All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"BLE" 2003 Obituary


BLEA o@ca.on.manitoulin.howland.little_current.manitoulin_expositor 2003-01-15 published
Moira "Molly" BLEA
At North Bay General Hospital, Scollard Site, Saturday, January 12, 2003.
Moira DONOVAN beloved wife of James BLEA in her 76th year. Loving mother of Janet LABRECQUE (John) of Callander and David BLEA (Donna) of Keswick. Lovingly remembered by eight grandchildren, Jennifer CAMPEAU (Jean-Marc,) Joanne TAILOR/TAYLOR (Maxwell), Jeannie KENNEDY (Troy), Stephan, Sara, Adam, Issac, and Aaron BLEA and five great grandchildren, Jessica, Jenna, Molly, Meagan and Kyle. Dear sister of Richard DONOVAN (Marianne.) Dear aunt of Bridget MacKAY (David) and great aunt of Abigail, James and Darcy. Visitation at the McQuinty Funeral Home, Wednesday, January 15 from 1: 30 to 2:00 p.m. Funeral Service will be conducted in the McQuinty Funeral Home Chapel at 2: 00 p.m. Cremation to follow. McQuinty Funeral Home, 591 Cassells St. North Bay, Ont. P1B 3Z8. 705-472-8520.

  B... Names     BL... Names     BLE... Names     Welcome Home

BLEA - All Categories in OGSPI

BLEAKEN o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-05-28 published
BLEAKEN, Maynard,
92, P.Eng. Metallurgical Engineering (U of T). Active in the Boy Scout movement of Toronto and a member of Corinthian Masonic Lodge G.R.C. for 68 years. Died at home in Red Deer, Alberta on May 24th, 2003.

  B... Names     BL... Names     BLE... Names     Welcome Home

BLEAKEN - All Categories in OGSPI

BLEASDALE o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-07-26 published
'Preston Guild Weekend' is celebrated every ten years. It's a coming together of all the guilds (unions of craft and trades) that made up the important and prosperous town of Preston, Lancashire, England. On Sunday September 3rd 1922, the anniversary of the festival, Bennett (Ben) was born to Elizabeth and William BLEASDALE, their fourth child and only son. The advent of a son to carry on the ancient family name was so welcome his father fired three shots into the air to announce the birth to neighbours and Friends. At three months of age Ben traveled to Canada with the family. Ben's father was a tool and die maker. Ben had happy memories of a childhood spent in the Fort William and Windsor/Detroit areas. In the mid thirties Ben's two older sisters married and settled in Canada, but work was scarce, so William and Elizabeth returned to England with Ben and his sister Ida. They lived in Romford for awhile and later moved back to Preston. World War 2 was declared on Ben's 17th birthday. Ben finished his education and on December 11th, 1941 enlisted in the R.E.M.E. as a radio engineer. He served in Belgium and Holland and was with the first forces to enter Germany and liberate some of the concentration camps. Ben was de-mobbed in 1947 and went to work at the London airport. He worked in communications and this is where he met his future wife Margaret. Ben and Margaret worked together in air traffic control. In May 1952 Ben joined the Marconi Company and left England to work on the D.E.W. line. Margaret arrived in November 1952 and set up a home in Toronto. They were married July 31st, 1954. Ben went to work for Picker X-ray Engineering as a serviceman and was well known in Toronto's hospitals X-ray departments. He later worked in a similar capacity for the Digiray Company. In 1956 the couple bought a house in Bendale Park and raised a family, Lynn, Sarah (deceased), Richard and John. Lynn is an artist with the Gananoque Theatre, Rick is with Bradley Controls and John is in social work. In 1962 the family built a home in Greenwood (North Pickering) and were an active part of the community for 25 years. Ben was an avid rose gardener and builder of stone walls. An invitation to Marg, 'How about a nice walk?,' usually meant that he had spotted an interesting rock and needed help to carry it home. Ben enjoyed painting in water colours. Family and Friends have beautiful gifts to remember his love. On retiring from Digiray, Ben and Marg built a home in Leskard and enjoyed watching ducks and geese raise families on the pond. Ben was always accompanied by Walden the retriever. In September 2002 Ben enjoyed his 80th birthday party surrounded by family and Friends. Ben proudly showed off his roses and gave tours of the garden to visitors. Ben was loved and respected by all who knew him. He died of cancer on Easter Sunday, April 20th, 2003. He left us with wonderful memories of a beautiful person and a beautiful life. A private memorial will be held July 26th, 2003 in his garden. Dad Your beauty now lies in our memories You saw the horrors of war early, and strove to create peace You bore life's burdens with dignity Touched others with graceful harmony Became whole when you met Mom Raised us to aspire to be half of what you were To be loved half as much as you are When you left, the world, for a second, stopped turning and cried. ­ John Bleasdale

  B... Names     BL... Names     BLE... Names     Welcome Home

BLEASDALE - All Categories in OGSPI

BLENKINSOP o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-05-23 published
By Jeff ARNOLD Friday, May 23, 2003 - Page A20
Husband, father, grandfather, son, brother, friend. Born February 7, 1944, in Brantford, Ontario Died March 31 in Burlington, Ontario, from complications of cancer, aged 59.
I first met Barry in the summer of 1986 at the city morgue in Toronto. Not the usual place to meet someone who will forever change your life. In a barren police office late one afternoon, Barry walked in to see me dressed in scrubs, white rubber boots and a white plastic apron speckled with red.
Barry was a unique person in a unique occupation. I was a naive university student exploring a future career in forensic pathology. There was an instant connection. Not only did we just happen to grow up in the same town of Brantford, Ontario, but the person who gave me my initial training in autopsy techniques was the same person with whom Barry saw his first autopsy. Small world.
Barry BLENKINSOP is a legend. For most of his career, he worked as the supervisor of the pathologists' assistants in the Forensic Pathology Unit at the Office of the Chief Coroner. Most people of significance in the forensic business in Ontario (police, coroners, forensic pathologists), had heard of him.
Barry had extensive experience in the field, having assisted with approximately 24,000 autopsies -- an major accomplishment. This ultimately lead him to become the manager of the Forensic Pathology Unit two years ago.
Barry was a true humanitarian; he lived to serve the public. Over the course of his 27 years of public service with the Coroner's Office, Barry sat down with, and spoke to, hundreds or perhaps thousands of grieving family members who were left with the unpleasant task of attending the Coroner's Office to identify loved ones. For so many of them, Barry made this necessity a much softer experience. His gentle voice and quiet demeanour calmed many a crying soul. Much of the time, his efforts went unnoticed, yet those who have experienced his soft hand on their shoulder or had their tears wiped away by him could attest to his kindness.
Barry, a man of many talents, could seemingly could fix anything. His flowerbeds and his lawn were immaculate. If anything needed to be constructed, Barry would build it; every corner was perfect, every nail in its place. It was construction that was built to last. Barry built a goldfish pond on his backyard deck and raised goldfish for fun.
There was always an air of silent confidence about him. Barry was an avid reader and, as a result, was a well-rounded conversationalist. His wife Nancy and children meant everything to him. He adored his two grandchildren Sarah and Nicholas; they loved their Papa and were blessed with many visits from him.
Barry had his hand in the training of countless medical students and pathology residents over the years.
Back in 1986, he took me under his wing and mentored me; I became his shadow for many, many years. His knowledge, motivation and expert use of a scalpel in the autopsy room were awe-inspiring. He is, in my opinion, the master in the world of forensics. I believe many would agree.
For some, Barry was not easy to work for because of his enormously high standards, but in the medico-legal world, a precise and honest work ethic is essential for success.
I was privileged with being trained by the best of the best, and I am so grateful. Having worked elbow-to-elbow with him for so many years, I owe it to Barry to pick up where he left off, and am determined not to let him down. His shoes will be difficult to fill, but I will try.
Barry's thoughtfulness, expertise and love will be sadly missed by all.
Jeff ARNOLD is Barry's friend and colleague.

  B... Names     BL... Names     BLE... Names     Welcome Home

BLENKINSOP - All Categories in OGSPI

BLERSH o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-10-02 published
He fought the Teamsters -- and won
Worker won protection for part-timers in a court battle that involved the most powerful union in North America
By James McCREADY Special to The Globe and Mail Thursday, October 2, 2003 - Page R13
Gerry MASSICOTTE was a man who didn't like being pushed around, and one of his fights made him famous, at least for a while. He won a precedent-setting case involving unfair labour practices, not just against his employer but also the Teamsters, the most powerful union in North America. The legal battle lasted about three years, in what was mostly a one-man fight in a case that was heard in the Supreme Court of Canada.
He didn't take no for an answer when the union said it wouldn't handle his grievance, insisting that he deserved better because he had paid his dues.
"His fight was based on the simple principle of taxation without representation," said Ray KUSZELEWSKI, now a Halifax lawyer but back in the late 1970s another Teamster with a problem with the union. The Teamsters not only refused to represent Mr. MASSICOTTE, but it negotiated a lower wage, from $6.85 an hour to $6, in Mr. MASSICOTTE, who has died at the age of 55, was a man who could not be pigeonholed. He had a degree in social work and worked as a professional for more than 10 years before the intensity of the work forced him to leave.
Gerald Manley MASSICOTTE was born on October 22, 1947, in Toronto. His father worked at the Post Office, his mother worked in restaurants. Eventually she ended up owning her own place, The New Brazil, at Runnymede and St. Clair in Toronto. Later, Mr. MASSICOTTE and his wife, Elaine, would take it over.
Mr. MASSICOTTE went to Runnymede Collegiate and graduated with a degree in social work from Ryerson Polytechnical Institute. He worked for many years as a social worker in group homes for children and in halfway houses. He then took on part-time work, including a stint at Humes Transport, loading refrigerated trucks. He did that for 2½ years, before he was fired.
That started his long crusade against the Teamsters. On Aug.16, 1979, he filed a grievance asking his union to protest his firing.
"I claim that I have been unjustly terminated and must be reinstated immediately," began his grievance letter to local 938 of the Teamsters. The answer came back that the union would not represent him, and that he had no protection as a part-time employee, in spite of paying union dues of $18 a month.
At the time, Mr. MASSICOTTE and others were unhappy with the way the Teamsters were run and he set out to prove that it did him wrong.
The case went to the Canada Labour Relations Board. The union argued that the safe, clean environment it negotiated with Humes Transport was a great benefit for a part-timer like Mr. MASSICOTTE. The union also informed him that his pay would be lowered so the company could pay full-time employees more. In late January, 1980, the Labour Relations Board ruled in favour of Mr. MASSICOTTE, ordering the union to pay costs. But the Teamsters wouldn't quit. The union took the case to the Federal Court of Appeal in October, 1980, but lost.
"The union and the employer have established the price of their labour, and in MASSICOTTE's case, reduced that price drastically without asking him," wrote the court.
The case went to the Supreme Court, and the Chief Justice, Bora LASKIN, confirmed the lower court's ruling in May, 1982.
"It was one of the few cases in which a union member took his union to court for not representing him," said Brian IHLER, the lawyer who worked with him on the case.
It set a precedent that all unions in Canada would have to represent all their dues-paying members.
By the time the Supreme Court ruling came down, Mr. MASSICOTTE had moved on with his life. A keen cook, he took courses at George Brown College. He also became well-known again, but for his food this time. He renamed his mother's restaurant, the Northland Truck Stop and Café.
Mr. MASSICOTTE later moved into his wife's father's business, selling and servicing small pumps, used soft-drink machines and even kidney dialysis machines. He and his wife ran the company, Potter-Blersh. He died of cancer on July 15.
Gerry MASSICOTTE leaves wife Elaine BLERSH; siblings Debbie, Jeff, Ron and Jim; and mother Joan.

  B... Names     BL... Names     BLE... Names     Welcome Home

BLERSH - All Categories in OGSPI

BLEWETT o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-08-15 published
Died This Day -- George BLEWETT, 1912
Friday, August 15, 2003 - Page R5
Philosopher and academic born at Saint Thomas, Ontario, on December 9, 1873; taught at Victoria College, University of Toronto 1906-12 author of The Study of Nature and The Vision of God (1907) and The Christian View of the World (1912); died at Go Home Bay, Ontario

  B... Names     BL... Names     BLE... Names     Welcome Home

BLEWETT - All Categories in OGSPI