All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"TAY" 2007 Obituary


TAY o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2007-06-16 published
BENDER, Ronald Cecil (1946-2007)
Retired Teacher Ottawa Carleton District School Board. 1st recipient of the Prime Minister's Award for Teaching Excellence in Science, Technology and Mathematics. Recipient of the University of Waterloo Descartes Award
Passed away in Ottawa, on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 after a courageous battle with leukemia. Best friend and husband of Sharon Ann (nee BOYD) for 37 years. Loving father of Matt (Jennifer BELLMAN) and Amy; proud and doting Papa of Callum. Dear brother of Pat (Jim BARBER,) Judy (Tim OLAVESON) and Rob. Cherished son-in-law of Mrs. Velma DUNN. He will be fondly remembered by his entire family and his many, many Friends. The family wishes to express their heartfelt thanks for the exceptional care and compassion Ron received from Doctor HUEBSCH, Doctor TAY, Sheryl McDIARMID, Gail MacARTNEY, Harry HOPKINS, and the staff of both 5 West and the Intensive Care Unit at the Ottawa General Hospital. Memorial visitation will be held at McEvoy-Shields Funeral Home, 1411 Hunt Club Rd (at Albion Rd, one block east of Bank St) on Sunday, June 17th from 12 noon-4 p.m. and 6-9 p.m. and Monday, June 18th from 9: 30 a.m. until service time in the Chapel at 11 a.m. In lieu of flowers, the family has requested that a donation be made in Ron's memory to the University of Ottawa Heart Institute, Rm H2411, 40 Ruskin St. Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 4W7 or the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation, 503 Smyth Rd. Ottawa, Ontario K1H 9Z9 Condolences may be sent to

  T... Names     TA... Names     TAY... Names     Welcome Home

TAY - All Categories in OGSPI

TAYG o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2007-12-08 published
RUDAT, Brenda Louise
Brenda Louise RUDAT passed away on November 30, 2007 after a lengthy illness. She will be greatly missed by her mother, Lilian BAUMAN/BOWMAN and by her loving husband, John. She will be fondly remembered by her sons Carl and Russell and by her daughter-in-law Melissa. Brenda adored her granddaughter Alexis and grand_son TAYG. Her loving presence will be sadly missed. She is survived by her brother Bob BAUMAN/BOWMAN and her sister Beryl GEMERT. She was predeceased by her sister Carol McKELLAR. The RUDAT family would like to thank the nurses and staff at the Palliative Care Unit of the Penetanguishene General Hospital for their kindness and compassion. Friends and family are invited to attend a Celebration of Brenda's Life at Nicholls Funeral Home in Midland on Saturday, December 15th from 2-4 p.m. Cremation has taken place in accordance with Brenda's wishes. Donations in lieu of flowers can be made to the Canadian Cancer Society or the Canadian Diabetes Association.

  T... Names     TA... Names     TAY... Names     Welcome Home

TAYG - All Categories in OGSPI

TAYLOR o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2007-08-10 published
One of Canada's last explorers, he mapped vast regions of the North
Ottawa scientist who spent 35 years working for the Geological Survey of Canada found rock stardom in the wilderness as a pre-eminent expert on Precambrian formations
By Alwynne GWILT, Page S9
Fred TAILOR/TAYLOR was one of Canada's last explorers. A scientist with boots and a backpack, he mapped vast areas of the geologically unknown North to accumulate a motherlode of data about the rocks, minerals and formations that make up one of the largest and oldest landmasses on Earth. His maps are still used for exploration today and some have said he deserves a medal for the amount of territory he covered in his years of service to the Geological Survey of Canada.
He hadn't always intended to be a geologist. He grew up in London, amid the rich, loamy farmlands characteristic of that part of Ontario, and hankered to be a veterinarian. A child of the Depression, he was raised in his grandmother Elizabeth's home on Simcoe Street, where he lived with his English immigrant parents, Samuel and Lydia. It was a time when few people had jobs and his family often did without. It was a hardship that would affect Doctor TAILOR/TAYLOR in later years.
By the time the Second World War came around, he was a lean 13-year old whose height made him look older than he was. In 1942, he signed up illegally as an underage army recruit, but it was not until 1945 that he made it overseas. He fought in Holland, Belgium, Germany and France, an experience he seldom talked about except for the inexplicable remark that he owed his life to his general.
When peace returned, he was demobilized and given two choices by the government: a home or an education. Not yet 20 when the war ended, he thought about where an education might take him. A house was for older men. In 1946, he applied to veterinary school at the University of Western Ontario, only to be disappointed. Apparently, so many former servicemen wanted to be vets that the school asked him to select a different major. For no particular reason, he chose geology. The decision changed the course of his life.
By all accounts, it was a year of major life developments. At a traditional Saturday-night dance at the local arena, where boys lined one wall and girls the other wall until someone broke the ice, Doctor TAILOR/TAYLOR picked out a 22-year-old employee of an insurance agency employee named Shirley and asked her to dance. Later that evening, he walked her home and a romance took root.
In the early years, they bonded over her access to technology: She had a typewriter; he had essays to write. By 1949, those key strokes had earned him a degree in geology and a hand in marriage. After a September wedding, they took off for postgraduate studies at McGill University in Montreal. It was a time of renewed poverty. At $90 a month, his government veteran's stipend was hardly enough to sustain them. Shirley got a job, and they postponed having children.
He left McGill with a doctorate (although he loathed being addressed as "Dr. TAILOR/TAYLOR") and landed at job with Cominco in Trail, British Columbia There, the TAYLORs started their family. Daughter Virginia was born in a Cranbrook hospital in January, 1954, and son Mark arrived 11 months later in Ottawa.
By then, Doctor TAILOR/TAYLOR had accepted a job at the Geological Survey of Canada. As an expert in Precambrian rock formations, he was on track to rock stardom. Strong and fit, and with a bent for exploration, it was his job to go to remote regions, take samples and create detailed maps -- often of places where none existed.
Each summer began the same way: In June, his children tearfully waved goodbye and he departed on another dangerous four-month mission in the North. The bush planes were unsophisticated, the bears ran rampant and the weather dictated what he and others in his party would eat that week. (If supplies couldn't get in, it was oatmeal for breakfast, lunch and dinner.) For Doctor TAILOR/TAYLOR, though, it was all a grand adventure -- if sometimes perilous.
One summer, he was stranded in northern Manitoba with four student geologists, forgotten by their pilot. Without a radio to contact the outside world, they were running out of food and living mainly on fish when he made a bold decision. Selecting one of the students, he left the others in camp and canoed south along the shore of Hudson's Bay to Churchill, a 150-kilometre journey that demanded long days of paddling with little to eat.
It was a long and arduous voyage along a hostile coast that could be negotiated only in daylight hours. When evening came, they went ashore and made camp. One night, Doctor TAILOR/TAYLOR woke up with the awful realization that he had forgotten about the tide. The canoe had drifted out and he had to jump in the water and go after it. When finally they reached Churchill, he went ashore in such a fury that he stalked into the airplane company office, found the errant pilot and punched him out.
Over the years, there were few parts of the North that did not feel the sole of Doctor TAILOR/TAYLOR's boots. Some seasons, he and his team covered a different area every day. In the early years, that meant the eastern half of Hill Island Lake and Snowbird Lake in the District of Mackenzie, along with Shethanei Lake in Manitoba. Called reconnaissance missions, the teams would break up and explore grids that had been laid out over a simple map. Each grid square had to be individually detailed, with samples gathered.
"It was exciting to find new formations that no one had ever discovered before," said Doctor Hulbert Lee, who first worked with Dr. TAILOR/TAYLOR in 1953. "These maps have stood the test of time."
Dr. TAILOR/TAYLOR covered about 22 kilometres a day, returning to camp near the end of each long Northern evening with a pack full of rock samples. He'd make dinner out of whatever canned food was available and pack the next day's lunch before settling down in a rough tent to write up his notes and sleep. Eventually, the notes became full-fledged papers that found homes in 65 scholarly publications between 1956 and 1986.
Perhaps his most important work was a five-year mapping of the Torngat Mountains on the Labrador Peninsula. Between 1966 and 1971, Doctor TAILOR/TAYLOR helped run one of the last helicopter reconnaissance missions in Canada. Transported by Bell 47 G2 helicopters, he mapped areas by grid division. Pilots would land as close as possible to a designated grid point, and with the rotor blades still whirling, Doctor TAILOR/TAYLOR would jump out and grab a rock sample, make notes about the area and take a reading of the minerals. He was then flown to the next grid. Every day, he performed as many as 50 such traverses. By the end of 1971, the work had led to the completion of 18 mapping sheets at the 1: 250,000 scale. The maps are still in use today.
"It sounds like boring work… but it was absolutely necessary to cover the country," said Richard Herd, the curator of national collections at the Geological Survey of Canada.
Yet it wasn't all so repetitive. There were encounters with polar bears, the trading of sugar for soapstone rubbings and some of the best salmon fishing in the world. One summer in the Torngat Mountains, Doctor TAILOR/TAYLOR took a fellow geologist to a secret fishing hole. "He pointed out a place and the helicopter pilot flew backwards into the canyon," said Bill Morgan, who worked with Doctor TAILOR/TAYLOR in 1969 and 1972. "No one had ever fished in there. It was just incredible."
Every autumn, Doctor TAILOR/TAYLOR returned to Ottawa fed up with eating canned food. His first order of business would be to eat a fresh tomato out of the back garden. For the rest of the year, he would rewrite his notes and review his findings.
Family life was spent coaching his sons' hockey teams, attending school plays and spending a lot of time with the children.
In 1974, he and his wife divorced after 25 years of marriage. He bought the family home for himself and continued at Geological Survey of Canada until 1989. He never threw anything away, a compulsion that harked back to his days of childhood poverty, but remained an outdoorsman. He stayed fit by playing tennis, and tended a large vegetable garden and some giant white and red-speckled begonias that had been passed down to him from his grandmother's garden. His eyes never came to rest on another polar bear, but he was blessed by a pair of falcons that nested in his backyard.
Fred TAILOR/TAYLOR was born in London, Ontario, on November 11, 1925. He died in Ottawa on July 3, 2007, of a heart attack after suffering complications from a rare blood disorder. He was 81. He is survived by his three children, Virginia, Mark and Craig.

  T... Names     TA... Names     TAY... Names     Welcome Home

TAYLOR - All Categories in OGSPI