All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"KYL" 2003 Obituary


KYLE o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-09-04 published
Wilma Ruth KYLE
By Patricia HUNTER Thursday, September 4, 2003 - Page A28
Wife, mother, grandmother, volunteer, world traveller. Born November 12, 1915, in Toronto. Died March 28 in Niagara Falls, Ontario, of congestive heart failure, aged 87.
Wilma sounds like such a plain name and my mother was anything but: she was a beautiful woman who was intelligent, kind, loving, and fun-loving. She often said that she was supposed to be a boy and be named after her Uncle Bill, Wilfred Reese BINCH. However, my dad, her family and her Friends called her "Willie."
Willie and her parents, Ernie and Ella YOUNG, and her brother, Jerry, lived in the west end of Toronto. Mom attended Keele Street Public School and she made some lifelong Friends there. She and her Friends at Humberside Collegiate started a bridge club, calling themselves The Lucky Thirteen. They had great fun together and one summer they rented a cottage at Grand Bend, Ontario.
One evening six medical students crashed a dance at University College at the University of Toronto. Cam KYLE asked Willie YOUNG to dance and then he asked if he could drive her home and she said yes. When he took her home, she told him that she should write down her phone number for him because there were a lot of Youngs in the phone book. Cam didn't call for about two weeks and Willie was starting to wonder if he was ever going to phone her. When he finally did call and asked if he could come and see her, he brought along his best friend for moral support. This was the beginning of a four-year courtship and 62 years of marriage.
After completing her B.A., Mom worked for six weeks at Eaton's in the accounting department. She made $13 a week and before she left to get married, she was offered a promotion and a raise to $18 a week.
Dad completed his junior internship at St. Michael's Hospital and joined the newly formed medical corps in the Royal Canadian Air Force. This was July, 1940. Dad couldn't get leave to come to Toronto to get married, so my parents were married in Winnipeg on Valentine's Day, 1941.
After being raised a city girl in Toronto, Mom's life changed dramatically, living in the wild west called Manitoba. She learned how to cook on a wood stove and shoot prairie chickens with a shotgun. Mom would drive the car and dad would stand on the running board and shoot. When they reversed roles, my mother broke her collarbone as the gun discharged.
The next several years tested my mother's inner strength. Dad was posted overseas for three years when my brother, Bill, was an infant. This meant that Mom was a single mother like many women during the war. As well, her father died of heart disease at the early age of 52. After the war, Dad completed his surgical training and my brothers, Bob and Peter, and I arrived on the scene.
Jumping ahead to life in Niagara Falls, Mom worked hard on the home front while dad established his medical practice. Mom enjoyed gardening and grew beautiful flowers, especially roses and African violets. Other activities included reading, curling, theatre, and volunteer work. But mostly, she looked after dad and us and this was a full-time job, especially when we were young. I didn't realize until I was much older that everyone's mother didn't stay up late at night sewing ballet and skating costumes after putting in a full day.
Travel was a big part of my parents' life together. Not only did it enrich their lives, teaching them about other cultures around the world, but my mother often had some funny stories to tell. She certainly was able to laugh at herself.
At her funeral, granddaughter Shannon described Willie as being loving, adventurous, intelligent, and a bit of a worrywart. After years of training from my mother, we all say to our own children, "Call when you get there."
Patricia is Wilma's daughter.

  K... Names     KY... Names     KYL... Names     Welcome Home

KYLE o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-11-19 published
JOHNSON, E.D. Julianna "Julie" (née TOOLE) (March 27, 1912 - November 13, 2003)
Julianna (TOOLE) JOHNSON died comfortably and peacefully at Lake of the Woods District Hospital on November 13th, 2003, age 91½, having lived a full and happy life.
Born March 27, 1912 to George and Eleanor TOOLE, she was a lifetime citizen of Kenora except for her upper schooling years in Toronto (Havergal College graduate with the Herbert Mason Gold Medal for high character, 1931; University of Toronto B.A. 1934) and Vancouver (Vancouver General Hospital, R.N. 1938). She married Larry P. JOHNSON (Johnson's Pharmacy 2nd Street,) on June 28th, 1939. They produced 8 children and had a busy, happy 58 years together.
Julianna was predeceased by her parents, her husband L.P. JOHNSON, brother Laurence (Donalda) TOOLE, brother Michael TOOLE, sons Paul JOHNSON in 1952 and Terry JOHNSON in 1996, great-grand_son John WAGENAAR in 2001. She is lovingly remembered and survived by son Larry (Lyn) JOHNSON, Calgary, daughter-in- law Sue JOHNSON, Kenora, daughter Eleanor (Bill) KYLE, Kenora, daughter Mary Pat (Rob) DICKSON/DIXON, Winnipeg, son Bill (Janet) JOHNSON, Winnipeg, daughter Elizabeth/Honey (Tony) JONES, Mississauga, son Kevin (Deborah) JOHNSON, Calgary; grandchildren from Australia to England to the U.S. and all across Canada -- Peter, Tim, Paul and Stephana, Joe and Jaye, Beth, Mark Johnson, Nancy and Kevin WAGENAAR, Rob and Melissa JOHNSON, Larry and Susan KYLE, Shannon and Phil EDGELL, Dave and Dominique, Brad KYLE, Chris, Susie and Billy DICKSON/DIXON, Diane and Eric JOHNSON, Trevor and Evan JONES, Charlie, George, Andy and Julie JOHNSON; great-granddaughters Hailey JOHNSON, Beth WAGENAAR, Ericka EDGELL, Olivia JOHNSON; brother Ned (Anne) TOOLE, Edmonton; sisters-in-law Evelyn INGO and Marjorie Merceline PIGOTT, Vancouver; many kissing cousins, nieces, nephews and Friends.
Julianna's main focus in life was her large family to whom she devoted vast amounts of time and energy. She was a patient, wonderful, caring mother and grandmother, a whiz at accomplishing many tasks in a calm and unflappable manner, an excellent cookie and pie maker, and a gracious hostess. Over the years her fingers were rarely idle as she created items for the Hospital Gift Shop or knitted goods, especially sweaters, for her own family. She was active in the community being a lifetime member of St. Alban's Cathedral and St. Alban's Altar Guild. Of her many volunteer activities she really enjoyed helping children from Kin Valley School at their swimming classes in the (now) Lakeside Inn and delivering Meals on Wheels with daughter Eleanor. She was a member of the Ladies Hospital Auxiliary for many years taking a turn as President. She enjoyed Friendships with many people including her square dancing group and her afternoon Bridge Club with whom she played bridge until she was 89. Truly her favourite time of year was summertime when she loved sharing the family island on Lake of the Woods with her ever growing and changing family. She took great pleasure her whole life long in boat rides, picnics and sunsets on beautiful Lake of the Woods. Julianna will long be remembered as a kind, considerate and dear person.
Immediate cremation has taken place. A memorial service and celebration of her life will be held at St. Alban's Cathedral, 312 Main Street South, Kenora, on Saturday, November 22nd, 2003 at 1: 30 p.m. A reception downstairs in the church hall will follow immediately afterwards.
As an expression of sympathy, those who wish may make a donation in Julianna's memory to the Lake of the Woods C.T. Scanner Fund, 21 Sylvan Street West, Kenora, Ontario P9N 3W7 or to St. Alban's Cathedral, 312 Main Street South, Kenora, Ontario P9N 1T2, or to a charity of one's choice.

  K... Names     KY... Names     KYL... Names     Welcome Home

KYLE - All Categories in OGSPI