All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"REY" 2003 Obituary


REYNOLDS o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-04-05 published
CLARK, Reginald Harold, 1928-2003,
B.Sc., PhD (Imperial College, London),
Professor Emeritus, Queen's University
Died peacefully at Providence Manor, Kingston on Tuesday, April 2, after a long illness. Survived by his wife, Oris, children, Natalie (Mark) REYNOLDS of Adelaide Australia, Adrian, Stefanie (Petrus BOOTS) and grandchildren Aidan, Evan, Liam REYNOLDS and Samsara BOOTS. Also survived by brother Norman (Gwen,) London England and brother-in-law John WATSYK, Thunder Bay.
Dr. CLARK came to Canada in 1955 and joined Queen's University in the department of Chemical Engineering, serving as head of Department from 1961-1970, and continuing until his retirement in 1992. He was the President of the Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering, 1967-1968.
Cremation has taken place. There will be a memorial service at Robert J. Reid and Sons Funeral Home, 309 Johnson Street (at Barrie St.), Kingston, on Monday, April 7 at 7: 00 p.m. The family will receive Friends prior to the service from 6: 30 p.m. In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made to Providence Continuing Care Centre Providence Manor Site or Partners in Mission Food Bank.
Online Guest Book 613-548-7973

  R... Names     RE... Names     REY... Names     Welcome Home

REYNOLDS o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-06-19 published
By Anne MILLERD Thursday, June 19, 2003- page A18
Chartered accountant, husband, father and grandfather. Born March 10, 1922, in Edmonton. Died Feb.16, 2003, in North Vancouver, of cancer, aged 80.
John FERGUSON's father, a charming but hard-drinking Scot, left his wife and son when John was five, after which he and his mother shared a home with grandparents, aunt, uncle and cousins. A clever boy who was keen on sports, John was known in the grocery stores as the lad who knew the total of the bill before it was rung in. John's maternal grandfather, an inventor and machinist, became an important mentor to the boy. John never forgot his grandfather's kindness nor his father's desertion.
Following high school, John's apprenticeship to an accounting firm in Edmonton was interrupted by the onset of war. He served with the Air Force in Egypt, where he met red-headed Sandy (Flora Jean) REYNOLDS from liverpool. John and Sandy married at the end of the war, and John brought his bride home to Edmonton, where he resumed his apprenticeship. John spoke of the war years as the best years of his life.
John and Sandy had two children, Jean and Ian. John worked days and studied nights. Money was scarce, and Sandy's health suffered in the severe prairie winters. In 1950, when John qualified as a chartered accountant in Alberta, he moved his family to Vancouver, qualifying with the British Columbia Institute of Chartered Accountants in February, 1951.
John worked for Gulf of Georgia Towing from 1951 to 1977, and was an active member of the British Columbia Institute of Chartered Accountants, particularly in matters relating to professional ethics and discipline. In 1970, John was made a Fellow of the Institute, the highest honour it is able to confer on members.
John worked six days a week and most evenings. The family progressed from a motel in Burnaby, British Columbia, to a home in West Vancouver and a family membership to the Capilano Winter Club. While his children learned to skate, he served on the board and helped build sets for winter carnivals. Typically a stern and uncompromising father, John loved to take his children by surprise on Christmas Eve, coming home with extravagant gifts for everyone.
In 1977, Gulf of Georgia Towing was bought out and John retired. He built rock walls, travelled with Sandy, golfed and kept up his committee work at the Institute. John and Sandy enjoyed their two young granddaughters. Sandy's health failed, and when she died of cancer in 1984, John said, "There are people who just say they're sorry, and there are people who leave muffins on your doorstep or ask you to lunch. I found out who my Friends were."
In 1985, John married Babs MILLERD (née Dorothea STEWARD/STEWART/STUART,) also widowed. Attached to a large and comparatively chaotic clan, John made himself useful. He administered an educational trust fund for the 21 MILLERD grandchildren, and dispatched advice on financial matters. He took particular interest in a business started by Babs's youngest son and his wife, teaching them bookkeeping and coaching them in proper business practice, advising "Always remember the receiver general is a partner in your business."
In the last years of his life, John gave up curling, but continued to golf. He devoted himself to the care of Babs, as she became less able to care for herself. John became ill in the last few months of his life, but remained lucid, loquacious, and fond of maxims to the end. "Always do your best," he would say, as well as, "Nothing else is good enough."
John FERGUSON is survived and missed by his wife Babs, son Ian FERGUSON, daughter Jean ELLIS, grandchildren Ursula, Jessica and Julian, great-grandchildren Sam and Tyler, and by all the MILLERD clan.
Anne MILLERD is a step-daughter-in-law of the late John FERGUSON.

  R... Names     RE... Names     REY... Names     Welcome Home

REYNOLDS - All Categories in OGSPI