Mission and Objectives
Vision of the Ontario Genealogical Society
To be recognized as the authority and leader in all aspects of Ontario related family history research, preservation and communication.
To encourage, bring together and assist those interested in the pursuit of family history and to preserve our Ontario genealogical heritage.
OGS Objective and Sub-Objectives
The Objective of the Society is to encourage the study of genealogy and original genealogical research in the Province of Ontario.
This is further defined by the following sub-objectives:
- To promote and foster the study of genealogy and family history and original genealogical research in the Province of Ontario and to encourage the writing, publication, preservation and dissemination of such;
- To promote standards for genealogical excellence by encouraging and instructing researchers in current ethical principles, scientific methods and effective techniques of genealogical research;
- To promote the collection, preservation, organization and dissemination of material relevant to Ontario-related genealogical study in any applicable form;
- To publish and distribute material to further the objectives of The Society;
- To assist in the creation and operation of Branches and Special Interest Groups as genealogical interest grows in specific areas;
- To facilitate communication, networking and cooperation between and among The Society and its various Branches, Special Interest Groups and Members;
- To raise funds for The Society objectives and to accept donations, gifts, legacies and bequests;
- To share expertise in genealogical and family history research in other geographic areas;
- To work with other organizations to preserve and share information relating to the heritage of Canada and Ontario, in particular;
- To represent the interests, concerns and viewpoints shared by Ontario genealogists and family historians by communicating these to public authorities, academia, the media and other genealogical societies with the aim of favourably influencing their views and decisions.