All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"BOD" 2003 Obituary


BODIE o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-08-19 published
Knocked unconscious, the young bomb aimer was saved when his flight engineer pushed him out of their stricken Lancaster
By Tom HAWTHORN Special to The Globe and Mail Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - Page R7
Victoria -- A Second World War bomb aimer who survived an ill-fated mission during which his friend Andrew MYNARSKI was later awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross for trying the save a trapped fellow crewman has died. Jack FRIDAY, who spent his peacetime career with Air Canada, died in Thunder Bay.
Mr. MYNARSKI's sacrifice awed a generation of children who learned of it in their school readers. Mr. FRIDAY was often asked to recount what happened aboard his doomed Lancaster as it burned over France. What many did not realize was that Mr. FRIDAY only learned the details of Mr. MYNARSKI's heroism after the end of the war.
On June 12, 1944, his Royal Canadian Air Force crew was assigned to bomb the railroad marshalling yards at Cambrai. The mission was similar to others in recent days, as No. 419 (Moose) Squadron attacked German reinforcements being rushed forward to repel Allied forces in Normandy.
Six days earlier, the crew had bombed coastal guns at Longues in the early-morning hours before the invasion fleet landed on D-Day. The Cambrai target -- their 13th mission -- was to be attacked on in the early morning hours of June 13. Later, superstitious survivors would speak of that coincidence as a missed omen.
Their Lancaster lifted off the runway at Middleton St. George in Yorkshire at 9: 44 p.m. on June 12. After crossing the English Channel, the bomber was coned -- caught in searchlights -- but the pilot, Flying Officer Arthur DE BREYNE, managed to manoeuvre his craft out of the dreaded lights.
The reprieve did not last long.
Rear gunner Patrick BROPHY, who sat in an isolated compartment at the rear of the aircraft, spotted an enemy fighter below. "Bogey astern! Six o'clock!" he shouted into the intercom, just before a Junkers 88 attacked.
Mr. DE BREYNE threw the bomber into an evasive corkscrew. In an instant, though, his plane was rocked by three explosions. Both port engines were knocked out and the wing set afire. A hydraulic line in the fuselage had also been severed and the midsection of the plane was burning.
The pilot ordered the crew to evacuate as he struggled to prevent the Lancaster from going into a dive. Mr. FRIDAY's duty as bomb aimer was to release the escape hatch. As he did so, the rushing wind whipped the steel door open, striking him above the right eye.
Flight engineer Roy VIGARS was the first among the other crew to clamber to the hatch.
"I made my way down to the bomb-aimer's position and found Jack FRIDAY slumped on the floor, unconscious," Mr. VIGARS told Bette PAGE for her 1989 book, Mynarski's Lanc. "I rolled him over, clipped on his parachute pack, and slid him over to the escape hatch and dropped him through the opening while holding on to the ripcord."
The act was risky, as the parachute could have wrapped around the craft's tail wheel. Mr. VIGARS saw that Mr. FRIDAY's parachute had opened clear of the bomber. He then jumped, followed by wireless operator James KELLY, navigator Robert BODIE and the pilot, who had recovered control of the bomber and set it on a gentle descent.
Unknown to those men, a terrible drama was being played out at the rear of the flaming craft.
As Warrant Officer MYNARSKI prepared to jump, he looked back to see that Flying Officer Patrick BROPHY was still at his rear-gunner's position.
Mr. MYNARSKI, the mid-upper gunner, crawled through the burning fuselage, his uniform and parachute catching fire. Mr. BROPHY was trapped in his seat and the men struggled desperately to free him.
Finally, Mr. BROPHY told Mr. MYNARSKI to jump without him.
Mr. MYNARSKI crawled back through the fire, stood at the door, saluted his doomed comrade, and leapt into the inky sky with his uniform and parachute in flames.
Aboard the Lancaster, Mr. BROPHY prepared for certain death.
Some miles away, Mr. FRIDAY floated unconscious to earth by parachute, landing near a chateau at Hedauville. A pair of farm workers found him in a vineyard the next morning. He was taken to a local doctor who feared reprisals for treating an Allied airman. The injured man was turned over to the Germans.
Mr. FRIDAY finally regained consciousness on June 17, wakening in a prison cell in Amiens. He feared he had lost his eye. A fellow prisoner peeked beneath Mr. FRIDAY's bandages and saw that a flap of skin was blocking his vision. The wound had not been stitched.
Mr. FRIDAY was reunited with Mr. VIGARS as their captors prepared to transport prisoners to Germany.
The pair were sent to an interrogation centre near Frankfurt, before being transferred to Stalag Luft 7 at Bankau, outside Breslau (now Wroclaw), in Silesia near Poland.
The men were separated again on January 18, 1945, as the Germans marched prisoners out of the camp ahead of the advancing Soviet army. The forced march was arduous. Many died of disease, exposure and exhaustion. Mr. FRIDAY survived by stealing frozen beets and potatoes from farmer's fields. He would later remember the only warm night of the march was spent in a barn, where he snuggled overnight with a cow. Mr. FRIDAY was at last liberated by the Soviets in April.
He returned to England in May, where, as recounted in the 1992 book, The Evaders, he prepared a statement, the brevity of which perfectly captured his sense of the dramatic events. "Took off from Middleton St. George. Do not remember briefing or takeoff. First thing I remember is coming to in a hospital in Amiens."
Only later did he learn what happened aboard the Lancaster. As the bomber crashed, the port wing struck a tree, causing the plane to veer violently to the left. The force freed Mr. BROPHY from his turret prison and he landed against a tree, far away from the burning wreckage. He had survived.
Mr. MYNARSKI, the son of Polish immigrants and a leather worker in civilian life, was not as fortunate. He was found by the French, but was so badly burned that he soon died from his injuries. He was 27.
The other crewmen, including Mr. BROPHY, evaded capture with the assistance of French civilians.
John William FRIDAY was the third son born to a pharmacist in Port Arthur, Ontario, on December 21, 1921. He graduated from Port Arthur Collegiate Institute before joining the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1942. He was demobilized with the rank of flying officer. He worked as an Air Canada passenger agent for 31 years before retiring in 1985.
In 1988, he joined his former crew mates in ceremonies marking the dedication of a restored Lancaster at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum at Mount Hope, Ontario The aircraft, which was refurbished in the colours and markings of the crew's plane, has been designated the MYNARSKI Memorial Lancaster. MYNARSKI's name also graces a string of three lakes in Manitoba, as well as a park, a school and a civic ward in his hometown of Winnipeg.
Mr. FRIDAY died of cancer in Thunder Bay, Ontario, on June 22. He leaves Shirley (née BISSONNETTE,) his wife of 54 years, five children and four younger sisters. He was predeceased by two brothers.
Mr. BROPHY, whose life he tried to save, died at age 68 at St. Catharines, Ontario, in 1991. According to the second edition of MYNARSKI's Lanc, Mr. VIGARS, who saved Mr. FRIDAY's life, died in 1989 at Guildford, England; Mr. DE BREYNE died at St. Lambert, Quebec, in 1991; and, Mr. BODIE died in Vancouver in 1994. Mr. FRIDAY's death leaves James KELLY of Toronto as the only survivor.

  B... Names     BO... Names     BOD... Names     Welcome Home

BODIE - All Categories in OGSPI

BODLEY o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-02-25 published
Christina Ingeborg BODLEY
By Steven BODLEY Tuesday, February 25, 2003 - Page A24
Student, teacher, mother. Born January 10, 1929, in Breslau, Germany. Died July 3, 2002, in London, Ontario, of natural causes, aged 73.
Back in the bad old days, before we realized smoking was more than just a nasty habit, some high schools had designated "smoking areas." In Belleville, Ontario, at Moira Secondary School, it was a painted-off section of the rear parking lot, smack in the middle of the main thoroughfare for students and teachers as they moved between classes. It was also our social focal point, and we raced out during breaks to stand there, bumming smokes and swapping stories.
I always told my mother that I was just there for the conversation. Whether she believed me or not she never let on, and never looked for me there, puffing away as she walked by. If you are assuming my mother was a teacher at my high school, you would be mistaken: she was a student in Grade 13, resuming her interrupted education.
Born in Germany in 1929, she spoke little of her childhood, even when prompted. An only child, her family seems to have been fairly well-off, and her early schooling included field trips to the opera. Childhood ended for her at the age of 10, in 1939, when Adolf Hitler's Germany plunged the world into one of its darkest periods.
She was orphaned early during the war, her mother hemorrhaging in premature labour at home while Christina frantically searched through a blacked-out city for a doctor. Her father was a victim of an Allied bomb. She ended the war alone at 16, cleaning wounds and washing bandages with a medical unit, relocating day-to-day as the Allies closed in on the Third Reich.
In the chaos of postwar Germany, my mother lied about her age by three years to avoid being placed in a camp with other refugee children. Her flawless command of English got her work as a translator for the Allies in Heidelberg. Like many, she opted to leave Europe and her past -- behind. Although her first choice was to emigrate to the United States, Canada was easier to get into, and so she sailed for Halifax in 1948 on the S.S. Veendam. She never looked back, and embraced Canada completely, becoming a citizen in 1952.
She married Roger BODLEY in 1952 and two children (myself and my sister Julie), soon followed. We moved to Belleville, Ontario, in 1958, and she remained there for the rest of her life.
She started taking correspondence courses to complete high-school, remarking that education was "the only possession that no one could ever take away from you." She spent the next 20 years studying part-time at Queen's, eventually graduating with an M.A. in education.
The 1970s saw the proliferation of community colleges in Ontario, and she joined the faculty at Loyalist College in Belleville just after it opened. It was there, teaching English, that she spent her happiest years. As the years passed, the loss of those three years as a result of her lie in 1945 came back to haunt her and she eventually obtained a revised birth certificate. This added a precious three years for her to continue teaching before forced retirement at age 65.
She returned to Germany but once, however travelling became her passion. She preferred England. She roamed the British Library, the art galleries and museums like a curious child. When she came home, she always brought some small memento of her trip for everyone: from her Friends and family to the cashier at the grocery store.
Learning and teaching the humanities were always her focus, and when she died a memorial fund collected more than enough money to place a bench in her memory in the Alumni Memorial Garden at Loyalist College. There, students will be able to sit, read, or just rest between classes. Mom would have liked that.
Steven BODLEY is Christina's son.

  B... Names     BO... Names     BOD... Names     Welcome Home

BODLEY - All Categories in OGSPI

BODSON o@ca.on.manitoulin.howland.little_current.manitoulin_expositor 2003-03-05 published
Marcel Alexander GORZYNSKI
In loving memory of Marcel Alexander GORZYNSKI, born January 16, 1925 in Poland, died February 23, 2003 at his residence on Manitoulin Island.
He married in 1948 in Germany to Lena (KAPPLER,) and they came to Canada in 1949 to Montreal. In 1950 he came to Sudbury and was hired at INCO. He was a millwright retiring in 1985. In 1975 he went camping on Manitoulin Island. While he was there he and his wife went out looking for waterfront property. They bought one on Lake Manitou and started building a camp. In 1986 he moved to Manitoulin Island permanently. Marcel enjoyed his life on Manitoulin Island to the fullest. He grew everything in the garden. He planted trees all around, Chestnut, Walnut, Apple, Pear and Grape. The flower garden was started too. Roses were his favourite. He had a green thumb for gardening and took great pride in his flowers and fruit. He was predeceased by his canine friend, Lady. Marcel battled non-Hodgin's lymphoma for two years. He died peacefully in his beloved home. We all miss him. Beloved husband of Lena (KAPPLER) GORZYNSKI of Sudbury. Loving father of Madeline (husband Terry BUCKMAN,) Patricia (husband Norm BODSON,) and Raymond (partner Debbie ROBERTSON) all of Sudbury. Cherished grandfather of Andrea and Stephanie. The Memorial Service was held in the R. J. Barnard Chapel, Jackson and Barnard Funeral Home, 233 Larch Street Sudbury on Thursday, February 27, 2003. Cremation at the Park Lawn Crematorium.

  B... Names     BO... Names     BOD... Names     Welcome Home

BODSON - All Categories in OGSPI