All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"ESP" 2003 Obituary


ESP o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-02-12 published
Cheryl Louise GLOGOWSKI
By Doris GRANT Wednesday, February 12, 2003, Page A22
Graphic designer, wife, daughter, sister, friend, lover of birds. Born September 7, 1960, in Scarborough, Ontario Died June 22, 2002, in North Sydney, Nova Scotia of cancer, aged 41.
Cheryl, the eldest of three children, was the daughter of Marilyn and Arthur ORTIZ. From an early age, she nurtured things: at first insects and butterflies, then cats, birds, animals and always, people. She was instinctively kind.
Cheryl's love of nature developed in the summers spent with her parents and brothers at their Algonquin Park cabin. Her younger brother, Adrian, remembers Cheryl teaching him about the forest and its creatures. The two loved to lie and listen to the wind they relished the meals their mother cooked over open fires.
Cheryl inherited artistic gifts from her father and created works from nature at an early age. Family members treasure her fine pencil-and-ink drawings of animals and birds.
Cheryl attended the Ontario College of Art and Design in Toronto and worked there until she met Troy GLOGOWSKI, the man who became her beloved husband. She, along with her two Siamese cats and her horse, moved to Troy's native Cape Breton. They were married in North Sydney, Nova Scotia in 1990 and the pair bought a home in the Barrachois hills outside North Sydney, where Cheryl was in her element feeding the wild birds and animals.
When Cheryl and Troy built an addition to their home, they included a bird room and Cheryl acquired birds such as budgies, cockatiels, rosellas, macaws and her special African grey parrot, Cosmo. People began bringing her sick or unwanted birds and she never turned them away. "They call me the bird lady now," she would say proudly. Over the years, five macaws were left in Cheryl's care, and just a few weeks before her death, she took in a budgie.
She worked as secretary at St. Matthew Wesley United Church in North Sydney and then moved to ESP Graphics where she applied many of her artistic skills. "I can do anything with these two hands," she always said, and over the years she proved it. She was a self-taught computer whiz.
Diagnosed with breast cancer at 36, Cheryl determined from the outset to beat the disease by educating herself. Unfortunately, the disease metastasized, but she continued her self-education and, with the help of her doctors, tried new medications and alternative medicines. In the end, doctors said, she lived much longer than most with her type of cancer.
Cheryl joined the local breast-cancer support group. Her knowledge and attitude encouraged others to take control of their illness. The group launched its own Dragon Boat to race last year and hoped Cheryl could paint the dragon's eye -- the symbol of its spirit and life. However, Cheryl was too ill.
In September 2001, Cheryl and Troy realized their dream of visiting her brother Ron in Australia. They dove into the Great Coral Reef and marvelled at what they saw. She wrote home that it looks like a spectacular, underwater garden.
Last March, Cheryl flew home to Ontario for Easter with her family, and Ron joined them from Australia. Ron returned with Cheryl to North Sydney for a week, taking her to her treatments and doctor's appointments as each member of the family had over the previous five years.
Cheryl possessed a strong Christian faith and she leaned on it to the end.
Cheryl was buried on a spectacular, summer day with birds singing in the clear, blue, Cape Breton sky.
Cheryl would be happy to know that large numbers of birds continue to visit her feeders at her home in Barrachois.
Doris GRANT is Cheryl's godmother. She wrote this with help from Marilyn ORTIZ, Cheryl's mother.

  E... Names     ES... Names     ESP... Names     Welcome Home

ESP - All Categories in OGSPI

ESPOSITO o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-12-17 published
Life was good for MAGNUSON
By Eric DUHATSCHEK, With a report from Allan MAKI Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - Page S1
It was one of those "catching up with" features newspapers run every so often. Last January, the Chicago Sun-Times profiled Keith MAGNUSON, one of the most popular players ever to pull on a Chicago Blackhawks sweater.
To the thousands who used to pack the old Chicago Stadium, MAGNUSON's ever-lasting appeal came from a rough-and-tumble playing style that produced a cracked cheekbone, three knee injuries requiring surgery, a torn Achilles' tendon, two broken ankles, a dislocated elbow, three broken jaws, a broken vertebra, a broken wrist, a dislocated shoulder, three missing teeth and more than 400 stitches.
MAGNUSON, after reflecting on his career, his hobbies and all the aches and pains that resulted from a 10-year National Hockey League career, observed: "Otherwise, I feel great. Cindy [his wife] and I are real proud of our kids."
"Life is good," MAGNUSON concluded.
Life for MAGNUSON ended at the age of 56 in a fatal automobile accident on Monday afternoon as he was returning home from a funeral for National Hockey League alumni association chairman Keith McCREARY, who died last week of cancer. MAGNUSON was the passenger in a car driven by former National Hockey League player Rob RAMAGE, the vice-chairman of the alumni association.
MAGNUSON played 589 National Hockey League games for the Blackhawks, and on his retirement in October of 1979, he joined the team's coaching staff, as an assistant to Eddie JOHNSTON. JOHNSTON, now the Pittsburgh Penguins' assistant general manager, remembered MAGNUSON yesterday as "the ultimate competitor. I mean, when Keith MAGNUSON put on the skates on, you didn't just get 100 per cent, you got 110 per cent every night. He just played with so much passion, it was unreal."
The Blackhawks made it to the Stanley Cup final twice in MAGNUSON's career, in 1971 and 1973, losing both times to the Montreal Canadiens. It was the heyday of hockey in Chicago. The Blackhawks had Dennis and Bobby HULL, the legendary Stan MIKITA and Tony ESPOSITO, a future Hall Of Fame member, in goal. MAGNUSON's job was to protect ESPOSITO, and he did it with a passion that JOHNSTON said was contagious in the Blackhawks' dressing room.
"What he always did very, very well was set the tone early in the game. He let the opposition know that when you dropped the puck in the game, "This was what you were going to see, guys, for 60 minutes.' "
MAGNUSON, who most recently was the director of sales for Coca-Cola Enterprises, grew up in Saskatoon as an all-round athlete. He was a boyhood chum of former National Hockey League coach Dave KING. The two attended Churchill elementary school and used to play 1-on-1 hockey: KING as a forward and MAGNUSON as a defenceman.
Eventually, MAGNUSON and four other teenagers from Saskatoon earned scholarships at the University of Denver and helped the Pioneers win two National Collegiate Athletic Association championships. MAGNUSON and Tim GOULD played every sport together and were also teamed as defence partners.
"We never missed a shift," said GOULD, whose wife, a nurse in Calgary, woke him early yesterday to inform him of MAGNUSON's death. "He was the greatest guy and a good friend."
GOULD said he and MAGNUSON used to dream up ways to get MAGNUSON to hockey, football and baseball games on Sunday.
MAGNUSON's parents were Baptists and considered the Sabbath a day of rest. It became GOULD's job to sneak into the MAGNUSON home while they were at church and take Keith's equipment to the rink or the diamond.
"Of course, if we scored a goal or a run, our names would be mentioned in the newspaper the next day," GOULD said. "But we thought we were keeping it secret."
GOULD said MAGNUSON was best known among his Friends for having a poor memory. Once in Saskatoon, MAGNUSON drove his dad's car to the rink for a Blades game, only to drive home with a teammate, the two of them completely immersed in the game they had just played.
The next morning, MAGNUSON's father asked where the car was. "Keith had to run back to the rink to get it," said Dale ZEMAN, another of MAGNUSON's former junior and college teammates. "There was also the night Keith and I went bowling when we were freshmen at Denver. We came out and couldn't find the car. It had rolled backwards three blocks because Keith forgot to put it in park."
GOULD said: "He was awful forgetful. We're having a reunion in June [for Denver University hockey] and we had a card printed up, and Keith's quote on it was: 'I'm going to be there -- and Cliff [KOROLL] is going to remind me.' The memories, that's what get you through this."
MAGNUSON is survived by his wife, his daughter, Molly, and his son, Kevin, a former University of Michigan defenceman who had a tryout with the Blackhawks. Recently, after a short playing career in the East Coast Hockey League, Kevin had gone back to school for his law degree, JOHNSTON said.
"To have something like this happen, this close to the holidays, the timing couldn't be worse. It's never good, but geez, here he is, going up there for a funeral for Keith McCREARY and then to have something like this happen.
"God, it's awful," he said. "We'll miss him. He was such a big part of the community in Chicago, an icon. Everybody knew Keith MAGNUSON. It's an awful tragedy."
San Jose Sharks general manager Doug WILSON, another of MAGNUSON's close Friends, was badly shaken by his former teammate's death. WILSON said he thought of MAGNUSON as something of a father figure. "Keith has had a profound influence on my life." Really, all I can say is, all my thoughts and prayers are with Cindy and the kids right now."
Jim DEMARIA, the Blackhawks executive director of communications, worked closely with MAGNUSON in his role as the founder and president of the Chicago alumni association.
"Any time you needed something, you could call Maggy," DEMARIA said. "He was the first guy in line to help any kind of charity you had. I mean, he was just that kind of person. And when the team wasn't doing real well, he was down in the room, talking to the coaches, telling the players, 'keep your chin up, keep working, things will turn around.' He was a real positive guy."

  E... Names     ES... Names     ESP... Names     Welcome Home

ESPOSITO - All Categories in OGSPI