All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"NIS" 2003 Obituary


NISBET o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-03-08 published
NISBET, Audrey Kathleen 'Ann'
Died Thursday, March 6, 2003 at Credit Valley Hospital, in her 72nd year. Cherished wife of Wallace NISBET. Beloved mother of John (and Heather) of Nepean, Andrew (and Lili) of Edmonton and Fiona of Oakville. Adored grandmother of Sarah, Olivia and Roman. Dear sister of John and Cathy CORBIDGE of London, England. Visitation at the Kopriva Taylor Community Funeral Home, 64 Lakeshore Road West, Oakville on Monday, March 10, 2003 from 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. Funeral Service to take place at Knox Presbyterian Church, 89 Dunn Street, Oakville on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 at 11 a.m. Cremation. Thanks to the doctors, nurses, staff and volunteers at the Credit Valley Hospital. For those who wish, memorial contributions to the Canadian Red Cross would be appreciated.
'Ann's kindness and courage will be greatly missed by all who knew her.'

  N... Names     NI... Names     NIS... Names     Welcome Home

NISBET o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-11-04 published
DODDS, Christine Mary (née NISBET)
Died on Sunday, November 2nd, 2003 at the age of 67, after a brief illness. Beloved wife of Donald DODDS and sister of John and Wallace NISBET, after a life lived with determination and verve. She was a constant promoter of good will and concern for others. She will be sadly missed by her niece Fiona and her nephews Robert, Alec, John, Andrew and their wives and children. Christine will also be missed by her neighbours and many Friends, including those from her years working for the City of Toronto, earlier for the Township of Etobicoke and from her long association with Kingsway-Lambton United Church. Friends may call at the Turner & Porter Yorke Chapel, 2357 Bloor Street West, Toronto at Windemere east of the Jane subway on Thursday from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. A Service of Remembrance will be held on Friday, November 7, 2003 at 2 p.m. at Kingsway-Lambton United Church, 85 The Kingsway, Toronto. For those who wish, donations made to Christine's favorite charity, Doctors Without Borders, 402-720 Spadina Ave., Toronto, M5S 2T9 would be appreciated.

  N... Names     NI... Names     NIS... Names     Welcome Home

NISBET - All Categories in OGSPI

NISHIHARA o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-12-12 published
A sleeping tiger of baseball
Founded in 1914, the Asahi team made history. This year, largely because of the efforts of its catcher, the team made the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame
By Tom HAWTHORN, Special to The Globe and Mail Friday, December 12, 2003 - Page R17
Victoria -- Ken KUTSUKAKE was a catcher for the storied Asahi baseball team of Vancouver, which disbanded when its Japanese-Canadian players were interned during the Second World War.
Mr. KUTSUKAKE, who has died in Toronto, aged 92, helped keep the team's memory alive over the years. He organized an Asahi reunion at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre in Don Mills, Ontario, in 1972, ending, if only temporarily, a diaspora of the diamond that had seen players sent to work camps, ghost towns, sugar-beet farms, and, in a handful of cases, Japan.
Earlier this year, the amateur club was inducted into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame in Saint Marys, Ontario Mr. KUTSUKAKE attended the ceremonies in June, even taking part in a golf tournament.
The Asahi roster shortens with each passing season. Mr. KUTSUKAKE is the third player to die since the induction. He was predeceased by outfielder Bob HIGUCHI, 95, of Pickering, Ontario, and pitcher George YOSHINAKA, 81, of Lethbridge, Alberta. The Asahi are disappearing like runners left stranded at the end of an inning. Only six players and a team official are believed to still be alive, the lone survivors as the club approaches the 90th anniversary of its founding in 1914.
The Asahi drew their players from the Little Tokyo neighbourhood surrounding their home field at the Powell Street Grounds (today's Oppenheimer Park) in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. The Asahi were physically slight compared to their opponents, among whom were beefy longshoremen, so they depended on slick fielding, larcenous base running and hitting so precise that it was said they could bunt with a chopstick. They were nimble Davids competing against slugging Goliaths.
The team (asa for morning, hi for sun) sometimes won games in which they failed to record a hit. Their style of play, which came to be called Brain Ball, earned them a following among discerning Caucasian fans. In Little Tokyo, they were gods in woolen flannels.
"We were the toast of the town," Mr. KUTSUKAKE told me earlier this year. "To be an Asahi ballplayer meant lots to a lot of people."
It all ended so quickly. When Pearl Harbor was bombed, it was heard around the world. In British Columbia, all people of Japanese ancestry were ordered removed from the coast as enemy aliens. A neighbourhood team lost its neighbourhood and the Asahi never played again.
Kenneth Hisao KUTSUKAKE was born in Vancouver on May 25, 1911. The Asahi had deep roots in the community and he joined the club's youth team when he was 12 as a Clover (Go-gun). Blessed with a strong throwing arm even at that young age, he was taught to play the sport's toughest position. The neighbourhood boys gave him the sing-song nickname, "Catcha-Catcha- KUTSUKAKE."
He moved up the Asahi ranks over the years. From 9-to-5, Mr. KUTSUKAKE worked for a company making boxes. After work and on weekends and holidays, he could be found on the baseball diamond. Finally, in 1938, Mr. KUTSUKAKE became the starting catcher for the parent club.
Adept at blocking wild pitches, he was known for his throwing arm, a disincentive for rivals eager to mimic the Asahi on the base paths.
On September 18, 1941, he went 0-for-2 before being pulled for a pinch-hitter in his team's final at-bat in a 3-1 loss to a club sponsored by The Angelus, a hotel. It would be the Asahi's final game.
A few months later, his home was seized, as was his family's Powell Street rooming house.
In 1942, Mr. KUTSUKAKE was ordered by Canadian authorities to leave his birthplace for the crimes of his ancestry. On that terrible winter day, when he had to reduce 31 years of life to a single suitcase, Mr. KUTSUKAKE packed for an unknown life in a relocation camp. Alongside family photos, he placed his cleats, shin guards, catcher's mask, chest protector and his Asahi uniform.
For Mr. KUTSUKAKE, the equipment was a daily reminder that while authorities could seize his home, deny him his job, and compromise his freedom, no one could stop him from playing baseball.
He was sent to Kaslo on Kootenay Lake in the British Columbia Interior, where he was joined by Asahi pitcher Nag NISHIHARA. One of their first acts in the camp was to form a baseball team, an action that was also occurring in other ghost towns and internment camps.
(Mr. KUTSUKAKE's father, Tsugio, had complained when he was ordered to leave behind his wife and daughters. The senior Mr. KUTSUKAKE was instead sent to a prisoner-of-war camp in Angler, Ontario, where inmates wore dark uniforms with large circles on the back, a bull's-eye target for sharpshooters should any try to escape.) On Dominion Day, 1943, four teams of interned players met in a one-day showdown in Slocan City, British Columbia Lemon Creek beat New Denver 13-2 for the championship, while Slocan and Kaslo, featuring a battery of Mr. KUTSUKAKE and Mr. NISHIHARA, were eliminated earlier in the day. More than 500 spectators watched the tournament.
"Ahhh," said Mr. KUTSUKAKE, still sore about a loss 60 years earlier, "Lemon Creek had the most Asahi players. They should have won."
After the war ended, those of Japanese ancestry were forbidden from returning to the coast. Mr. KUTSUKAKE wound up in Montreal, where he played for the semi-professional Atwater team in 1947.
He moved to Toronto the following year, where he could be found behind the plate at Christie Pits. He also had great success as a coach and manager, winning a West Toronto minor championship with the Westerns midget team in 1950. He later won a city championship with the Bestway Nisei, a team comprised of the Canadian-born sons of Japanese immigrants.
In 1956, he managed Honest Ed's Nisei, a mixed-race team, to a senior city championship. A delighted Ed MIRVISH feted the players with a lavish banquet and presented each with a commemorative wrist watch.
Mr. KUTSUKAKE worked for many years at Iwata Travel in Toronto. Until recently, he volunteered at a seniors home, providing prepared Japanese lunches for residents.
Mr. KUTSUKAKE rejoiced in the belated recognition afforded his old team. He threw out a ceremonial opening pitch at a Toronto Blue Jays game at SkyDome in May, 2002, and was deeply touched by induction into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame.
"Naturally, I'm honoured," he said. "It was a big surprise. I never expected such recognition."
Mr. KUTSUKAKE also appears in the recent National Film Board documentary Sleeping Tigers, which recounts the history of the Asahi team and its players. The photographs he saved during the evacuation have been displayed at the Royal Ontario Museum and included in Pat Adachi's 1992 book, Asahi: A Legend in Baseball.
Mr. KUTSUKAKE died in his sleep on November 22 at Toronto Grace Hospital, where he was attending his second wife, Rose, who has been diagnosed with a brain tumour. His wife of 50 years survives him, as do sisters Satoko and Eiko, both of Toronto. He was predeceased by brothers Sekio and Ray, an Asahi pitcher. A first marriage ended in divorce.

  N... Names     NI... Names     NIS... Names     Welcome Home

NISHIHARA - All Categories in OGSPI

NISHIHATA o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-04-23 published
Rolf O. KROGER, Ph.D. Professor Emeritus of Psychology University of Toronto
Rolf died, as he lived, with grace, courage, humour and dignity, at home on April 18th, 2003, of advanced prostate cancer. He was the devoted and beloved husband of Linda WOOD. He was the cherished son of Erna KROGER and son-in-law of Adele WOOD; loving brother of Harold and Jurgen KROGER; dear brother-in-law of Wilma KROGER, Edelgard DEDO, Lorraine WOOD, Robert and Deborah WOOD, and Reg WOOD; much loved uncle of Andrew KROGER and Stephen KROGER, Christina and Linda JUHASZ- WOOD, Taylor, Genna and Devon WOOD, Jonathan and Nicole WOOD, Phillippe NOEL, and Jose and David TILLETT, and nephew of Liesl WINTER, Otto WINTER and Alf and Sue MODJESKI. Rolf was born in Hamburg, Germany, on September 28th, 1931. He emigrated to Canada in 1952, and completed a B.A. in psychology at Sir George Williams College (now Concordia University) in 1957. Following his M.A. (1959) at Columbia University, New York, he received his Ph.D. in psychology from the University of California at Berkeley in 1963. His advisor, Prof. Theodore R. SARBIN (Prof. Emeritus, University of California, Santa Cruz,) has continued to be a valued colleague and dear friend, together with Rolf's fellow graduate student, Prof. Karl E. SCHEIBE of Wesleyan University and Karl's wife Wendy. Rolf joined the Department of Psychology at the University of Toronto in 1964 and continued his research and writing in social psychology after retiring in 1996. Rolf's work addressed a variety of topics concerning the individual in the social system. His articles and papers on the social psychology of test-taking, hypnosis, history, epistemology, methodology and the discipline of social psychology all reflected his dissatisfaction with the status quo combined with proposals for new directions. For more than 20 years he has worked with Linda A. WOOD (University of Guelph) on topics in language and social psychology (e.g., terms of address and politeness), and most recently on a book on discourse analysis. At the time of his death, he was working on a discursive critique of the 'Big Five' personality theory enterprise and on stories of his experiences growing up in Germany during the Second World War. Rolf also took great pleasure in teaching and greatly valued the opportunity to work for almost forty years with so many talented and enthusiastic students, both undergraduate and graduate. Rolf was privileged to have many long-lasting Friendships, and he was grateful for the encouragement, help and comfort given by so many, especially Bogna ANDERSSON, Eva and Fred BILD, Clare MacMARTIN and Bill MacKENZIE, Frances NEWMAN and Fred WEINSTEIN, Jesse NISHIHATA, Anne and Michael PETERS, Andrew and Judi WINSTON and Lorraine WOOD. We have also been sustained by the kindness of our neighbours on Walmer Road. We express our particular thanks and appreciation to family physician and friend, Dr. Christine LIPTAY. Our thanks go also to the staff of Princess Margaret Hospital, to the physicians and nurses of the Hospice Palliative Care Network Project, especially Dr. Russell GOLDMAN and nurses Francine BOHN, Joan DYKE, Dwyla HAMILTON, Lynda McKEE and Ella VAN HERREWEGHE, and to the nurses of St. Elizabeth, especially Liz LEADBEATER, Sylvia McCALLUM and Cecilia McPARLAND. Cremation was private. There will be an Open House for remembrance and celebration on Sunday, April 27th (3-7 p.m.), Monday, April 28th (4-8 p.m.) and Tuesday, April 29th (4-8 p.m.) at 98 Walmer Road, Toronto, Ontario M5R 2X7. Please direct any queries to Frances NEWMAN (416-351-0755.) In lieu of flowers, donations to Temmy Latner Centre for Palliative Care (700 University Avenue, Third Floor, Toronto, Ontario M5G 1Z5) or Amnesty International would be appreciated.

  N... Names     NI... Names     NIS... Names     Welcome Home

NISHIHATA - All Categories in OGSPI