All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"NOS" 2007 Obituary


NOSENKIS o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2007-09-01 published
FUCHS, Doctor Helmuth (1929-2007)
It is with great sadness that the family of Helmuth FUCHS announces his passing on August 27, 2007 after a long illness. Helmuth died peacefully in Wiarton, Ontario with his wife Mercedes Chacin de FUCHS at his side. He will be sorely missed by his sons Christian and Mathias, his adopted sons and daughters Mariano CONSENS, Chris PRODANOS, Veronica TRUJILLO and Flavia CONSENS, his grandchildren Marie-Andrea, Sebastien, Alex, Clemmy, Nicole, Micaela, Marina and Nicolas, his sister Gerda (Bauer) and brother Hans Peter and also by his innumerable Friends and colleagues in every corner of the world. Helmuth is predeceased by his parents Margerette (POSS) and Johann and his siter Rose-Marie. Helmuth was born in Vienna, Austria on February 6, 1929. A man of many talents, he became a renowned and distinguished ethnologist, museum professional and educator. In 1956 he received his PhD in Ethnology and Archaeology from the University of Vienna, with a focus on indigenous cultures of Latin America. One year later, in 1957, the President of Austria presented him with that country's most prestigious scholarly award, the Theodor Korner Prize. Soon after, he became Curator of Ethnology in the Museum of Natural Science in Caracus, Venezuela and served as that institution's Chief of the Ethnology and Archaeology Departments from 1962 to 1967. During his last three years in Caracus, he dedicated half of his time to serving as visiting professor at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. In 1967 Helmuth was asked to join the staff of the Royal Ontario Museum as Curator in the Ethnology Department. Here he continued his valuable field research on Indian tribes of northern South America, contributing greatly to the collection of artifacts and publications of the Royal Ontario Museum. From 1975 to 1980 he served as Curator-in-Charge of the Ethnology Department with tremendous energy and dedication. In the period that followed, up to his retirement from the museum in 1994, Helmuth FUCHS acted as a guest professor in some ten universities in Mexico, Peru, Germany, Austria, Canada and U.S.A. He served on important committees, including two terms on the Executive Board of the United Nations (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) International Committee on Ethnology Museums. After his retirement he continued his museum work with Canadian Executive Service Overseas donating his considerable skills, experience and knowledge to various institutions and agencies throughout the world. Helmuth passed his last years at his beloved retreat at Colpoy's Bay. He took great pleasure tending his garden and feeding the birds that found their way to his sanctuary; he found peace in listening to their songs and to the sounds of the water nearby. He loved to behold the fabulous view from his special lookout spot at the kitchen table. And, perhaps most of all, he treasured the time he was able to spend with all of his grandchildren - just as they delighted in their time with him. In addition to his prodigious professional achievements, Helmuth was also a man of rare musical sensitivity and talent; had he not chosen the career that he did, he might well have become an accomplished concert pianist. He always shared his love of music with those around him and entertained and delighted us all with his magnificent performances and shared with us his collection of musical instruments and music from all over the world. The family wishes to express special thanks to Doctor Jean MARMOREO and Doctor Maia NOSENKIS and to the staff of the Wiarton Hospital, as well as the staff at CarePartners and Community Care Access Centre. The family also expresses their special gratitude to Doctor Eric BARKER who attended Helmuth with utmost compassion and dedication not only during the last eight months but during the last moments of his life. We owe you all a debt of gratitude for the care and comfort you gave to him. In accordance with Helmuth's wishes, cremation has taken place. There will be no funeral home visitation or service. There will be a memorial gathering at a later date. Arrangements entrusted to the George Funeral Home, Wiarton, Ontario. Donations made to the Wiarton Hospital or the Heart and Stroke Foundation would be appreciated by the family as expressions of sympathy. Condolences may be sent to the family at or

  N... Names     NO... Names     NOS... Names     Welcome Home

NOSENKIS - All Categories in OGSPI

NOSS o@ca.on.manitoulin.howland.little_current.manitoulin_expositor 2007-01-31 published
Arden Frederick PIDGEN
In Loving Memory of Arden Frederick PIDGEN who died peacefully at his home on Monday, January 22, 2007 at the age of 81.
A WW2 Veteran, Lance Corporal ARDEN was in the second wave in Normandy. Arden worked for 40 years at Robin Hood Flour Mill, in Port Colborne. He started the dart and horseshoe leagues, was an avid bowler and was a member of the Royal Canadian Legion in Port Colborne. He joined the Gore Bay Legion upon retiring in Silver Water. Born to Sophrona (née HARPER) and Harry PIDGEN on May 22, 1925 in Providence Bay. Cherished husband of 60 years to Vivian (née LOVELACE.) Loved father of Clayton and wife Linda of Welland, Ken and wife Lori of Saint Catharines, Ron and wife Barbara of Orillia, Lloyd and wife Kathi of Anaheim, California, Doug and wife Sue of Port Colborne, Arlene and husband Alan McCAULEY of Welland. Special grandfather of Jennifer (husband Jason D'ANNA), James (wife Nancy), Jason, Jeffery, Amanda, Laura, Sarah, Valerie (husband Remington NOSS), Lisa, Erik, Ellen, Vivian Erika (predeceased), Hailey, Caitlyn and great grandfather of Cameron and Logan. Visitation was from 2 - 4 and 7 - 9 pm, Thursday. Funeral Service was at 11 am, Friday, January 26, 2007 at Island Funeral Home. Burial in the spring in Silver Lake Cemetery.

  N... Names     NO... Names     NOS... Names     Welcome Home

NOSS - All Categories in OGSPI

NOSTRAND o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2007-09-12 published
Headstrong Chief Executive Officer saved Churchill Falls and rescued the Bank of Montreal
An emergency boss who took over after a plane crash wiped out everyone else, he brought the power project in on time before moving to a troubled Bank of Montreal, where he ruthlessly cleaned house
By Gordon PITTS, Page S8
Besides banking and family, William MULHOLLAND's grand passion was raising Hanoverian riding horses, which, according to one of his nine children, are "headstrong, able and smart." Those adjectives can just as easily be applied to her demanding father, said Caroline VAN NOSTRAND.
Those traits helped propel Mr. MULHOLLAND, a U.S.-born outsider, into one of Canada's most exciting and controversial management careers. He was the emergency boss who came in to save the massive Churchill Falls power project in Labrador. Then he turned around the Bank of Montreal, Canada's oldest bank, and as a financial-services innovator helped change the country's banking industry.
As an agent of change at the lacklustre Bank of Montreal, he fired executives who didn't measure up, winning a reputation as a tough, uncompromising boss. He tightened credit policies, led technological innovation and bought a Chicago bank in a far-sighted move that anticipated a North American market. He helped lead the Canadian commercial banks' march into investment banking with the purchase of brokerage Nesbitt Thomson.
Like many turnaround managers, he was accused of staying too long as Chief Executive Officer and losing touch with a rapidly evolving industry. Yet he reached down into the ranks to develop a new generation of Bank of Montreal leaders that included future Chief Executive Officers Matthew Barrett and Anthony Comper.
He was a complicated man who was seen as remote, autocratic, introverted and eccentric, but he was regarded as brilliant for some of his strategic moves. He could become deeply absorbed in detail and alarmingly inattentive to people's feelings. In describing him, Friends often fall back on that old cliché: "He did not suffer fools gladly."
"My father was not always easy," said Ms. VAN NOSTRAND, who lives in Toronto. "He had exacting standards and he upheld them for himself and expected others to do their best to get that same quality.
"But you can't mistake that for a lack of true caring and love and a huge commitment to family."
Still, for all his high standards and strategic thinking, Mr. MULHOLLAND's own career was almost haphazard, the product of tragic circumstances, timing and managerial agility.
He was born in Albany, New York the son of a civil servant who became New York's director of parks. Even at birth, he had a Canadian connection - his maternal great-grandmother was a French-Canadian from Trois-Rivières. He attended Christian Brothers Academy, a Catholic military school in Albany, where he became an expert rider, marksman, and fly fisherman -- interests he pursued throughout his life.
He graduated from high school, joined the U.S. Army during the Second World War and trained as a weapons instructor before being posted to the Philippines. After discharge, he entered Harvard College, got his B.A., then earned an M.B.A. from Harvard Business School, while working in the summers as a park ranger.
He then parlayed a social connection with the financier Morgan family to join the investment banking house Morgan Stanley and pursue a career on Wall Street.
He married the daughter of a family friend, Nancy BOOTH, on June 22, 1957. Their rearing of nine children (four daughters and five sons) has been attributed by his wife to the consequences of a union between an Irish Catholic and a Free Methodist.
Mr. MULHOLLAND thrived in investment banking. One of his clients was Brinco, a Montreal firm of British-Canadian origins that was building the $1-billion Churchill Falls hydro project. He placed a $500-million bond issue for the company - at that time, a record sale of securities by a corporation.
But on November 11, 1969, Brinco's executive jet crashed, killing six members of its senior team, including the president and finance vice-president. The company was leaderless at a critical juncture in the Churchill Falls project. Mr. MULHOLLAND "was the last man standing who knew what it was all about," said Richard O'HAGAN, who was later his public-affairs specialist at Bank of Montreal.
In January, 1970, at the age of 43, he moved to Montreal to become Brinco's president and Chief Executive Officer. He also joined the board of the Bank of Montreal, which was the principal commercial banker for the Churchill Falls project. He brought the project in five months ahead of schedule and under budget.
Ron SOUTHERN, the Calgary-based head of Atco Ltd., was supplying Brinco with housing for its Churchill Falls work force. He was also negotiating to build housing factories in the Soviet Union and invited Soviet president Alexsei Kosygin to tour his facilities in Montreal. Mr. MULHOLLAND agreed to provide testimonials for the Atco products, and impressed Mr. SOUTHERN with his ability to hold his own in intense geopolitical discussions.
It was the beginning of a Friendship that was cemented in the mid-1970s, when Mr. SOUTHERN opened his Spruce Meadows equestrian centre near Calgary. Mr. MULHOLLAND attended the first major equestrian event, impressing Mr. SOUTHERN with his own riding skills. Each year, he would take a long country ride on the morning of the big event.
With Churchill Falls complete, Mr. MULHOLLAND was recruited to become the Bank of Montreal's president in 1975. He found another organization in crisis mode. "It took him about a year to get a grip on the bank, but he was a bulldog and he got it done," Mr. SOUTHERN said.
The new banker became immersed in Bank of Montreal's liquidity problems and cost-control challenges, as well as its struggles to move from manual systems to the computer age. After the incumbent Chief Executive Officer retired, he took the top job in January, 1979, adding the chairman's role 2½ years later.
He was involved in hiring Mr. O'HAGAN, who had served in the Prime Minister's Office under another eccentric legend, Pierre Trudeau. Mr. O'HAGAN recalled how his job interview with Mr. MULHOLLAND stretched to more than two hours, until he finally telephoned his next interview party to beg forbearance. Mr. O'HAGAN was fascinated by this brilliant, obsessive man and joined the Bank of Montreal team.
That extended interview was a harbinger of the MULHOLLAND style. He was notorious for unpredictably long meetings, forcing managers to queue up for hours, awaiting audiences that lasted long into the evening.
He was determined to weed out the perceived dead wood that had allowed the bank's problems to build. In his zeal to cleanse the ranks, he was accused of creating a demographic crisis in the bank. One unidentified manager told Report on Business magazine in 1989 that "an entire generation of management has been cremated."
"Those judgments were not made whimsically - they were made on the basis of performance," insisted Grant REUBER, the bank's president during the MULHOLLAND era. "I don't think he relished letting people go, but if they hadn't measured up and they hadn't recovered, they probably didn't survive."
Jeff CHISHOLM, a retired Bank of Montreal executive, said he never saw this side of his former boss - Mr. MULHOLLAND simply demanded honest answers from his managers. He said his positive traits never came to light because the Chief Executive Officer did not really care what critics thought of him.
Mr. MULHOLLAND also pulled off a deal that transformed the bank: the 1984 purchase of Harris Bank, a U.S. Midwest regional powerhouse based in Chicago. Some critics have contended that once the deal was done, the bank didn't really capitalize on its new U.S. platform - but at minimum, Mr. MULHOLLAND created the potential platform.
"He had a vision about what was going to happen to the North American economy and to financial services within North America," said Mr. Chisholm, a former Harris Bank executive who joined Bank of Montreal.
Later, Mr. MULHOLLAND moved quickly on the deregulation of Canada's financial industry by acquiring Nesbitt Thomson, the foundation of today's Bank of Montreal Nesbitt Burns Inc., the bank's investment subsidiary.
Whether he stayed too long is much debated; it's a common problem with strong leaders in politics and business. But Mr. MULHOLLAND's saving grace was to leave the bank in good hands.
Mr. Barrett, his successor, was a charming people person who provided a sharp contrast with his more aloof predecessor. Mr. MULHOLLAND "knew he was not Mr. Popularity with everybody," Mr. O'HAGAN said. "He recognized there would be a contrast and that Barrett's personal style would register differently. I think that was part of the reason he chose him."
Mr. Barrett, now retired from banking, said in an e-mail message that "Bank of Montreal shareholders and employees owe a debt of gratitude to Bill for stepping into the bank at a difficult time in its history. Those that succeeded him benefited greatly from his legacy.
"He once joked that he built the Stradivarius that others played beautifully. I certainly agree with that."
After he retired in 1990, Mr. MULHOLLAND had time to focus on family, horses and his beloved Windswept Farm near Georgetown, west of Toronto. He worked to develop the Hanoverian breed in Canada.
But in recent years, Parkinson's disease took its toll. At the MULHOLLANDs' 50th wedding anniversary party in early July, Friends felt he almost willed himself to attend. It wasn't long afterward that he was admitted to hospital.
William MULHOLLAND was born in Albany, New York on June 16, 1926. He died of complications from Parkinson's disease and other medical problems at his home near Georgetown, Ontario, on September 8, 2007. He was 81. He is survived by his wife Nancy, nine children and 11 grandchildren.

  N... Names     NO... Names     NOS... Names     Welcome Home

NOSTRAND - All Categories in OGSPI