All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"RID" 2003 Obituary


RIDDELL o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-11-04 published
HEFFERON, Margaret Jane
Died suddenly on Monday, November 3, 2003 in her 72nd year, at St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto, Ontario. Survived by her husband Dennis, sons Michael (wife Kathleen) and Thomas (wife Patricia), her daughter Kathleen (husband Jed LIPPERT) and her 2 loving grandchildren Colin and Rory. She is also survived by 3 sisters, Maureen (husband Ted LORIMER,) Patricia (husband Robert RIDDELL) and Linda (husband Mario MASTROMARTINO) and 2 brothers, Jim KERNAGHAN (wife Carol) and John KERNAGHAN (wife Michelle.) Her life was devoted to the care of people in her career as a nurse (Toronto East General Hospital) and as a public health nurse (Durham Region). Since her retirement she helped found the Caring Alliance to help the homeless and was a dedicated visitor to and supporter of housing for disadvantaged families living in motels. She will be sorely missed by her family, her Friends and the many whose lives she touched. Visitation will be held at the ''Scarborough Chapel'' of McDougall and Brown, 2900 Kingston Road (east of St. Clair Avenue East), on Wednesday, November 5th from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Funeral service will be held on Thursday, November 6th at 11 a.m. from Washington United Church. Interment will be private. As expressions of sympathy, donations made to St. Michael's Hospital Foundation would be appreciated.

  R... Names     RI... Names     RID... Names     Welcome Home

RIDDELL - All Categories in OGSPI

RIDDLE o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-10-13 published
Weekend plane crashes kill four
Canadian Press, Monday, October 13, 2003 - Page A7
Airplane crashes claimed four lives in Quebec and Ontario over the weekend, including two people killed yesterday after an ultralight plane crashed in fog.
The ultralight-crash victims, a man and a woman, were taken to hospital with serious injuries after the aircraft plunged into a field yesterday morning in St-Felix-De-Valois, a town 60 kilometres northeast of Montreal, Quebec provincial police said. The victims died later in the day.
"There was thick fog," police spokeswoman Manon GAIGNARD said. "A witness heard a noise around 10 a.m. but couldn't tell where the noise came from because of the fog."
The witness called police later in the morning after she saw the aircraft's wing poking through the fog, Ms. GAIGNARD said. The victims' identities were not released.
Investigators will try to discover whether the fog contributed to the crash, Ms. GAIGNARD said.
Nearly 23,000 Hydro-Quebec customers lost power on Saturday after a single-engine Cessna aircraft crashed into a power line in Repentigny, east of Montreal.
The passenger suffered broken arms and legs when the aircraft plunged into a ditch next to a highway. The pilot was slightly injured. The aircraft, on a night training flight, reported a loss of power before it lost altitude in smog. As of Sunday afternoon, service had not been restored to about 6,800 Hydro-Quebec customers.
In Ontario, Gerard RIDDLE, 66, and his wife, Patricia, 61, of Brantford, Ontario, died Saturday after crashing shortly after taking off in a single-engine Piper Comanche from a small airport near the town of Delhi.
About 10 minutes after takeoff, the plane was returning to the airport, flying low. It made a turn but crashed into a field short of the runway. The two were the only ones in the plane.
Ontario Provincial Police and an official from the Transportation Safety Board investigated the crash.
"The aircraft has been examined and we do have the data that we need," said Transportation Safety Board spokesman John COTTREAU on Saturday. He said it is too early to know whether a more detailed investigation is necessary.
On Thursday, two small airplanes crashed in Toronto. All on board each aircraft were relatively unscathed. The engine of a Piper Cherokee 140 sputtered as the pilot flew toward Toronto's City Centre airport, but the pilot brought the craft down onto the water. Two hours later, on the city's northern limits, a Cessna 172 crashed shortly after taking off from Buttonvile Airport.

  R... Names     RI... Names     RID... Names     Welcome Home

RIDDLE - All Categories in OGSPI

RIDEAU o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-01-10 published
Civil servant moonlighted as a master of municipal politics
From global matters to local logjams, he excelled at finding common ground
By Randy RAY Special to The Globe and Mail Friday, January 10, 2003, Page R11
David BARTLETT wasn't comfortable in front of a stove, and couldn't carry a tune or run a hockey practice. But he excelled at most other pursuits, whether he was drafting memos to cabinet ministers, mediating disputes between neighbours at township council, or square dancing at a local community centre.
Of local politics, he once told his wife, Betty, "I can't coach sports teams, bake cakes or sing in a choir, but I can do this."
Mr. BARTLETT, a career civil servant in the federal government and also a long-serving municipal politician, died of cancer at his home in Manotick, Ontario, on November 8, aged 76.
During a career that began in Ottawa in 1948, the Toronto native was secretary-general at the Canadian Commission for the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, which advises the government on its relations with the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, and coordinates its activities in Canada.
He was also secretary of the Canada Council for the Arts, the arm's-length funding agency, and was acting commercial secretary in the office of the High Commissioner for Canada in Pakistan.
He was active in municipal politics for two decades, including eights years as a member of the board of trustees of the Police Village of Manotick, and six years as mayor of Rideau Township, both south of Ottawa. During and after his mayoralty, Mr. BARTLETT was easy to locate in the community: His licence plates read "RIDEAU."
"One of the most striking things about David was that he could turn his hand to almost anything and do it well," said close friend Douglas SMALL.
Friends, family and colleagues said another of Mr. BARTLETT's strong suits was an ability to understand complicated issues and then come up with solutions satisfactory to all sides.
Bill TUPPER, a former Ottawa-area Member of Parliament and also a past mayor of Rideau Township, remembers how Mr. BARTLETT once settled a dispute between two farm families over drainage.
"The issue was who would keep the drain clear. Both parties were almost foaming with venom but David, who was mayor at the time, listened to both sides and said, 'I think I see a solution and with a little luck, it might work.' He told them his plan and the farmers looked at one another and asked, 'Is it that simple?'
"They shook hands on the way out of the meeting."
Mr. BARTLETT graduated from the University of Toronto with a degree in political science and economics. He worked with the federal Civil Service Commission for two years before winning a scholarship at the London School of Economics, where he earned a master's degree. He married Betty PEARCE in 1950.
Prior to working with the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization and the Canada Council, he was chief of the Technical Co-operation Service, Colombo Plan Administration, in Canada, precursor to the Canadian International Development Agency; and he was executive officer to the federal deputy minister of Northern Affairs and National Resources. He retired in 1986 after seven years as assistant director and secretary at the Canada Council, but continued to do contract work.
His government jobs were administrative in nature, says Mrs. BARTLETT, "but not in a routine sense. He had a variety of interesting projects," including the task of helping Governor-General Georges VANIER and his wife, Pauline, tour northern Canada.
In the early 1990s, he conceived a plan to rescue the World University Service of Canada from receivership. At the time, he was interim executive director of the organization, which is a network of individuals and institutions that foster human development and global understanding through education and training. From 1991 to 1998, he sat on World University Service of Canada's board of directors.
Mr. BARTLETT entered municipal politics in 1965 while still working for the government, which meant he often came home from work after 6 p.m., grabbed a bite to eat, and was off to a meeting that could last until after midnight. He bowed out of politics in 1985 after losing an election.
"His motivation was that he loved the work," said Mrs. BARTLETT. "He never fretted about things, there was never any tossing and turning at night. He had this talent for dealing with all things in a balanced way and coming up with a fair solution."
Mr. BARTLETT also contributed his time to a local Scout troop, and the Royal Canadian Geographical Society, and wrote columns for a local newspaper. After retiring, he was appointed to a number of task forces that studied taxi services at Pearson International Airport in Toronto, the ward boundaries in Ottawa and the workings of regional governments.
In retirement, he and his wife spent part of each year on Grand Manan Island, New Brunswick. Mr. BARTLETT leaves his wife, Betty, and sons Michael and Peter.

  R... Names     RI... Names     RID... Names     Welcome Home

RIDEAU - All Categories in OGSPI

RIDER o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-03-12 published
A trailblazer in women's hockey
As a coach, he saw people first, athletes second and so took Canadian women's hockey to the pinnacle of the sport
By Ron CSILLAG Special to The Globe and Mail Wednesday, March 12, 2003 - Page R7
Toronto -- Think "hockey coach, " and you may be forgiven for conjuring images of a bug-eyed, borderline rage-oholic working a small wad of gum while berating his bench and screaming instructions to the ice.
That wasn't Dave McMASTER.
A fixture in Canadian women's hockey for 35 years, Mr. McMASTER was the polar opposite: A calm and calming influence who taught his players respect for their abilities and those of their opponents who saw people first and athletes second; who radiated a sheer love of the game; who hugged his players and meant it.
A trailblazer who boosted woman's hockey in this country before it was popular, or even seemly, Mr. McMASTER guided the Canadian women's team to a gold medal at the first women's world hockey championship in 1990 in Ottawa. Over one-million television viewers watched as Canada beat the U.S. 5-2 in the final. He also coached Team Canada at the first unofficial women's world tournament in 1987.
Through 22 seasons coaching the University of Toronto's Varsity (Lady) Blues, Mr. McMASTER won 12 Ontario university titles and compiled a record of 212-38-22.
"Everywhere there was hockey, Dave was there, said Fran RIDER, executive director of the Ontario Women's Hockey Association. "He was the lifeblood of women's hockey, very dedicated, not only to the game but to life skills. He cared about every player on every team. His enthusiasm and love of the game was catching."
At the time of his unexpected death of a heart attack this month in Toronto at the age of 62, he was still coaching three girls' teams, despite being officially retired as a schoolteacher and coach. One of them, the squad at Bishop Strachan School, had to leave for a tournament in Newfoundland just days after Mr. McMASTER died. Their coach's influence obviously sunk in: Despite being distraught at the news of his death, which sent shock waves through the world of women's hockey, the team won all seven of its games. That was after Bishop Strachan captured the Foster Hewitt Memorial Cup for the fifth consecutive year at the Air Canada Centre just three weeks before Mr. McMASTER's death.
"He gave players a sense of responsibility for their actions. He taught us to respect ourselves and others, but most important, he let us have fun, recalled Team Canada head coach Karen HUGHES, who also took over from Mr. McMASTER as coach at U of T, where she had played for him. "With Dave, it wasn't about winning and losing, but a love of the game and sharing and Friends. He encouraged players to go beyond their limits."
Some 800 Friends, loved ones and jersey-clad players crowded Grace Church-on-the-Hill in Toronto on Valentine's Day to celebrate a life that touched so many others.
David Carson McMASTER was born in Toronto to a homemaker and a lawyer who wanted a legal career for his son. At St. Andrew's College, the young Mr. McMASTER played football, cricket and hockey, and later, at Dalhousie University, "he was a born goaltender, remembered his lifelong best friend, Douglas ROWAN. " Mix, as he came to be called (as in Mixmaster), was not known as a particularly graceful player, as his many stitches and at least seven broken noses attested. He was an early proponent of face masks for goalies and after donning one, he ducked out of the way of a puck, only to be hit in the head. More stitches followed.
It was at Dalhousie that he coached his first women's team, in 1965. "He acquired a girlfriend he could yell at on the ice, Mr. ROWAN quipped. "It didn't last." But the coaching bug did.
Armed with a history degree, Mr. McMASTER returned to Toronto to study law. That lasted less than a year, and he graduated from the University of Toronto's teachers' college instead. He joined the small staff of Toronto's Royal St. George's College in 1969 and spent nearly 30 years teaching geography, history and guidance.
Mr. McMASTER began coaching the women's hockey team at University of Toronto while still a student there. In 22 seasons (1967-69 and 1975-93), he won an enviable 82 per cent of games. There, as with Team Canada, he would don his trademark track suit and black bike helmet to preside over practices, with cries of "Regroup!" "Shoot your passes!" and "Two laps." Coughing up the puck in the neutral zone was "a never."
In 1972, he married Norma McCLURE, who'd been his waitress at the Muskoka Golf and Country Club. The couple had a son, Scott, and a daughter, Anne, before divorcing in 1991. Mr. McMASTER never remarried.
He was a focused, demanding coach, but not obsessive, said his daughter. "I don't even have any idea how to skate. But Dad never pushed me. That was testament to his patience and love. He never raised his voice." At Toronto Maple Leaf games, "he was always coaching. He would cheer a good play by the other team."
He displayed his gold medal, said Anne, but not as prominently as a letter from a young girl saying Mr. McMASTER had changed her perspective on life.
He wasn't without a mischievous sense of humour. Vicki SUNOHARA, who played for Mr. McMASTER for two years, recalled how Team Canada once thrashed Japan 13-0. Ms. SUNOHARA, who is of Japanese extraction, scored several goals and was named player of the game. She recalled how Mr. McMASTER told her after the game, in mock horror, "These Japanese girls love you and look up to you. How could you do this to them?"
Mr. McMASTER went on to Bishop Strachan School in 1998 to coach hockey and teach geography and history. He was inducted into the University of Toronto's Sports Hall of Fame in 2000. He retired in 2001, but couldn't stop a simple desire to expose young people to Canada's game.
Asked whether it was the passion, cleaner play or some other mysterious quality that drew Mr. McMASTER to women's hockey as opposed to men's, his daughter smiled. "He used to say girls asked a lot more questions. I think he liked that."

  R... Names     RI... Names     RID... Names     Welcome Home

RIDER - All Categories in OGSPI

RIDLEY o@ca.on.manitoulin.howland.little_current.manitoulin_expositor 2003-04-30 published
-In loving memory of a dear husband, father and grandfather, Don, who passed away May 1, 1997.
However long our lives may last,
Whatever lands we view,
Whatever joy or grief be ours
We will always think of you.
-Sadly missed by Jean, Kathy and Kim.

  R... Names     RI... Names     RID... Names     Welcome Home

RIDLEY - All Categories in OGSPI