PEDEN and Sheila PRESCOTT (Dave McGRATH) of Perth; cousins, Tyler, Jennifer and Andrew CURRY, Harry and Gabby FREEMAN, Corinne, Trent and Colin PEDEN and Patricia PRESCOTT. Naomi's life included a wide circle of Friends, especially Cara DURST. Her Scottish Terrier Ghillie and Tabby cat Tamara had a special place in her heart. She was predeceased by Maternal grandparents, Roy and Edith COOKE and her Paternal grandfather, John MATHER. In Naomi's short life, she involved herself in many activities. She was a graduate of Waterloo Collegiate Institute and was enrolled in Science studies at Queen's University when she became ill. Some of her involvements and interests included Strathyre Highland Dancers, Children's International Summer Villages, working as a lifeguard and swimming instructor and playing the piano. Friend's and relatives are invited to share their memories of Naomi with her family at the Edward R. Good Funeral Home, 171 King Street South, Waterloo from 7 to 9 pm this evening (Tuesday) and 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 pm Wednesday. A service to celebrate Naomi's life will be held on Thursday, July 24, 2003, 11 am, at Westminster United Church (The Cedars,) 543 Beechwood Drive, Waterloo, with Reverend John ANDERSON officiating. A committal service will follow in Parkview Cemetery Crematorium Chapel, Waterloo. Following the committal at the Cemetery, Friends and relatives are invited to return to Westminster United Church for refreshments and a time to visit with the family.In Naomi's memory, in lieu of flowers, donations to the Sarcoma Fund at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto or the Grand River Regional Cancer Centre would be appreciated as expressions of sympathy and can be arranged through the funeral home, phone (519) 745-8445 or

  P... Names     PR... Names     PRE... Names     Welcome Home

PRESCOTT - All Categories in OGSPI

PRESLEY o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-12-11 published
GELBER, Sylva Malka, OC, LL.D.
93 years old, Sylva Malka GELBER, whose years of activism in pre-Israel Palestine eventually propelled her to be the first director of the Canadian Department of Labour's Women's Bureau, died on December 9th, 2003, of complications from a stroke. She was 93 and lived in Ottawa.
During the heady years of pioneering in gains for women's rights and Medicare in Canada during the 1960s and 70s, she travelled the country, never shrill and always reasoned in her campaign for equality for women in the country's labour force. She took this pragmatic approach to the United Nations where she represented Canada on the United Nations Commission for the Status of Women between 1970 - 74.
A social and industrial activist at heart, she never lost her zest for a good argument on those issues which had been part of her adult life since she left her comfortable Toronto home in the early 1930s for the turmoil of Jerusalem and Palestine. There she became the first graduate of the Va'ad Leumi School of Social Work - now the Faculty of Social Work of the Hebrew University - and took on jobs incongruous with her upbringing which had included schooling at Havergal College, a private girl's school.
She worked in Palestine during the Mandate as a family counsellor, a probation officer and medical social worker at Hadassah Hospital, and then with the Palestine Department of Labour from 1942 - 48 when she returned to Canada. The adventuresome 15 years Sylva GELBER lived in the turmoil of Palestine are chronicled with affection, awe and frankness in ''No Balm in Gilead: A Personal Retrospective of Mandate Days in Palestine'' published in 1989. By the time she moved back to Canada, she could switch effortlessly among Hebrew and Arabic and English which impressed no one in bureaucratic Ottawa, but did startle the Capital's stuffy side, she often noted mischievously.
Her deep red lipstick and nail polish when paired with her fast sports cars belied the image of the traditional Ottawa civil servant she could never be, despite distinguished and proud accomplishments in promoting federal health insurance and Medicare until they became the law of the land.
Along the way, she accepted many appointments to serve Canada at International Labour Organization conferences, the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development and the United Nations General Assembly. She was a member of the Order of Canada and was awarded honorary degrees from several universities including Queen's, Memorial, Trent, Guelph and Mount St. Vincent.
Sylva Malka GELBER was born in 1910 in Toronto to Sara (MORRIS) and Louis GELBER. Her father, a survivor of pogroms in Eastern Europe, was determined that her four brothers, all of whom attended Upper Canada College, and she, all receive worldly educations beyond their specific Jewish community. She always admired her father for this farsightedness in encouraging his children to become part of a broader society.
At the University of Toronto, she produced plays. She sang spirituals on a Toronto radio station, but her parents would have none of a show business career. She was packed off to Columbia University in New York; but even that did not satisfy her rambunctious spirit and soon she was on her way to distant Palestine.
Never domesticated as women of her day usually were, she paid little attention to her kitchen pantry when she finally settled in Ottawa; but always gregarious, she loved to entertain around the piano which she played by ear and with great gusto. Her library of records and Compact Disks, was always in use as music filled her life; and she has endowed an important annual prize through The Sylva Gelber Music Foundation, which is granted to an outstanding young Canadian musician at the early stage of his or her career.
In retirement, she energetically participated in the Canadian Institute of International Affairs and the Wednesday Luncheon Club of former cabinet ministers and civil servants, such as her neighbour, Jack PICKERSGILL, who thrashed over current political issues.
Sylva GELBER was predeceased by her four brothers, Lionel, Marvin, Arthur and Shalome Michael. She is survived by her four nieces and their husbands, Nance GELBER and Dan BJARNASON, Patty and David RUBIN, Judith GELBER and Dan PRESLEY, and Sara and Richard CHARNEY, all of Toronto; her sister-in-law, Marianne GELBER of New York; four great nephews and a great niece, Gerald and Noah RUBIN, and Adam, Andrew and Laura CHARNEY; as well as cousins Ruth JEWEL and David EISEN; David ALEXANDOR, and Ruth GELBER all of Toronto; and Ivan CHORNEY and Betsy RIGAL, both of Ottawa. At Benjamin's Park Memorial Chapel, 2401 Steeles Avenue West (1 light west of Dufferin) for service on Thursday, December 11, 2003 at 12: 00 noon. Interment Beth Tzedec Memorial Park.

  P... Names     PR... Names     PRE... Names     Welcome Home

PRESLEY - All Categories in OGSPI

PRETTIE o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-07-23 published
Susan Elizabeth CRERAR
By Lauren LINTON and Kelly KIRKLAND, Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - Page A18
Daughter, sister, wife, mother, aunt, grandmother. Born March 30, 1939, in Port Arthur, Ontario Died March 11, 2003, in Delray Beach, Florida, of ovarian cancer, aged 63.
The youngest of two girls, Sue was born to Robert and Laura PRETTIE, a high-profile couple who had moved to Port Arthur, Ontario, to start Northern Wood Preservers Ltd. Sue's strong will and innate sense of fairness were rewarded with her many Friends. Sue would cause trouble if she thought the system was not fair for all. She carried this attitude to boarding school in Toronto where she let it be known that she disagreed with the many rules imposed by the strict girls' school.
After graduating from Havergal College, Sue headed to Vancouver to attend the University of British Columbia. On her second day on campus, Sue met Bill CRERAR at a "registration mixer." Bill said he was quick to "latch onto her and take her off the dating circuit." There they began the love affair that would last more than 44 years.
The children came soon after with Kelly, Lauren, and Steve all born within four years. Sue's philosophy was that if you were home with one child you might as well be home with a few (this seemed reasonable until we had our own kids). The family moved to Berkeley, Calif., where Bill completed his M.B.A. and Sue stayed home with the three young children and became involved in various local charities. After graduation, the family moved to White Plains, New York A fourth child, Andrew, was born in One of Sue's many gifts was her ability to create a home in any environment. We have memories of living in dust and plastic during the many home-renovation projects and eating unidentifiable meals prepared in the microwave aboard a travelling motor home. Mom made it all seem like a great adventure.
Another move brought the family to Toronto in 1967 where Sue could be closer to her sister, Audrey. She volunteered with various non-profit organizations and also served on a number of boards, including the Shaw Festival. In 1975, Sue persuaded a good friend, Diane, that they should open an art gallery, and Hollander York Gallery was founded. She showed us the importance of balancing work and family.
Sue had a great appreciation for the written word. She relished her moments of solitude with a book or newspaper and also had a great talent for expressing herself on paper. When fax machines were invented, Sue saw this new technology as an opportunity soon all family members (including grandparents) were given fax machines and the Family Fax Network was born. And when Sue taught herself how to operate a Macintosh computer, all her faxes arrived neatly typed. When e-mail was the new rage, Sue took it up with passion and couldn't understand why everyone (including her husband!) did not have an e-mail address.
It was as a mother that Sue had the most profound impact. Communication with her two daughters and two sons was daily by phone, fax or e-mail. She was always happy to hear from us and was so wise about so many things, from relationship woes to disciplinary issues with children.
One can never forget Sue's loud, infectious laugh. She laughed at herself when she would tell the story of how her printer broke down and she purchased a new printer only to discover that she had forgotten to plug in the original computer. Human foibles, especially her own, delighted her and she was so quick to see the humour in any situation.
In July, 2001, Sue was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. Sue never hesitated to say to curious Friends "I am more than just a cancer patient." She knew the end was near at Christmas 2002 and kept this awareness private between herself and her best friend, Bill.
Lauren and Kelly are Sue's daughters.

  P... Names     PR... Names     PRE... Names     Welcome Home

PRETTIE - All Categories in OGSPI

PREUSS o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-04-23 published
By Karl PREUSS Wednesday, April 23, 2003 - Page A16
Ballet accompanist, mother. Born May 19, 1918, in Hamilton, Ontario Died January 26 in Victoria, British Columbia, following a stroke, aged 84.
Our mother, Evelyn NICHOLS, died during the wet, early dawn hours of a winter morning. Her death was the outcome of complications from a stroke suffered in October, 1998, which had left her with impaired faculties. Arthritis had already confined her to a wheelchair.
A frustrating and ironic aspect of this story is that Evelyn had been so proud of her health. She once remarked to her physician daughter-in-law that she had not seen a doctor in 17 years. Her reasoning: she hadn't been ill -- why see a doctor? Had Evelyn seen a doctor, she likely would have learned that she had high blood pressure, an asymptomatic high-risk factor for a stroke.
As with her final years, Evelyn's early life was difficult. After she was born in Hamilton, Evelyn was adopted by parents whose child-rearing practices were harsh. Grandma inflicted the Biblical maxim that to spare the rod is to spoil the child. As well, fear of rejection and abandonment dogged our mother, right up to her final years.
Although remaining faithful to the ethical teachings of Jesus, Evelyn abandoned organized religion soon after leaving home. She also became an incorrigible romantic and found refuge in stormy novels such as Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, W. Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage and in later years in such reflective literature as Dag Hammarskjold's Markings. But self-pity was not a part of her emotional repertoire; Evelyn often scoffed that she could limp better than most people could walk.
Early on Evelyn discovered music. It would be her salvation and a treasure she would impart to others. Years later she wrote: "My religion is music." After taking private lessons when her parents had moved from Ontario to Michigan, Evelyn enrolled at the Wilde Conservatory of Music in Lansing, where she also taught she later took music courses at Michigan State University. During and after her three troubled marriages, Evelyn immersed herself in teaching and participated in community musical life.
Evelyn used the music of Brahms, Chopin and Mozart to introduce her pupils to the wider world of culture and ideas. Her last gesture in Ottawa, where she taught for several years before moving to California in 1959, was to take her music class to a concert by pianist Rudolph Serkin.
During her 11 years in the San Francisco Bay Area, Evelyn taught piano, accompanied for the San Jose Ballet School, and performed with the San Jose Light Opera. Evelyn eventually tired of the heat and smog of the Bay Area. In 1971 she pursued a dream and moved to Burns Lake in northern British Columbia, sight-unseen, where she taught voice and piano. Evelyn was single and 53.
Something of an elitist, Evelyn could be critical of those whom she believed had surrendered to mindless convention. Yet Evelyn could also empathize and she granted her pupils a forbearance that she had never received as a child. Always attracted to the exotic and unconventional, Evelyn offered her pupils a perspective often beyond what they received at home. Evelyn's hearth became a sanctuary for those who felt rejected or at odds with constrictive and hypocritical social mores.
One former pupil came to regard Evelyn as her other mother. And another wrote, in honour of Evelyn's 80th birthday, "I don't think I've ever told you how much you've meant to me. Your presence in my life has made me a better person, stronger and happier. Your gifts to your students went far beyond music."
Sadly, these words now become our mother's epitaph.
Karl is one of Evelyn's three sons.

  P... Names     PR... Names     PRE... Names     Welcome Home

PREUSS - All Categories in OGSPI