All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"LOR" 2003 Obituary


LORE o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-12-11 published
An old-fashioned newsman
Distinguished journalist began humbly as a copy boy at the Hamilton Spectator and soared to the top of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
By James McCREADY, Special to The Globe and Mail Thursday, December 11, 2003 - Page R11
During the October Crisis of 1970, there were a lot of editors who buckled under. They followed the orders of the police and the Quebec and federal governments about not printing or broadcasting some details about the kidnapping of British Trade Commissioner James CROSS and the kidnapping and murder of Quebec cabinet minister Pierre LAPORTE.
Many editors and broadcast executives took to self-censorship, anticipating what the authorities wanted and keeping newscasts and newspapers clean. Denis HARVEY, who has died at age of 74, was not one of them.
Then editor of The Gazette of Montreal, the man he faced down was Jerome CHOQUETTE, Quebec's justice minister and the public face of authority during much of the crisis. CHOQUETTE did not want newspapers to publish the full manifesto of the Front de libération du Québec. Denis HARVEY ignored the request and published it.
The paper also broke the news that police had a photograph of James CROSS sitting on what looked like a box of dynamite. The justice minister warned The Gazette editor he could be arrested under the terms of the War Measures Act, but Mr. HARVEY called his bluff.
During the crisis, Mr. HARVEY didn't change his habits. When the paper was put to bed, he would walk to the Montreal Men's Press Club in the Mount Royal Hotel carrying the bulldog or first edition of the paper and sit at the bar and argue statistics with the sports editor, Brodie SCHNIEDER/SNIDER/SNYDER.
There would also be political discussions, some of them heated, since the man who wrote the stamp column at the paper had been called up from the reserves in the military and took himself, and the War Measures Act, quite seriously.
Mr. HARVEY was an old-fashioned newsman, a high-school dropout who rose to edit newspapers and who went on to run the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Television news service and then the entire Canadian Broadcasting Corporation-Television network.
Denis Martin HARVEY was born on August 15, 1929, in Hamilton, where his father was a customs inspector. He left school halfway through Grade 13 and landed a job as a copy boy at The Hamilton Spectator. This was not uncommon and was the traditional route for a young person coming into the newspaper business. Journalism schools were all but unknown and university-educated reporters and editors were rare.
He went from copy boy, ripping the wire copy off the machines, to listening in for police tips on radio scanners. He became a sports writer and in 1952 quit the paper and went to travel in Europe for six months. He came back to the Spectator as a general reporter the next year.
He did everything, from labour columnist to business writer. At 26, he was city editor of the Spectator and then news editor. In 1961, he was executive editor and held that job for five years.
In 1966, he moved to The Canadian Magazine, a joint venture with the Toronto Star. It meant leaving Hamilton after 21 years, but it was the first step to the most important job in his career editor of The Gazette, which he took over in 1969, the year he turned 40.
Mr. HARVEY was tough. He scared people with a gruff demeanour, which at times seemed like something out of The Front Page. When he arrived at The Gazette, it was losing the newspaper war with rival Montreal Star. Many editors had cozy sinecures. Almost right away, Mr. HARVEY fired the head of every department but one. When one editor came into his office and said he had found another job and was giving two weeks' notice. HARVEY shot back: "Two hours' notice." The man was gone in less.
However, he inspired loyalty in his staff of reporters and editors.
"He could be tough but he stood up for his staff. And he was completely honest and honourable. A stand-up guy," said Brian STEWARD/STEWART/STUART, who covered city hall at The Gazette and was later hired by Mr. HARVEY at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. "You always wanted to impress him."
One night at Martin's, a bar next door to The Gazette, there were complaints about a sports picture in the paper. The photographer said to Mr. HARVEY: " I'd like to see you do better."
Next night he was at the Forum for a Canadiens game. Along with two regular photographers, he took pictures which, unsigned, went back to the office for selection. His picture made the paper.
It was a combination of hot news stories and the ability to turn around a failing newspaper that made his reputation at The Gazette. The police strike in 1969, the October Crisis, riots and labour battles made the period one of the most exciting in the paper's history.
Having secured his reputation as an editor, Mr. HARVEY was lured away to television in 1973 to become chief news editor at Canadian Broadcasting Corporation Television News in Toronto. His colleagues told him he was crazy.
"My newspaper Friends said: 'How can you make the transition?' Mr. HARVEY said years later. "But I'm surprised more people don't. I believe in changing jobs."
Although he didn't know anything about television, he told people: "I do know pictures." He went to CBS in New York for a crash course in television news.
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation-Television News was as much of a mess as The Gazette had been. There had been a series of editors who hadn't managed to get a handle on the place. Mr. HARVEY took quick action and made it more professional, spending less time on bureaucracy and more time on the main newscast.
One night, an old-time producer was called into his office and the new chief news editor asked him why he hadn't gone with a fresh lead story. The producer replied he couldn't order anyone to do that -- that was the lineup editor's job. Mr. HARVEY disagreed and said: "Put on your coat and go home." The man kept his job, but worked on the desk and not as a producer.
During his short reign at Canadian Broadcasting Corporation News, he brought in fresh faces and got television reporters to think about breaking stories instead of following newspaper headlines. Audience levels rose and so did Mr. HARVEY, moving up the ladder at the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. But the promise of a big paycheque lured him to a three-year stint at The Toronto Star starting in 1978.
There, he was first in charge of the editorial page and then became editor in chief and vice-president. He left the Star in 1981 and was replaced by George RADWANSKI, the future federal privacy commissioner, who had worked for him at The Gazette. Mr. HARVEY returned to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, taking over sports for the English network. By 1983, he was vice-president of the entire English network of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.
He held that job for seven years. He used to say his favourite part of the job was the power to do programming. He changed the face of the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation and it has stayed that way. Mr. HARVEY took the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation all Canadian -- it took several years but he stopped running American program in prime time.
"We have handed over this most powerful medium to a foreign country," he told a broadcasting conference in 1990. "Nowhere else in the world had one country imported the total television of another country."
Along with Canadian content, one of his lasting creations was the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation's news and current-affairs specialty channel Newsworld. He left the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in 1991 and worked off and on as a broadcast consultant. He spent a lot of time travelling and took up some rather un-tough-guy hobbies, such as bird-watching and going to the ballet.
Mr. HARVEY, who died after a brief struggle with cancer, leaves his wife Louise LORE, and Lynn and Brian, his two children from an earlier marriage.

  L... Names     LO... Names     LOR... Names     Welcome Home

LORE - All Categories in OGSPI

LOREE o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-09-13 published
KEITH, Jean Campbell
On September 12, 2003, in her 90th year, Jeannie, whose light brown hair had long since turned to silver, died after a third bout with cancer. She was a proud graduate ''with honour'' of University College, at the University of Toronto, in mathematics and sciences, in 1935, a time when these fields of study did not always welcome women. Employed in the actuarial department of Canada Life Insurance Company, she married Arthur George KEITH on May 1, 1940, after a long engagement, immediately before he went overseas with the Second Field Regiment of the Royal Canadian Engineers. After his safe return and many years together in Port Credit and Toronto, Art and Jeannie retired to the Bowmanville area, where both were active in St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church. Jeannie was predeceased by her brother, Howard, in 1994 and by Arthur in 1996. She will be tenderly remembered by her children and their partners: Maggie KEITH and Robert STACEY; Gordon KEITH and Shanna FAROUGH; and Louise WATSON and Don LOREE; and by her sisters-in-law Marian BEATTY of Saint Mary's, and Louisa KEITH of Toronto. Her family thanks the staff of the Altamont Nursing Home for their care and compassion and her Friends and minister at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church and Wilmot Creek for the love and support that enabled Jeannie to live her last years with grace and dignity. Friends may call at the Northcutt Elliott Funeral Home, 53 Division Street North, Bowmanville, on Sunday, September 14 (2: 00-4:00 P.M. and 7:00-9:00 P.M.). The funeral will take place at the funeral home at 1: 00 P.M. on Monday, September 15, 2003, followed by tea at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, 47 Temperance Street, Bowmanville. In place of flowers, the family would welcome donations to St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church Accessbility Fund or the Alzheimer's Society.

  L... Names     LO... Names     LOR... Names     Welcome Home

LOREE - All Categories in OGSPI

LORIMER o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-11-04 published
HEFFERON, Margaret Jane
Died suddenly on Monday, November 3, 2003 in her 72nd year, at St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto, Ontario. Survived by her husband Dennis, sons Michael (wife Kathleen) and Thomas (wife Patricia), her daughter Kathleen (husband Jed LIPPERT) and her 2 loving grandchildren Colin and Rory. She is also survived by 3 sisters, Maureen (husband Ted LORIMER,) Patricia (husband Robert RIDDELL) and Linda (husband Mario MASTROMARTINO) and 2 brothers, Jim KERNAGHAN (wife Carol) and John KERNAGHAN (wife Michelle.) Her life was devoted to the care of people in her career as a nurse (Toronto East General Hospital) and as a public health nurse (Durham Region). Since her retirement she helped found the Caring Alliance to help the homeless and was a dedicated visitor to and supporter of housing for disadvantaged families living in motels. She will be sorely missed by her family, her Friends and the many whose lives she touched. Visitation will be held at the ''Scarborough Chapel'' of McDougall and Brown, 2900 Kingston Road (east of St. Clair Avenue East), on Wednesday, November 5th from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. Funeral service will be held on Thursday, November 6th at 11 a.m. from Washington United Church. Interment will be private. As expressions of sympathy, donations made to St. Michael's Hospital Foundation would be appreciated.

  L... Names     LO... Names     LOR... Names     Welcome Home

LORIMER - All Categories in OGSPI