Hamilton Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society
Research Services for Wentworth County:
Ancaster, Barton, Beverly, Binbrook, City of Hamilton, Dundas,
East Flamborough, Glanford, Saltfleet, Stoney Creek, West Flamborough
Research Contact: email@example.com
Due to the Summer Break, the last day to submit a Research Services request is June 20, 2013. Regular services will resume again September 5, 2013.
SUBMITTING A RESEARCH REQUEST
- type or write your request so it is easy to read
- be specific about what information you want us to find
- provide specific geographical locations and dates if known
- list the sources you have already searched for the information
- state your level of expertise in genealogy: novice, some experience, etc.
The Branch is pleased to receive your request, and, for a fee of $35.00, payable in advance, you will receive an initial comprehensive search in our library of the following resources:
- Hamilton Branch Surname files (contain names from the following):- 1859 Surtees Maps
Christian Messenger Ancestry Charts (from Hamilton Branch members) Cemetery Transcriptions - Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid (OCFA) and/or the OGS Cemetery Ancestor Index and Cemetery Locator Various Funeral Home Records (available to 1952) Hamilton Branch Bulletins
- 1875 Wentworth Atlas/Index
- Hamilton City Directories: 1858, 1866, 1875, 1890, 1892/93, 1931 - 1988, 1993-1999, 2005-2008
- Census Indexes: 1851, 1871, 1881, 1901
- Wesleyan Methodist Baptismal Register: 1825 - 1898
- Wentworth County Marriage Register: 1858 - 1869
- Miscellaneous reference material for Wentworth County
Research will begin immediately upon receipt of your payment and will include postage, handling and up to 10 photocopies. Photocopies beyond these 10 will be charged at 50 cents each. Remember that an unsuccessful search requires the same amount of time as a successful one. This research can involve up to 3-4+ hours of work for each individual name.
If you have found an entry on the OCFA (http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/homepage.html) or the Ontario Ancestor Cemetery Index (http://ogs.andornot.com/CemeteryIndex.aspx) and require a photocopy of the page from the Hamilton Branch OGS Cemetery booklets, include the exact reference (e.g. HM-235 ADAMS, John). Please pay in advance: $5.00 per transcription. Additional transcriptions within the same Cemetery Booklet are $2.00 each.
CEMETERY PHOTOGRAPHS:NEWSPAPER ANNOUNCEMENTS AND ARTICLES: Including obituaries, funeral accounts, death notices; birth, marriage and anniversary announcements; newspaper articles related to accidents, trials, inquests, etc. from local newspapers (if exact date of event is known). These are $5.00 each, including postage and handling.
If weather conditions permit and a research volunteer is available, we can provide photographs of cemetery markers. The charge is $20. This includes travel expenses, and 4 photographs. Please contact us with your details before submitting payment.
Single items to the U.K., Australia, etc. will be billed an additional $2.00 for the extra postage required.
CUSTOMIZED SEARCHES: On occasion we are able to conduct research in archives and libraries outside the Branch office regarding individuals who were residents in the Hamilton-Wentworth area. There is a $25.00 surcharge per institution visit to cover transportation and parking costs. Please contact us with a description of your specific request prior to submitting payment.
If you have found an entry on the Hamilton Branch Surname Index and require a photocopy of the page from the Hamilton Branch OGS Cemetery booklet, please pay in advance: $5.00 per transcription. Additional transcriptions within the same booklet are $2.00 each. Items from the Christian Messenger booklet or Funeral Home booklet are $3.00 each.
To assist us in your request, family group sheets or a detailed summary of the information you already know would be helpful.
PAYMENT - We offer several options for payment.
1. PayPal - We will send you an invoice via PayPal which will direct you to the PayPal website to complete your transaction. All clients will be billed in Canadian dollars.
2. Personal cheque - Canadian and U.S. clients only, payable to "Hamilton Branch OGS", in Canadian dollars for Canadian clients, and in U.S. dollars plus 5% foreign exchange for U.S. clients.
3. International Money Order (must be negotiable in Canada), payable to "Hamilton Branch OGS" in Canadian dollars
revised June 12, 2013