We are able to do research for ancestors who lived in the City of Hamilton & former Wentworth County.
Research Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or you may contact us via postal mail
Hamilton Branch OGS
c/o Research Services
Lincoln Alexander Elementary School
50 Ravenbury Dr. Rm. 1
Hamilton, Ontario L8W 2B5
PLEASE NOTE: Research Services will be on summer break from June 26 to September 4, 2014. The last day for requests to be submitted is June 19th.
Our research is conducted by Branch volunteers at our office, on-line, at local repositories, McMaster University and area locations. Costs will vary if travel related costs are incurred.
Submitting A Research Request
- Type or write your request so it is easy to read.
- Be specific about what information you want us to find.
- Provide specific geographical locations and dates if known.
- List the sources you have already searched for the information.
- State your level of expertise in genealogy: novice, some experience, etc.
The Branch is pleased to receive your request, and, for a fee of $40.00, payable in advance, you will receive an initial comprehensive search in our library and document collection of the following resources:
- Hamilton Branch Surname files (contain names from the following):
- Christian Messenger
- Ancestry Charts (from Hamilton Branch members)
- Cemetery Transcriptions - Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid (OCFA) and/or the OGS Cemetery Ancestor Index and Cemetery Locator
- Various Funeral Home Records (available to 1952)
- Hamilton Branch Bulletins
- 1859 Surtees Maps (1859 maps with names printed on lots created by Robert Surtees)
- 1875 Wentworth Atlas/Index
- Hamilton City Directories: 1858, 1866, 1875, 1890, 1892/93, 1931 - 1988, 1993-1999, 2005-2008
- Census Indexes: 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901, 1911, 1921
- Wesleyan Methodist Baptismal Register: 1825 - 1898
- Wentworth County Marriage Register: 1858 - 1869
- Miscellaneous reference material for Wentworth County
Research will begin immediately upon receipt of your payment and will include postage, handling and up to 10 photocopies. Photocopies beyond these 10 will be charged at 50 cents each. Remember that an unsuccessful search requires the same amount of time as a successful one. This research can involve up to 3-4+ hours of work for each individual name.
If you have found an entry on the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid or the Ontario Ancestor Cemetery Index and require a photocopy of the page from the Hamilton Branch OGS Cemetery booklets, include the exact reference (e.g. HM-235 ADAMS, John), please pay in advance: $5.00 per transcription. Additional transcriptions within the same Cemetery Booklet are $2.00 each.
If weather conditions permit and a research volunteer is available, we can provide photographs of cemetery markers. The charge is $20. This includes travel expenses, and 4 photographs. Please contact us with your details before submitting payment.
Newspaper Announcements And Articles
These include obituaries, funeral accounts, death notices; birth, marriage and anniversary announcements; newspaper articles related to accidents, trials, inquests, etc. from local newspapers (if exact date of event is known).
These are $5.00 each, including postage and handling.
Single items to the U.K., Australia, etc. will be billed an additional $2.00 for the extra postage required.
On occasion we are able to conduct research in archives and libraries outside the Branch office regarding individuals who were residents in the Hamilton-Wentworth area. There is a $25.00 surcharge per institution visit to cover transportation and parking costs. Please contact us with a description of your specific request prior to submitting payment.
If you have found an entry on the Hamilton Branch Surname Index and require a photocopy of the page from the Hamilton Branch OGS Cemetery booklet, please pay in advance: $5.00 per transcription. Additional transcriptions within the same booklet are $2.00 each. Items from the Christian Messenger booklet or Funeral Home booklet are $3.00 each.
To assist us in your request, family group sheets or a detailed summary of the information you already know would be helpful.