All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"BOR" 2003 Obituary


BORDEN o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-11-07 published
Died This Day -- James Alexander LOUGHEED, 1925
Friday, November 7, 2003 - Page R13
Lawyer and politician born at Brampton, Canada West, in 1854 practised law in Toronto and Calgary; entered partnership with R.B. BENNETT; 1889, named to Senate; 1906, made Conservative leader; 1911, appointed to Privy Council; minister without portfolio in BORDEN government; 1928, name given to mountain west of Calgary.

  B... Names     BO... Names     BOR... Names     Welcome Home

BORDEN - All Categories in OGSPI

BORECKY o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-08-09 published
Bishop served Ukrainian Catholics
Priest confronted the Vatican over mandatory retirement and ordination of married ministers
By Jordan HEATH- RAWLINGS Saturday, August 9, 2003 - Page F10
Toronto -- Isidore BORECKY, who served as Ukrainian Eparch for Toronto and Eastern Canada for more than half a century, died in his sleep on July 23 at Toronto Western Hospital after a long illness. He was 92.
His death came mere hours before Reverend Stephen CHMILAR was installed as Ukrainian Catholic bishop of Toronto and Eastern Canada, the post Father BORECKY fought long and hard to keep.
Born in Ostrivets, Ukraine, on October 1, 1911, Father BORECKY dedicated more than 60 years of his life to the priesthood, and spent his time fostering religious vocations, establishing lay organizations, churches and senior citizens homes for Ukrainian Catholics.
Father BORECKY, Canada's last bishop ordained by Pope Pius Twelfth, entered the priesthood in Munich in July of 1938. He then left Germany for Canada in November of the same year.
From 1938 to 1941, he worked in several churches in Saskatchewan and Manitoba. In 1941, he was appointed pastor at Saint John the Baptist Church in Brantford, Ontario, where he would work for seven years, serving his faithful as well as mission parishes in nearby Grimsby, Niagara Falls, St. Catharines, Thorold and Welland.
On March 3, 1948, Father BORECKY was named by Pope Pius Twelfth to the post of Apostolic Exarch of Eastern Canada. He was consecrated in St. Michael's Cathedral on May 27, and began to organize the new exarchate. During the next eight years, he would achieve his most memorable goal, as the exarchate was raised to the status of eparchy, or diocese, in 1956.
Some of Father BORECKY's most notable work came in Toronto during this period, when he oversaw the rise of many Catholic church institutions -- he encouraged parishioners to erect St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church -- and helped to integrate Eastern Rite Catholic schools into the framework of what would eventually become the Toronto Catholic District School Board.
On February 24, 1952, Father BORECKY celebrated a divine liturgy at St. Teresa's Church, and during the service he encouraged the faithful to begin the construction of their own church building.
A church property was purchased for $1,500 and on March 22, 1954, Father BORECKY blessed it. Parishioners donated their time and labour and on September 6, 1954, the parish hall was opened. The consecration of the church was celebrated on October 16, 1954, and Reverend Walter FIRMAN was appointed the first parish priest.
As leader of Canada's largest Ukrainian Catholic diocese, Father BORECKY was very approachable, said Reverend Taras DUSANOWSKYJ, who is currently pastor at St. Peter and Paul Ukrainian Catholic Church in Toronto.
"He was very much oriented towards his people," he said. "He was very welcoming, open and certainly ecumenical.
"He had a relationship with everyone. He knew all his clergy by name, he knew a lot of the parishioners. He was a very warm person."
He was also a man who stood devoutly for his eparchy's right to practise the Eastern Rites.
Serving as bishop at a time after the Vatican decreed in 1929 that no married men could be ordained into the priesthood, he would arrange for his priests who had wives or wished to marry to be transported to Yugoslavia or Ukraine, where they could be ordained in the traditional Eastern rites, which does not require celibacy.
Father DUSANOWSKYJ, who is one of 40 married priests out of about 75 in the eparchy, said the Vatican did not take well to his plans, but couldn't stop a man who was so strong-minded.
"Certainly there were times when he got his wrist slapped, or he would be called in so they could complain," he said. "But for the most part he simply ignored it because he knew that this was part of our tradition, and without married clergy our eparchy would have been in a tremendous shortage."
Father BORECKY kept the title of bishop until 1998, at the age of 86, 11 years past his required retirement age, when he relinquished it after five years of sparring with the Vatican over the naming of bishop Roman DANYLAK as apostolic administrator for the Toronto eparchy.
Father BORECKY confronted the Vatican over the rule, which states that bishops must retire at the age of 75. He contended that the rule did not apply to him, as he was leader of an Eastern Rite church.
One last accolade came in December of last year, when Ukrainian President Leonid KUCHMA gave him, along with Archbishop Vsevolod MAJDANSKI of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the United States, special commendation orders for service to Ukraine.
Father BORECKY's funeral was held on July 26 at the Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Holy Dormition, his funeral mass led by Ukraine's Cardinal Lubomyr HUSAR, the Major Archbishop of Lviv and spiritual leader to more than five million Ukrainian Catholics worldwide. He has been buried in the family plot at Mount Peace Cemetery.

  B... Names     BO... Names     BOR... Names     Welcome Home

BORECKY - All Categories in OGSPI

BORENSTEIN o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-12-31 published
Slain man was central to case that altered confession rule
By Christie BLATCHFORD, Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - Page A7
The late Kirk Alexander SWEENEY, who was buried just this week, may be best remembered by the general public as one of a number of young black men gunned down over the Christmas holidays.
Toronto homicide detectives may think instead of how crude street justice got Mr. SWEENEY in the end: He was, they say, essentially executed at the G-Spot nightclub in the early-morning hours of December 22.
The handsome 26-year-old allegedly had been a witness, four years ago, to a double murder that took place at another crowded club.
But Mr. SWEENEY, like dozens and dozens of others who were within an arm's length of the victims, refused to tell police what he knew of the shooting of Godfrey (Junior) DUNBAR and Richard BROWN.
The result of their collective silence has been that those two slayings remain unsolved, the killer or killers still at large.
And now, of course, the same hear-, see-, and speak-no-evil rule appears to be applying to the investigation of Mr. SWEENEY's slaying. Detectives find few people who were within eyeshot, among the crowd of 150, willing to co-operate.
But Mr. SWEENEY made a rather more lasting contribution to Canadian criminal law -- aside, that is, from compiling a not unimpressive record of his own on various weapons-related offences.
In the fall of 2000, he was the person at the centre of an important legal case, the outcome of which made it far more difficult for police to get suspects to talk and virtually impossible for prosecutors to take any resulting confessions to court if even a hint of a whiff of a threat had been used to obtain them.
The background goes like this.
On December 31, 1996, a taxi driver -- a hard-working new immigrant picked up two men and drove them to a townhouse complex in Toronto.
One man, allegedly Mr. SWEENEY, was in the front passenger seat, the other in the rear. Once they reached their destination, the man in the front switched off the ignition, while the rear passenger purportedly put his arm around the driver's neck.
The man in the front then allegedly pointed a gun at the driver, threatened to kill him, and demanded his money.
As the driver was reaching to get it, he told police later, the man in the front pistol-whipped him about the head.
The two men fled with the money; the police were called, and within an hour, a police dog was tracking a scent from the cab to the rear entrance of the townhouse of Mr. SWEENEY's family.
As Mr. SWEENEY left the home, he was arrested, along with another suspect.
Mr. SWEENEY subsequently made two statements to police.
One officer said if Mr. SWEENEY could tell them where the gun was, they would not have to execute a search warrant on his mother's home.
Mr. SWEENEY told the detective he had thrown the weapon out a window, but police still couldn't find it.
At Mr. SWEENEY's original trial, Judge David HUMPHREY disallowed the statement on the grounds that it was the product of "an inducement" by the detective.
But Mr. SWEENEY gave another statement.
A second officer said police had prepared a search warrant for the house -- this was true -- and told Mr. SWEENEY that officers would "trash" the house, looking for the gun, if he didn't tell them where it was. Mr. SWEENEY apparently hesitated, and the officer added, "Your mom is already upset. Just be a man and make this easier for her." Mr. SWEENEY told the officer the gun was in a box in his mother's closet, and even drew a little diagram for him.
The police executed the warrant and, as sure as cats like litter, found the gun, right where Mr. SWEENEY said it was.
At trial, Judge HUMPHREY concluded -- sensibly, I'd argue, to the average Joe -- that this statement was also the result of an inducement, and thus involuntary, but found it admissible under what's called the St. Lawrence rule. That rule, taken from an old case of the same name, held that even involuntary statements are admissible if they are reliable -- if, in other words, the suspect is proved to have been telling the truth. In this way, those who make false confessions are still protected.
As Judge HUMPHREY wrote with considerable understatement of the purported inducement, "There was no aura of oppression, no torture it was almost a gentlemen's agreement, if you will."
Mr. SWEENEY was duly convicted by a judge and jury of robbery, assault while using a weapon and two other weapons offences, and sentenced to six years in prison.
Fast forward to the Ontario Court of Appeal, where Mr. SWEENEY's new lawyer, Howard BORENSTEIN, successfully argued that his client's Charter right to remain silent had been violated by the police having held over his head the "threat" of the raucous search.
In a September 25, 2000, decision, Mr. Justice Marc ROSENBERG, writing for the unanimous court, threw out the involuntary confession, thundered that "a threat to destroy the property of a family member by abusing the authority given to the police by the search warrant is not properly characterized as a technical threat" and said that if the confession were allowed, "it would be condoning the use of threats to abuse judicial process" and would "raise serious concerns for the administration of justice."
More broadly, Judge ROSENBERG said that the old St. Lawrence rule was now so undermined by the Charter that it "would only be in highly exceptional circumstances" that a trial judge would be entitled to admit a confession like Mr. SWEENEY's.
And because the poor cab driver -- remember him? -- had had only a glimpse of his attacker, and there was virtually no other evidence against Mr. SWEENEY, the Court of Appeal set aside the conviction and entered an acquittal.
Mr. SWEENEY went on to compile his lengthy criminal record, allegedly witness a double murder about which he remained mute, and die on the floor of the G-Spot. I wonder what all that does for the glory of the administration of justice.
Clarification Due to my inability to read my own notes, I wrote the other day that Adrian BAPTISTE, gunned down last Saturday in a North York parking lot and only eight days out of jail after being acquitted of second-degree murder, had been talking of straightening out his life, and thinking of going into law enforcement. In fact, as his lawyer David BAYLISS told me, Mr. BAPTISTE had dreamed of becoming a lawyer.

  B... Names     BO... Names     BOR... Names     Welcome Home

BORENSTEIN - All Categories in OGSPI

BORETZ o@ca.on.manitoulin.howland.little_current.manitoulin_expositor 2003-06-04 published
Joan HANER (née BOCK)
After a courageous struggle with cancer on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at the age of 68.
Beloved wife of Harold for 25 years. Cherished mother of Jim STEWARD/STEWART/STUART (Debbie,) Bud STEWARD/STEWART/STUART, Debbie WHALEN (Terry), Lorrie STADNISKY (Steve), Heather BOUCHARD (Eric), Shelley SAGHAFI (Abdi), Kevin STEWARD/STEWART/STUART (Liz) and Pamela BORETZ.
Loving grandmother of 27 and great grandmother of 21. Sister of Ruth STEELE (Jim,) Rosella HARRISON (Orville) and Evelyn TARABAS (Pete.) Daughter of the late Ernest and stepdaughter of Frances BOCK. Aunt to several nieces and nephews. Friends called the Arthur Funeral Home and Cremation Centre on Friday, May 30, 2003. The funeral service was held on Saturday May 31 with Reverend Phil MILLER officiating. Interment Greenwood Cemetery.

  B... Names     BO... Names     BOR... Names     Welcome Home

BORETZ - All Categories in OGSPI

BORLAND o@ca.on.manitoulin.howland.little_current.manitoulin_expositor 2003-11-05 published
Wesley " Wes" Edward HALL
In loving memory of Wesley "Wes" Edward HALL who passed away on Sunday, October 26, 2003 at the Sudbury Regional Hospital, St. Joseph's Health Centre at the age of 70 years.
Beloved husband of Lucille (FORTIER) HALL predeceased 1995. Loving father of Wesley (wife Valerie) of Toronto, Michael (wife Colleen) of Ottawa, Allison (husband Alvin LANDRY) of Oshawa, John (wife Marie-Anne) of Ponty Pool, Sharon (husband Danny GIRARD) of Arlington, Texas and Sherri-Lynn (husband Joseph BORLAND) of Milan, Mich. Cherished grandfather of Jennifer, Samantha, Jessica, Kaela, Kaitlyn, Bradley, Rebecca, Nicholas and Ashley. Dear son of Harold and Florence HALL, both predeceased. Dear brother of Harold predeceased (wife Valerie) of Cambridge, Kenneth (wife Eleanor) of Grimsby, Bruce of Toronto, Inez (husband Harold COLLINS predeceased) of Sarnia and Beverley predeceased (husband David ARMSTRONG predeceased). Funeral service was held in the RJ Barnard Chapel, Jackson and Barnard Funeral Home, 233 Larch St. Sudbury on Thursday, October 30, 2003. Cremation in the Parklawn Crematorium.

  B... Names     BO... Names     BOR... Names     Welcome Home

BORLAND - All Categories in OGSPI

BORN o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-09-09 published
PRYCE, Maurice Henry Lecorney
Maurice Henry Lecorney PRYCE died at Vancouver, British Columbia, aged 90. He was a theoretical physicist with very broad interests. Following a spectacular early career at Cambridge, Oxford, and Bristol, he spent the second half of his life in the United States and Canada. Born in Croydon, England, on the 24th of January, 1913, he spent part of his childhood with his French mother in France where he learned to speak French 'like a Normandy peasant'. He was always encouraging to his two younger brothers, and fond of risky experiments such as using a magneto to fire a small cannon loaded with home-made gunpowder. Educated at the Royal Grammar School in Guildford he entered Trinity College, Cambridge, in 1930, graduating in 1933 and continuing to do research there initially with Sir Ralph Fowler and subsequently with the Nobel laureate Max Born. He spent two years as a Commonwealth Fund Fellow at Princeton University in 1935-7 before returning to Cambridge as a Fellow of Trinity College. During this period in Cambridge he made outstanding contributions to the so-called ''New Field Theory'' proposed by Born and Infeld. He also wrote an incisive paper demolishing the then fashionable idea that light quanta might consist of pairs of neutrinos. Paul Dirac, then one of the most influential theoretical physicists, was so impressed (which was a very rare occurrence) that he spontaneously offered to communicate the work to The Royal Society. Maurice PRYCE later remarked that this was the high-point of his scientific life. In 1939 he was appointed to a Readership in Theoretical Physics at Liverpool University, and married Margarete (GRITLI) BORN. At the advent of war he joined the team working on radar at the Admiralty Signal Establishment, and in 1944 transferred to the Joint Atomic Energy Project in Montreal. In 1945 he returned to his fellowship at Trinity College, Cambridge, and a university lectureship, but was soon invited to become Wykeham Professor of Physics at Oxford, a chair which had recently been earmarked for a theoretical physicist after the long tenure of Sir John Townsend. It was a bold appointment for someone aged only 32, who looked even younger than his years. At Oxford he rapidly acquired a large group of research students, many returning from war service, several of whom were to become very distinguished in their fields. His interests and knowledge spread across many branches of physics, and students were put to work on widely ranging topics stretching from field theory, the nuclear shell model, liquid helium, to solid state physics. Maurice PRYCE became most directly involved in interpreting the magnetic properties of atoms which were being studied in great detail through the paramagnetic resonance techniques by Brebis Bleaney and his colleagues in the Clarendon Laboratory. Almost half his published work relates to this area where he elucidated in detail the interaction between the magnetic electrons and the lattice (the crystal field), the effective lattice dynamics (the Jahn-Teller effect) and interaction with the nucleus (hyperfine structure). He also added considerably to the understanding of the magnetic properties of atoms in the actinide series, including the newly discovered transuranics. During his time in Oxford he took sabbatical leave to spend a year as Visiting Professor at Princeton. On his return he acted as the part-time head of the theoretical physics division at the nearby Atomic Energy Research Establishment at Harwell, where he replaced the previous head, Klaus Fuchs, who was arrested in 1950 and convicted on a charge of spying. In 1951 Maurice PRYCE was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society. In 1954, frustrated by the constraints of his position and in particular by the autocratic management of Lord Cherwell, he accepted an invitation to succeed Nevill Mott as Henry Overton Wills Professor of Physics at the University of Bristol. With greater administrative duties as head of the department he had less time to develop his research group but he continued with the subjects that he had begun at Oxford. His first marriage had broken down, and he married Freda KINSEY in 1961. He then accepted a tempting offer by the University of Southern California, and moved there in 1964, with the promise of resources to build up, essentially from scratch, a first class physics department. The reality turned out to be less attractive than he had hoped. In 1968 he moved again to a chair at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver where he was to remain until his death, on the 24th of July 2003. During these later years his main contributions were in the quite different field of astrophysics, although others, on molecular photoionisation and on the properties of the hydroxyl radical, continued to display his versatility and his wide understanding of physics. This knowledge was greatly valued by his colleagues who would rely on a critical appraisal of their work and its interpretation. But he did not suffer fools gladly and was a harsh critic; in a seminar, he could devastate the speaker and embarrass the audience with his acerbic comments. He also continued his interest in atomic energy derived from his wartime work and was latterly a member of the Technical Advisory Committee to the Atomic Energy of Canada Limited with a particular interest on nuclear fuel waste management. Some of his last work related to the questions of the safety of deposit of radioactive materials in geological structures. Maurice PRYCE was a keen walker and camper and, in younger days, a dinghy sailor. He was a competent pianist and liked to relax by playing classical music, mainly Bach and Mozart. He was a good cook, which stood him in good stead when entertaining Friends and family after his second wife died in 1990. He inherited from his father a love and knowledge of gardening, which he passed on to all four of his children. He always kept a boyish liking for silly games, from elaborate sandcastles on the beach to noisy card games on the living room floor. Until ill health stopped him, he was a skilful Scrabble player. He created a family tradition, perhaps characteristic of his personal philosophy, of Collaborative Scrabble -- the main aim is, within the rules, to maximize the overall score rather than to beat the other players. The mathematical gene has also passed on to his son John, well known in his field of mathematical software engineering; and to John's son Nathaniel, a professional software engineer. The last 14 years of his life he spent in the company of his great friend Eileen GOLDBERG, the widow of a South African lawyer who had been active in the fight against apartheid. They shared their love of music, literature, and walks in the woods. In December, 1997, he was incapacitated by an osteoporosis-induced bone fracture and subsequent infection, and spent his last five years at the University Hospital in Vancouver, visited daily by Eileen. During this period his mind was unaffected, and he bore immobility and frequent pain with patience, courage and a sense of humour, remaining in exemplary good spirits throughout. He is survived by his son, John, and three daughters, Sylvia, Lois and Suki, all from his first marriage.
Copyright: Roger Elliott and John Sanders/The Independent, London.

  B... Names     BO... Names     BOR... Names     Welcome Home

BORN - All Categories in OGSPI

BOROVOY o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-06-27 published
Ontario human-rights pioneer Daniel G. HILL 3rd dead at 79
By Sahm ADRANGI Friday, June 27, 2003 - Page A8
Daniel G. HILL 3rd, a black civil-rights activist and Ontario's first human-rights commissioner, died yesterday in a Toronto hospital of complications from diabetes. He was 79.
Born in Independence, Missouri, Dr. HILL moved to Canada in the 1950s after serving in the U.S. Army and immediately became one of Canada's leading voices on racial equality.
He helped establish the Ontario Human Rights Commission in 1962 at the height of the civil-rights movement, and became its first director.
"Dan had a steadfast commitment to equality that never left him," said Alan BOROVOY, a long-time friend of Dr. HILL and general counsel of the Canadian Civil Liberties Association.
"When he started with the human-rights commission it was very much an experiment. The community was not behind it the way it is today. But through a combination of toughness, wisdom and skill, he was able to change the human-rights commission into a formidable institution; he made it work."
Dr. HILL was the father of singer-songwriter Dan HILL and novelist Lawrence HILL, both well known in their own right.
Both artists were deeply affected by their father's passion for racial equality, according to Lawrence HILL.
"As artists and human beings, [my brother and I] identify very much with our parents' struggle, and he's influenced us through and through," he said.
Dr. HILL is survived by his wife, Donna, and children Dan, Lawrence and Karen HILL.

  B... Names     BO... Names     BOR... Names     Welcome Home

BOROVOY - All Categories in OGSPI