All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"GER" 2003 Obituary


GERARD o@ca.on.manitoulin.howland.little_current.manitoulin_expositor 2003-01-29 published
Lawrence Stephen MIGWANS
In loving memory of Lawrence Stephen MIGWANS, September 26, 1925 to January 13, 2003.
Larry MIGWANS, a resident of the Wellness Centre, M'Chigeeng, passed away at the Manitoulin Health Centre, Mindemoya on Monday, January 13, 2003 at the age of 77 years. He was born at M'Chigeeng, son of the late David and Madelene (DEBASSIGE) MIGWANS. Larry joined the army at the age of 16 and served overseas in World War 2, and was a member of Branch #177 Royal Canadian Legion, Little Current. He also enjoyed playing the violin and guitar, and working in his garden. Predeceased by his wife Desira (BEBONING) MIGWANS. Loving father of Mabel NOLAND, Caroline BEBONING, Patrick BEBONING, Martina MIGWANS, Lorraine, Patsy, Carol, Kerry and Brenda WEMIGWANS. Loved grandfather of several grandchildren and great grandchildren. Dear brother of Agnes (predeceased,) Annie BISSON, Regina, Raymond (predeceased,) Pauline CORBIERE (predeceased,) Melvina GERARD (predeceased,) Christine PAGE, Nora MIGWANS, Maurice, Kenneth and Francis MIGWANS. Also survived by many nieces and nephews. Friends called at the M'Chigeeng Complex. The funeral mass was celebrated at Immaculate Conception Church, M'Chigeeng, on Friday, January 17, 2003 with Father Robert FOLIOT as celebrant. Interment in M'Chigeeng Cemetery. Culgin Funeral Home

  G... Names     GE... Names     GER... Names     Welcome Home

GERARD - All Categories in OGSPI

GERHART o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-11-08 published
'There are too many ruined boys'
By Erin ANDERSSEN, Saturday, November 8, 2003 - Page F6
Parry Sound, Ontario -- Clara WHITE/WHYTE began her voyage into war by losing her purse on the way to the train. It was September 15, 1915. Her diary names it "a bright sunshiny day" and notes the crowd's "rousing send off." The soldiers and nurses, Ms. WHITE/WHYTE among them, left Toronto for a Montreal military ship and a voyage, beyond Wales and icebergs, to a continent of falling bombs and death.
She landed in London first, with time on her hands, as she wrote in her red, leather-bound diary, to shop, sip tea and tour the galleries.
Clara WHITE/WHYTE was not one to sit idly by. At times, her account of the First World War -- enlivened by daily weather reports, notes on the cost of things (60 cents then for a pie) and the "peculiar" fashion of the day -- reads more like a Grand Tour than a Great War. She wanders the Zoological Gardens in London, dines at the Grand Hotel du Louvre in Boulogne and climbs the 1,224 steps of the cathedral in Rouen, making it to the top even when "the other girls gave up the ascent."
Nursing the sick and wounded in camps at Rouen and Solonika, Ms. WHITE/WHYTE surely would have seen the cost of war, but her diary focuses instead on the bits of life she could find in the midst of it.
"There are," she writes in one letter home, "too many ruined boys around now." But she barely details in her diary what has ruined them. She tells in spare sentences of working in the German measles tent or waiting for the typhoid patients to arrive; she makes antiseptic note of bombs overhead. Two stitches in her own cheek merit a single line and no explanation.
Maybe you didn't talk of such things then, her great-niece, Phyllis GERHART, speculated. And perhaps this is what Ms. WHITE/WHYTE wanted to remember: the cherry-strawberry supper in her tent on Dominion Day, "the boys" caroling on Christmas Eve, tea with the other nurses to plan for a "grand masquerade to celebrate the closing of 1915" -- even as bombs fell nearby, injuring some men and killing a shepherd and six sheep.
Her descendants don't know much about her, beyond the small diary. It sat for decades in a dresser drawer in the bedroom of her niece, Laura BAKER, and was eventually passed to her daughter, Ms. GERHART, who lives now in Parry Sound.
Ms. WHITE/WHYTE's mother is believed to have died when she was young, and her father to have been connected to the silk trade. The family lived in Toronto, near the Danforth, and Clara and her sister, Alice, were raised in a proper, middle-class Victorian household.
The sisters were close, but took separate paths: Alice helped at home and eventually married and had a family, while Clara escaped to school and nursing.
On April 7, 1915, she volunteered to go to war. According to military records at the National Archives, she was 41. She was paid $50 a month.
In a faded picture from that time, Ms. WHITE/WHYTE stares back with a half-smile, standing near woods in her nurse's uniform, the belt cinched tight around her thin waist, dark bangs poking out beneath her veil.
The impression left by her diary is of an energetic woman, keen for an adventure. At the masquerade party on New Year's Eve, 1915, she reports that she took first prize, dressed as John Bull (the British version of Uncle Sam). She makes note of having a hearty laugh at the sight of a Frenchman hoisting his wife up on a cart by her backside.
Many of her days were spent walking into the village to do laundry, and writing letters; at home, they received postcards, rose bulbs and a box of soldier's buttons. She took pictures too, touristy shots collected into an old album her relatives still own, of the ship that took her across the ocean, of the camp in France and of the scenery.
In one picture, she is sitting on stone steps, the only woman with a dozen soldiers. One of her wartime possessions was a bullet with a cross carved into its tip. The story behind it has been lost, though Ms. GERHART likes to imagine it was a gift from a grateful patient.
Ms. WHITE/WHYTE's last entry is dated May 8, 1916. But the military records say she was still in Europe in 1918, when she contracted influenza. She didn't sail home until the summer of 1919. A year later, with the war over, she was discharged from service. She never married.
Her fate is the subject of some confusion: Ms. GERHART had always understood that her great aunt died of influenza, after contracting the illness while nursing patients. But a handwritten note on one of the folders in the archives says she passed away in 1930. The diary of an independent woman, spirited in the midst of hardship, is the only trace she left behind.
Erin ANDERSSEN is a reporter in The Globe and Mail's Ottawa bureau.

  G... Names     GE... Names     GER... Names     Welcome Home

GERHART - All Categories in OGSPI

GERMAN o@ca.on.manitoulin.howland.little_current.manitoulin_expositor 2003-11-26 published
Howard Kenneth HOLMES
In loving memory of Howard Kenneth HOLMES who died unexpectedly at home on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 at the age 72 years.
Beloved husband of Joyce (née VINEY.) Loved father of Bonny and husband Douglas KILGOUR of Fort McMurray, Kenneth and wife Evelina of Longlac, Joe and wife Joyce of Bidwell Rd., Manitowaning, Diana HOLMES and friend Williard PYETTE of Tehkummah, Sharon and Robert Case of the Slash, and predeceased by son Douglas (1957). Cherished grandfather of Allison KILGOUR and friend Jason, Heather and husband Gopal BRUGALETTE, Kenny HOLMES and friend Sarah, Crystal and husband Rob PERIGO, Nick HOLMES and friend Melanie, Pam SHEAN, Pat SHEAN, Scott CASE, Brock CASE. Forever remembered by four great grandchildren Jazzlynn, Taylor, Faith and Nikaila. Will be missed by brother Clarence and wife Guelda of Mitchell and sister Dorothy and husband Gordon GERMAN of Crossfield, Alberta and in-laws Harry VINEY of Gore Bay, Charlie (wife Lillian predeceased) VINEY of Wikwemikong Manor, Glenn and wife Margaret VINEY of Kinmount, Gladys (predeceased) and husband Harry JAGGARD of Manitowaning. Predeceased by Grace and husband Carmen HUNTER, Ruth and husband Bill and Loretta and husband Neil McGILLIS. Visitation was held on Thursday, November 20. Funeral service was held on Friday, November 21, 2003 all at Island Funeral Home. Burial in Hilly Grove Cemetery.

  G... Names     GE... Names     GER... Names     Welcome Home

GERMAN - All Categories in OGSPI

GERRY o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-09-04 published
Artist and portraitist refused to compromise
Works in his trademark use of colour hang in the Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital and in private collections
By Carol COOPER Special to The Globe and Mail Thursday, September 4, 2003 - Page R9
When the director of the University of Toronto's Hart House Gallery needed a portrait of Hart House warden Dr. Jean LENGELLÉ, she called artist Gerald SCOTT.
"In this case, Gerry was a perfect fit for Jean, because Jean wanted something that was not staid and traditional, which is certainly Gerry," said the director, Judi SCHWARTZ.
"He [Dr. LENGELLÉ] liked the patterning approach that Gerry took, and the two of them got along very well."
Mr. SCOTT painted the 1977 LENGELLÉ portrait and countless others in the manner of his friend and mentor, Group of Seven artist Fred VARLEY.
"Gerry placed colours together that you wouldn't think of, and when you stand back from the painting, you get the effect of the work, and when you get closer to it, you start to notice the colours," Ms. SCHWARTZ said of the LENGELLÉ portrait.
One of the foremost Canadian portrait painters, whose works hung in the inaugural exhibition of Toronto's prominent Greenwich Gallery along with those of Michael Snow, Graham Coughtry and William Ronald and are found in the Art Gallery of Ontario, Toronto's Mount Sinai Hospital and numerous private collections, Mr. SCOTT died of cancer at the age of 76. Along with Dr. LENGELLÉ, Mr. SCOTT's subjects included a Bermudan prime minister and a Baroness Rothschild. One of six children, whose father worked as a building engineer and car salesman, Gerald William SCOTT was born in Saint John. Although his birth certificate reads September 30, 1926, Mr. SCOTT always said it was wrong and he was born in 1925. To help support his family during the Depression, Mr. SCOTT danced on the city's docks, missing school to do so. After service in the Canadian army during the Second World War, he returned to Toronto where his family had settled.
There he met and married the Italian countess Josephine Maria INVIDIATTA. An English teacher who recognized her husband's gifts, she taught Mr. SCOTT to read. Thereafter, he read incessantly, devouring all types of material. Countess INVIDIATTA also encouraged Mr. SCOTT to attend the Ontario College of Art, now named the Ontario College of Art and Design.
Graduating from the college in 1949, Mr. SCOTT won the Reeves Award for all-round technical proficiency in drawing and painting. After a short career in advertising and turning down an opportunity to do a cover for Time magazine, he focused on fine art.
Mr. SCOTT taught at his alma mater part-time from 1952 to 1958 and full-time for a period beginning in 1963. And he participated in shows at both The Roberts Gallery and The Greenwich Gallery, later renamed The Isaacs Gallery.
While other artistic styles, such as abstract expressionism came and went, Mr. SCOTT continued with portraiture. "He didn't want to compromise his style," said his son Paul SCOTT. "He didn't follow trends."
Lacking the time to develop a body of work for a show, and with a self-effacing temperament which disliked the gallery scene, by the mid-eighties Mr. SCOTT no longer exhibited his work, sticking to commissions and teaching, and writing plays and poetry.
Teaching took up much of Mr. SCOTT's time, and he was known as a good one. For 25 years, he taught at the Three Schools of Art and later at the Forest Hill Art Club, both in Toronto.
"He was an inspirational teacher," said Michael GERRY, a student of Mr. SCOTT for six years and now an instructor at Central Technical High School in Toronto.
"He was one of the few people around who understands the vocabulary. He really knew his lessons. Not only was he skillful, he was thoughtful, unusually thoughtful. Colour and temperature were his specialty."
Said his friend and fellow artist Telford FENTON, "He had wonderful use of colour. It spoke to you."
A deliberate, patient and methodical instructor, popular with Rosedale matrons, Mr. SCOTT taught his students to observe colour. "He could see colour everywhere," said Joan CONOVER, who served as a portrait model for Mr. SCOTT. 'They're [the colours] there, Joanie,' he would say to me. 'All you have to do is stop looking. Close your eyes and then open them, very quickly. Close them, open them again, and you'll get a brief glimpse [of the colours].'"
Mr. SCOTT also demonstrated painting for his students. "Most teachers would not demonstrate," said another SCOTT student Roger BABCOCK. " His demonstrations were like a Polaroid picture. They would form before your eyes."
When students complained of lack of subjects, Mr. SCOTT told them how he stayed up nights painting works of his hand.
As he taught, Mr. SCOTT discussed the Bible, religion or politics. But he would not discuss his war experiences, according to Ms. CONOVER. "It made his stomach hurt," she said.
Mr. SCOTT used his right thumb for certain strokes, and was highly critical of his work, only signing it with persuasion.
Good Friends since the fifties with Mr. FENTON, the pair was known as the Laurel and Hardy of the art world.
Once, they sold the same painting to three different clients, eventually making good to all three. Another time while sailing, Mr. SCOTT's boat crashed into the dock of the Royal Canadian Yacht Club. Always charming Mr. SCOTT ended up in the club's bar, along with those of his party, treated to a round of drinks.
Mr. SCOTT continued working until he suffered a heart attack three years ago.
He died on July 13 and leaves his partner Joyce, two ex-wives, children Paul, Sarah, Hannah, Rebecca, Aaron, Amelia Jordan, Jarod and Dana, and five grandchildren. His first wife, Josephine, and a son, Simon, predeceased him.

  G... Names     GE... Names     GER... Names     Welcome Home

GERRY - All Categories in OGSPI

GERSHENOVITZ o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-04-22 published
Died peacefully on Sunday, April 20, 2003, age 95. Beloved husband of the late Lily GERSHENOVITZ, father of Dr. Ruth PIKE, Anita and Dr. Bernard FRIEDMAN, Dr. David and Janet GREYSON. Devoted grandfather of Robert and Ellen PIKE, Stephen and Lori PIKE, Jeffery and Alyson PIKE, Maggie and Matthew GREYSON. Proud great-grandfather of Brandon, Harrison, Matthew, Jordan, Daniel, Benjamin and Jonathan PIKE. He will be greatly missed by many relatives and Friends. Funeral at Benjamin's Park Memorial Chapel, 2401 Steeles Avenue West, Tuesday, April 22 at 10 a.m. Due to the Festival of Passover, shiva will commence Thursday evening, April 24 until Sunday, April 27, at 25 Whitney Avenue, Toronto. Donations may be made to the Harold and Grace Baker Centre Foundation (416) 654-2889.

  G... Names     GE... Names     GER... Names     Welcome Home

GERSHENOVITZ - All Categories in OGSPI