All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"PLA" 2003 Obituary


PLANCKE o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-03-21 published
Norman Wesley CARD
By Julie PLANCKE Friday, March 21, 2003 - Page A24
Father, farmer. Born May 18, 1913, in Walsh, Ontario Died October 25, 2002, in Simcoe, Ontario, of natural causes, aged 89.
Norman Wesley CARD was born on the farm that was in his family for generations. My mom recalls her Sunday afternoon drives with her father, when it was just her and him riding in his truck, talking and taking note of how other farmers' crops were coming along. When she was young, she would often join Granny and Grandpa at the Walsh Hall for dances. Grandpa especially enjoyed square dancing as a younger man.
In his youth, my Uncle Don spent time with Grandpa in the tobacco fields. Some of Uncle Don's fondest memories of his time spent with his father were later in life: the days they shared splitting wood on the farm. It was the sharing of physical activity and the talks that followed that meant the most to Uncle Don.
I would ride with my grandfather on the tractors, be picked up by him from the tobacco kiln and sent down the conveyor to my Grandma at the bottom, or sit beside him in his truck when he'd take me to the Britt Club to play shuffleboard. This was in the day when women weren't allowed, but Grandpa knew that rule didn't apply to my sister Laurie and me. And, Grandpa taught us about arrowheads, which we found frequently in the fields, and pointed out beaver dams and wildflowers on the property. Farmers, like my grandfather, respect the land and live a clean and healthy life on it. It was hard work, but it was work he could be proud of, and we were proud of him.
We can't imagine Norman CARD's life without my grandmother, Hazel. That became crystal clear when she suffered a stroke that would forever change both their lives. They had to leave behind the farm and married life as they'd always known it. After my grandmother went into the hospital, separated for the first significant period of time from Grandpa since they'd wed, they didn't endure more than a few days without seeing each other. Before his own poor health precluded it, he was at Norfolk General Hospital every day, opening Granny's juice, playing cards with her and other hospital "inmates" (as my Granny calls them), visiting with Friends and family, or simply watching Wheel of Fortune while we chatted around him.
There have been many Friends made through Grandpa's community life. He was the longest-standing member of Walsh's Donnybrook Fair Board, a member of the Shrine Club and of the Britt Club. The association he most valued, and the one that took him from home most frequently, was the Masonic Lodge. I often asked Grandpa about secret handshakes and whoopee cushions, but he wouldn't betray his lodge secrets. That part of his life was important to him.
Our family has suffered significant challenges and losses and the most tragic and difficult was the accident that took Laurie from us in 1995. Grandpa silently supported my mom and she leaned on his strength and faith, just as she had when she and my father ended their marriage. Grandpa didn't say much, but he remained strong for her, even though he was dealing with his own pain. Losing Laurie really shook my grandfather's faith. For my grandparents, their church was always a major part of their lives and continued to be.
Norman CARD's life shines brightly in all of our hearts, our memories and in the faces and mannerisms of every member of his family. His body gave up, but I believe his spirit remains. There are many times throughout the rest of our lives that Grandpa's presence will be felt and his many contributions to our lives will be remembered and appreciated. He may have been the strong, silent type, but the life he lived shouted love.
Julie is Norman's granddaughter.

  P... Names     PL... Names     PLA... Names     Welcome Home

PLANCKE - All Categories in OGSPI

PLATIEL o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-01-08 published
Photographer, reporter and royal press attaché
After years at The Globe and Mail, he went on to craft speeches for William DAVIS and to co-ordinate royal tours
By Allison LAWLOR Wednesday, January 8, 2003, Page R5
John GILLIES, a former reporter at The Globe and Mail, who later served as press attaché for the royal tours in the 1970s, died recently at his home in Mississauga, Ontario He was 74.
Known as "a two-way man," Mr. GILLIES was both a reporter and photographer at The Globe throughout the 1960s. He travelled extensively around Ontario, covering everything from fires and train derailments to inquests and trials.
Reporting was in his blood, said Rudy PLATIEL, a fellow two-way man who worked with Mr. GILLIES at The Globe.
He loved digging up stories and talking to people, Mr. PLATIEL recalled.
"For John, the worst time was when nothing was panning out, and he didn't get a story.
"We were sort of the generalists in the sense that we were ready to take on any story," Mr. PLATIEL added. "I think he enjoyed not knowing what was coming up next."
After more than a decade at The Globe and Mail, Mr. GILLIES left the paper for a job with the Ontario government.
Working as a communications officer in the Ministry of Education, his job, among others, was to field media calls and write speeches.
He frequently wrote them for William DAVIS -- who would later become the Premier of Ontario -- when Mr. DAVIS was the education minister. Mr. GILLIES spent 20 years working for the government before retiring in the late 1980s.
Of all the press officers at Queen's Park at the time, Mr. GILLIES was the most up-front, said Rod GOODMAN, a former ombudsman of The Toronto Star.
"If he knew something, he would tell you," Mr. GOODMAN said. "He was very straight and very honest."
During the 1970s, on leaves from the Ministry of Education, Mr. GILLIES served as press co-ordinator for the royal tours to Canada.
He would ride on the press bus, following the Royal Family on their visits to various parts of the country, arranging interviews and ensuring that things ran smoothly for the press.
"Several times, he got to meet the Queen," said his daughter, Laurie SWINTON. "He always said Prince Philip was a real card."
Her father was not known for his impeccable style: Ms. SWINTON recalls a photo taken of him standing with the Queen, wearing a rumpled $29 suit from a local department store. It was not uncommon for Mr. GILLIES to be seen with a crooked tie and untucked shirt. "He was probably one of the only guys at Queen's Park that dressed worse than me," said author and broadcaster Claire HOY.
John GILLIES was born in Toronto on March 4, 1928, the only son of George and Sarah GILLIES. The family lived in a tiny row house in the city's west end. His father worked in the rail yards, and his mother in a chocolate factory, often bringing home boxes of candy for her only son.
Not fond of school, Mr. GILLIES dropped out in Grade 10.
Later, in search of work, he walked into the office of the weekly newspaper in Port Credit (now a part of Mississauga), telling them he needed a job and would do anything. It just so happened that they required a sports editor and hired him.
"He just sort of fell into writing," Ms. SWINTON said.
In 1954, when Hurricane Hazel ripped through Toronto, killing 81 people, Mr. GILLIES's instinct was not to seek shelter in the basement of his home, but to hit the streets to talk to people and gather stories.
When Mr. GILLIES reached an area of the city where a number of new townhouses had been wiped out, a police roadblock met him, recalled his son, Ken GILLIES. A friend who was with him at the time pulled a badge from his coat pocket and flashed it at the officer. After police let the pair through, Mr. GILLIES turned to his friend and asked where he got the badge. "From my kid's Cheerios box this morning," his friend replied.
An avid golfer, it was on the greens in Port Credit that Mr. GILLIES met Frances SMITH, a woman who shared his passion for golf.
The couple married in 1954, and later had three children. Ms. GILLIES died of cancer in 1984.
A helpless optimist when it came to golf, Mr. GILLIES was known to go out under the most dire conditions. He would look at a dark, looming sky and declare that it was clearing, Ken GILLIES recalled. By contrast, said Mr. HOY, the task of getting Mr. GILLIES on the greens when he hadn't scheduled a golf game was next to impossible.
"I don't know anyone else who was that structured," Mr. HOY added, noting that his golfing buddy stuck to his weekly schedule, where each day was dedicated to a particular task. For example, shopping was done not on Thursday but on Saturday. "He had this one little idiosyncrasy," Mr. HOY joked.
A good-hearted man who was also a big lover of dogs, Mr. GILLIES was known to carry a stash of dog biscuits on his daily walks to give to the neighbourhood pooches. "He was a very simple guy," said his son Ken. "He didn't like a lot of ceremony and fanfare."
Mr. GILLIES leaves his three children, Don, Ken and Laurie, and two grandchildren, Corey and Grace.
John GILLIES, reporter / photographer, communications officer born in Toronto on March 4, 1928; died in Mississauga, Ontario on December 4, 2002.

  P... Names     PL... Names     PLA... Names     Welcome Home

PLATIEL - All Categories in OGSPI

PLAUNT o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-05-12 published
Died peacefully at York Extendicare, Sudbury, on May 9, 2003 in her 90th year, with her children at her side. Cherished daughter of the late Mildred and W.B. PLAUNT. Predeceased by her loving husband, Dr. R. MacKay THOMPSON/THOMSON/TOMPSON/TOMSON in 1981. Dearly remembered by her children: Andy (Mandy TAILOR/TAYLOR) of Toronto, Kathie THOMAS (Richard,) Judy MAKI (Tom) and Robin (Mary Lou McKINLEY) of Sudbury. Adored Nana to Allen DAY (Erin CAMERON), Andy DAY (Carla GIUSTO), Kathy, Jodi, Alex, Nikki, Fraser, Michael, Jamie, Scott and great-grandmother to Alexander. Beloved sister of Marian MAHAFFY (Guy, predeceased,) Bill PLAUNT, predeceased (Agnes,) Helen VOLLANS (Maurice, predeceased,) Donald PLAUNT, predeceased, Royal Canadian Air Force, World War 2 and Jean BENNESS, predeceased (Barry, predeceased.) Loving sister-in-law to George WRIGHT of Hanover, Ruth LAWS of Almonte, Murray THOMPSON/THOMSON/TOMPSON/TOMSON of Ottawa and Muriel VALENTIN of Stuttgart, Germany. Auntie Kae will be fondly remembered by many nieces and nephews and their families in the PLAUNT and THOMPSON/THOMSON/TOMPSON/TOMSON clans.
Born in Renfrew on April 29, 1914, she moved to Sudbury in 1924 where her father established his lumber business. She attended Central Public and Sudbury High School, Branksome Hall and graduated from the School of Nursing, University of Toronto, in 1937. After working in Toronto in public health, she returned to Sudbury the following year where she met and married Mac.
Kae loved to golf and curl, and took an avid interest in her family's history. She was very talented in the traditional arts, enjoying knitting, quilting and cooking. As an active community volunteer, she belonged to the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire where she was Regent and to the Salvation Army as an organizer for the annual fund raising drive and board member. She loved to travel with her husband and Friends, but her favourite place in the world was Lake Pogamasing where her parents established a family camp in 1941 and where she spent every summer with her family. She loved to entertain her Friends and her children's Friends, especially at Pog. We were blessed to have a mother and grandmother who stressed the importance of family, community and responsibility. She loved to bring people together and do things for them, to share her interests and her talents, she was kind and considerate to all she met, and along with Dad taught us how to dance and have fun.
Special thanks from the family to Dr. Reg KUSNIERCZYK and his staff, the Walford staff and Dr. ROCH and staff on the fifth floor of York Extendicare for their devoted and caring attention to Mother.
In lieu of flowers, the family would appreciate donations to Young Men's Christian Association Sudbury.
Memorial service in the R.J. Barnard Chapel, Jackson and Barnard Funeral Home, 233 Larch Street, Sudbury, Tuesday, May 13th, 2003 at 11: 30 a.m. Cremation followed by interment at Lake Pogamasing. Friends may call 6-9 p.m. Monday, or gather in the chapel after 11 a.m. Tuesday.

  P... Names     PL... Names     PLA... Names     Welcome Home

PLAUNT - All Categories in OGSPI