All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1

"ELY" 2008 Obituary


ELYEA 

ELYEA o@ca.on.simcoe_county.nottawasaga.collingwood.the_connection 2008-06-20 published
Fire claims life of local woman
By John EDWARDS, Page 3
The death of a woman in a townhouse fire in Collingwood on Saturday has rocked the entire neighbourhood, according to one resident.
Fire crews were called to a town house complex on Matthew Way at about 10 p.m., on Saturday.
According to Collingwood Fire Chief Trent ELYEA, the fire started in the kitchen while a man and a woman were in the home. He said they were not responsive when crews arrived and could have been asleep. The fire has been ruled as "accidental in nature," and started in the stove area.
"It was not a malfunction," said fire prevention officer Robert BOLT.
BOLT pegged the damage at about $125,000.
The woman was taken to Collingwood General and Marine Hospital where she was pronounced dead.
The man was airlifted to Hospital in Hamilton where he was put in a hyperbaric chamber, according to ELYEA, to bring his carbon monoxide levels down before he could be treated for his injuries - burns and smoke inhalation.
There were also two dogs and a cat in the home at the time. One of the cats died in the fire, the second lived and paramedics attempted to revive the dog but it was then taken to a local veterinarian. ELYEA was not aware of the condition of the dog.
Neighbours who lived next door confirmed that Ken and Sharon McDOUGALL lived in unit 306 at the Matthew Way complex, although Collingwood Ontario Provincial Police have not released the name of the victim as they are still attempting to notify the next of kin.
Julie, who asked that The Connection not publish her last name, said the couple kept to themselves, adding Mrs. McDOUGALL had an illness that kept her in bed a lot oft he time.
"They were very nice people," she said.
Julie said she wasn't aware that a fire was happening until her neighbour told her.
"Because there was no flames," she said.
She said it has had a big impact on the area.
"It's sad, it's a tragedy," she said. Another neighbour Drew who also didn't want his last name published, said everyone in the complex is feeling a sense of loss.
"Everybody is going to have a day of mourning," he said.
Julie said her kids have taken the incident very hard. Her nine-year-old daughter set up a memorial outside the home with a cross and flowers.
"She is very emotional," she said. Julie said some neighbours have been having nightmares over the incident and others had to leave their homes for the night because they were so upset.
"It's something that you always fear can happen, but you never hope it happens," she said.
ELYEA said the smoke alarms were working but the alarms tended to go off quite regularly and neighbours assumed it was another false alarm.
"That is accurate," he said. "There was a complacency issue."
A crew of three firefighters arrived on the scene first and was able to get both occupants outside so paramedics could treat them.
"They did an excellent knockdown and excellent recovery," ELYEA said of his crew.

  E... Names     EL... Names     ELY... Names     Welcome Home

ELYEA - All Categories in OGSPI