All Categories: A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z Welcome Home
Local Folders.. A B C D E F G H I J K L M Mc N O P Q R S T U V W Y Z
-1 +1

"FRI" 2003 Obituary


FRIDAY o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-08-19 published
Knocked unconscious, the young bomb aimer was saved when his flight engineer pushed him out of their stricken Lancaster
By Tom HAWTHORN Special to The Globe and Mail Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - Page R7
Victoria -- A Second World War bomb aimer who survived an ill-fated mission during which his friend Andrew MYNARSKI was later awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross for trying the save a trapped fellow crewman has died. Jack FRIDAY, who spent his peacetime career with Air Canada, died in Thunder Bay.
Mr. MYNARSKI's sacrifice awed a generation of children who learned of it in their school readers. Mr. FRIDAY was often asked to recount what happened aboard his doomed Lancaster as it burned over France. What many did not realize was that Mr. FRIDAY only learned the details of Mr. MYNARSKI's heroism after the end of the war.
On June 12, 1944, his Royal Canadian Air Force crew was assigned to bomb the railroad marshalling yards at Cambrai. The mission was similar to others in recent days, as No. 419 (Moose) Squadron attacked German reinforcements being rushed forward to repel Allied forces in Normandy.
Six days earlier, the crew had bombed coastal guns at Longues in the early-morning hours before the invasion fleet landed on D-Day. The Cambrai target -- their 13th mission -- was to be attacked on in the early morning hours of June 13. Later, superstitious survivors would speak of that coincidence as a missed omen.
Their Lancaster lifted off the runway at Middleton St. George in Yorkshire at 9: 44 p.m. on June 12. After crossing the English Channel, the bomber was coned -- caught in searchlights -- but the pilot, Flying Officer Arthur DE BREYNE, managed to manoeuvre his craft out of the dreaded lights.
The reprieve did not last long.
Rear gunner Patrick BROPHY, who sat in an isolated compartment at the rear of the aircraft, spotted an enemy fighter below. "Bogey astern! Six o'clock!" he shouted into the intercom, just before a Junkers 88 attacked.
Mr. DE BREYNE threw the bomber into an evasive corkscrew. In an instant, though, his plane was rocked by three explosions. Both port engines were knocked out and the wing set afire. A hydraulic line in the fuselage had also been severed and the midsection of the plane was burning.
The pilot ordered the crew to evacuate as he struggled to prevent the Lancaster from going into a dive. Mr. FRIDAY's duty as bomb aimer was to release the escape hatch. As he did so, the rushing wind whipped the steel door open, striking him above the right eye.
Flight engineer Roy VIGARS was the first among the other crew to clamber to the hatch.
"I made my way down to the bomb-aimer's position and found Jack FRIDAY slumped on the floor, unconscious," Mr. VIGARS told Bette PAGE for her 1989 book, Mynarski's Lanc. "I rolled him over, clipped on his parachute pack, and slid him over to the escape hatch and dropped him through the opening while holding on to the ripcord."
The act was risky, as the parachute could have wrapped around the craft's tail wheel. Mr. VIGARS saw that Mr. FRIDAY's parachute had opened clear of the bomber. He then jumped, followed by wireless operator James KELLY, navigator Robert BODIE and the pilot, who had recovered control of the bomber and set it on a gentle descent.
Unknown to those men, a terrible drama was being played out at the rear of the flaming craft.
As Warrant Officer MYNARSKI prepared to jump, he looked back to see that Flying Officer Patrick BROPHY was still at his rear-gunner's position.
Mr. MYNARSKI, the mid-upper gunner, crawled through the burning fuselage, his uniform and parachute catching fire. Mr. BROPHY was trapped in his seat and the men struggled desperately to free him.
Finally, Mr. BROPHY told Mr. MYNARSKI to jump without him.
Mr. MYNARSKI crawled back through the fire, stood at the door, saluted his doomed comrade, and leapt into the inky sky with his uniform and parachute in flames.
Aboard the Lancaster, Mr. BROPHY prepared for certain death.
Some miles away, Mr. FRIDAY floated unconscious to earth by parachute, landing near a chateau at Hedauville. A pair of farm workers found him in a vineyard the next morning. He was taken to a local doctor who feared reprisals for treating an Allied airman. The injured man was turned over to the Germans.
Mr. FRIDAY finally regained consciousness on June 17, wakening in a prison cell in Amiens. He feared he had lost his eye. A fellow prisoner peeked beneath Mr. FRIDAY's bandages and saw that a flap of skin was blocking his vision. The wound had not been stitched.
Mr. FRIDAY was reunited with Mr. VIGARS as their captors prepared to transport prisoners to Germany.
The pair were sent to an interrogation centre near Frankfurt, before being transferred to Stalag Luft 7 at Bankau, outside Breslau (now Wroclaw), in Silesia near Poland.
The men were separated again on January 18, 1945, as the Germans marched prisoners out of the camp ahead of the advancing Soviet army. The forced march was arduous. Many died of disease, exposure and exhaustion. Mr. FRIDAY survived by stealing frozen beets and potatoes from farmer's fields. He would later remember the only warm night of the march was spent in a barn, where he snuggled overnight with a cow. Mr. FRIDAY was at last liberated by the Soviets in April.
He returned to England in May, where, as recounted in the 1992 book, The Evaders, he prepared a statement, the brevity of which perfectly captured his sense of the dramatic events. "Took off from Middleton St. George. Do not remember briefing or takeoff. First thing I remember is coming to in a hospital in Amiens."
Only later did he learn what happened aboard the Lancaster. As the bomber crashed, the port wing struck a tree, causing the plane to veer violently to the left. The force freed Mr. BROPHY from his turret prison and he landed against a tree, far away from the burning wreckage. He had survived.
Mr. MYNARSKI, the son of Polish immigrants and a leather worker in civilian life, was not as fortunate. He was found by the French, but was so badly burned that he soon died from his injuries. He was 27.
The other crewmen, including Mr. BROPHY, evaded capture with the assistance of French civilians.
John William FRIDAY was the third son born to a pharmacist in Port Arthur, Ontario, on December 21, 1921. He graduated from Port Arthur Collegiate Institute before joining the Royal Canadian Air Force in 1942. He was demobilized with the rank of flying officer. He worked as an Air Canada passenger agent for 31 years before retiring in 1985.
In 1988, he joined his former crew mates in ceremonies marking the dedication of a restored Lancaster at the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum at Mount Hope, Ontario The aircraft, which was refurbished in the colours and markings of the crew's plane, has been designated the MYNARSKI Memorial Lancaster. MYNARSKI's name also graces a string of three lakes in Manitoba, as well as a park, a school and a civic ward in his hometown of Winnipeg.
Mr. FRIDAY died of cancer in Thunder Bay, Ontario, on June 22. He leaves Shirley (née BISSONNETTE,) his wife of 54 years, five children and four younger sisters. He was predeceased by two brothers.
Mr. BROPHY, whose life he tried to save, died at age 68 at St. Catharines, Ontario, in 1991. According to the second edition of MYNARSKI's Lanc, Mr. VIGARS, who saved Mr. FRIDAY's life, died in 1989 at Guildford, England; Mr. DE BREYNE died at St. Lambert, Quebec, in 1991; and, Mr. BODIE died in Vancouver in 1994. Mr. FRIDAY's death leaves James KELLY of Toronto as the only survivor.

  F... Names     FR... Names     FRI... Names     Welcome Home

FRIDAY - All Categories in OGSPI

FRIEDMAN o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-03-08 published
CHANDRAN, Beverley Anne
On Friday, March 7, 2003, in her 50th year, Beverley was called to, once again, be one with the Creator of Creation. She went with a blazing smile of glory in her soul, while giving her unselfish, unstoppable gratitude in peace, tranquility, and a twinkle in her eye. At home in Erin, Ontario with her loved ones. In their 29th year of marriage, ever beloved part of Clarence; eternally loving mother of sons Justin (23) and his wife Jennifer; Liam (21) and Keddy (19.) Only daughter of Ambrose and Theresa CARROLL and sister of Gary (Marlene), D'Arcy (Pam) and Paul (Harriet). Only daughter-in-law of Geoff and Lena CHANDRAN and sister-in-law of Brinda McLAUGHLIN (John.) Permanent thanks to dearest and giving Friends, old and new. And special thanks to: Dr. Alan FRIEDMAN and staff, Dr. Henry FRIEDMAN of Duke University Medical Center; Dr. Stephen TREMONT and staff of Rex Hospital Cancer Clinic Dr. Julian ROSENMAN and staff of University of North Carolina Radiation Oncology Clinic; Dr. Lew STOCKS and staff, Dr. Mike DELISSIO and staff, Dr. Robert ALLEN and staff, Dr. Donald BROWN, all of Raleigh and Durham, North Carolina, U.S.A. Dr. Peter COLE of Orangeville, Ontario, and the nursing staff of Robertson and Brown of Kitchener, Ontario. Visitation and a Celebration of Beverley's life will take place at her home: #4998, 10th Sideroad of Erin, Ontario (north of Ballinafad Road, south of 5th Sideroad). Visitation for family and Friends will be held on Sunday, March 9, 2003, from 2 pm to 8 pm. On Monday, March 10, 2003, there will be a private family Funeral Mass, after which, Friends and family are invited to participate in a Celebration of Beverley's life from 3 pm. to 8 pm. In lieu of flowers, the family respectfully requests donations be made to the American Cancer Society (P.O. Box 102454, Atlanta, Georgia 303068-2454) or The Canadian Cancer Society (Wellington County Unit, 214 Speedvale Avenue, W. Unit 4A, Guelph, Ontario N1H 1C4) Arrangements entrusted to Butcher Family Funeral Home, 5399 Main Street, South, Erin, Ontario, Canada. For more information call 519-833-2231.

  F... Names     FR... Names     FRI... Names     Welcome Home

FRIEDMAN o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-04-22 published
Died peacefully on Sunday, April 20, 2003, age 95. Beloved husband of the late Lily GERSHENOVITZ, father of Dr. Ruth PIKE, Anita and Dr. Bernard FRIEDMAN, Dr. David and Janet GREYSON. Devoted grandfather of Robert and Ellen PIKE, Stephen and Lori PIKE, Jeffery and Alyson PIKE, Maggie and Matthew GREYSON. Proud great-grandfather of Brandon, Harrison, Matthew, Jordan, Daniel, Benjamin and Jonathan PIKE. He will be greatly missed by many relatives and Friends. Funeral at Benjamin's Park Memorial Chapel, 2401 Steeles Avenue West, Tuesday, April 22 at 10 a.m. Due to the Festival of Passover, shiva will commence Thursday evening, April 24 until Sunday, April 27, at 25 Whitney Avenue, Toronto. Donations may be made to the Harold and Grace Baker Centre Foundation (416) 654-2889.

  F... Names     FR... Names     FRI... Names     Welcome Home

FRIEDMAN - All Categories in OGSPI

FRIEND o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-12-13 published
FRIEND, Harold Philip
Born 1921 in London, England, died peacefully at Harrow after a short illness on December 5, 2003 and laid to rest in Hertfordshire in the presence of his family, Friends, with son Jonathan (Toronto, Canada) in attendance.

  F... Names     FR... Names     FRI... Names     Welcome Home

FRIEND - All Categories in OGSPI

FRIESEN o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-06-16 published
WRIGHT, Barbara Hermine Montizambert
Died June 13, 2003 at age 72. She is sadly missed by her husband Dr. Thomas WRIGHT; her family Doctors Janet and the Reverend Paul FRIESEN and their daughter Anya of Halifax; Ian and Kaethe (née NEUFELD) WRIGHT and their children Jonathan and Caitlin of West Vancouver Margot and Rob LINKE and their children Cameron and Chloe of Saint John, New Brunswick; her sister Dorothy REID; and by many dear Friends and relatives. After graduating from nursing programs at the Royal Victoria Hospital and U of T, she worked as a public health nurse until her children were born. She then gave her time to family and Christian ministry. Her life was marked by her relationship with Jesus Christ and her knowledge of Scripture. She lived by the words: ''If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my Disciples.'' (John 15: 7,8). Barbara leaves behind two generations of family who love the Lord; rich Friendships and a loving marriage of 47 years. A Funeral Service will be held from St. George's Anglican Church, Lowville, at 7051 Guelph Line, on Tuesday, June 17th at 2 p.m. Visitation will take place one hour prior at the church. Donations to Middle East Christian Outreach, P.O. Box 307, Station A, Mississauga, Ontario L5A 3A1; S.I.M., 10 Huntingdale Boulevard, Toronto, Ontario M1W 2S5; or St. George's Anglican Church, 7051 Guelph Line, R.R. #1, Campbellville, Ontario L0P 1B0. Arrangements through the J. Scott Early Funeral Home, 21 James Street, Milton, Ontario L9T 2P3, (905) 878-2669.

  F... Names     FR... Names     FRI... Names     Welcome Home

FRIESEN - All Categories in OGSPI

FRISE o@ca.on.york_county.toronto.globe_and_mail 2003-08-08 published
Donald Kenneth FRISE
By Peter FRISE Friday, August 8, 2003 - Page A18
Husband, father, friend, teacher, mentor. Born July 2, 1930, in Peterborough, Ontario Died April 7 in Kingston, Ontario, of cancer, aged 72
Born as the Depression began, Don FRISE was part of a large family in a typical small Canadian city. During those tough times, Don helped his family by earning money driving a horse-drawn milk wagon at age 12 and later by working at Quaker Oats. These were not jobs for children, but Don was never afraid of hard work and he had a strong sense of duty, having to leave school early to do an apprenticeship as a test technician at Canadian General Electric. Don's meagre beginnings led to lifelong frugality and he taught his children about Registered Retirement Savings Plans (which all three started as teenagers) and the magic of compound interest.
Despite his busy schedule, Don was an excellent student. An old friend said that "it wasn't who came first at school -- it was who came second after Don." This love of learning translated into a love of teaching and mentoring young people. He enjoyed doing things such as carving a set of model submarines with his son and teaching him how to use a soldering iron. His family members were often recipients of carefully composed notes on topics ranging from how to study for exams to tips on wiring a basement.
Don had a gift for always knowing the right thing to do and then doing it well. In 1948, he bumped into an old school friend who told him that she needed a date for a nursing-school dance. He informed her that he didn't dance but would go along anyway. During the dance, she observed that he was actually a pretty good dancer and he modestly said that he was doing his best. Only many years later did he admit that he had spent much of the week's pay on dancing lessons so that he wouldn't embarrass Helen PRICE at the dance.
Helen and Don married in 1952 and had three children: Kathryn, Peter and Margaret. In 1959, Don left Canadian General Electric to attend teacher's college in Toronto, leaving a capable Helen with three small children; he returned to Peterborough to teach electricity at Kenner Collegiate in 1960. In 1963, Don and Helen moved to Richmond Hill where he became technical department head and later a vice-principal at Bayview Secondary School. As an up-and-coming educator, Don continued his own studies during the summer, earning an honours degree from Queen's University in 1969. He later took a sabbatical and earned a master's degree from York, which was not bad for a guy who had to leave school before finishing Grade 13.
He liked to travel, taking his family across Canada several times with a tent trailer; later he went to Russia as chaperone on a high-school trip. Once, in the 1960s, he told an Air Canada agent, who had rather coldly bumped his family off a flight: "If you don't get us to Florida today, you will be reading about this in Hansard tomorrow." The line was delivered calmly, politely and respectfully, but firmly -- and it worked. Later Don and Helen loved having family and Friends and their grandchildren at the cottage near Havelock. These cottage adventures were simple and gentle but Don treasured them.
Don told his son as he began his own teaching career: "Always remember that each of your students is somebody's pride and joy and deserves to be treated with compassion and respect -- no matter what their level of ability. Back home is a family who are thrilled that young Johnny or Susie is off learning how to be an engineer -- don't disappoint them."
Don believed in kindness, humour, respect for others, doing the right things and doing them right. He was an average person who had an extraordinary effect on those around him. At his funeral, several people spoke about how Don had influenced them to stay in school more than 40 years earlier and thereby changed their lives and those of their families. He is survived by his wife, his three children and his seven grandchildren
Peter FRISE is Don's son.

  F... Names     FR... Names     FRI... Names     Welcome Home

FRISE - All Categories in OGSPI